bufumufu3

Two Questions Regarding the N-400

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I have two issues I need cleared up before I file the N-400, and I was hoping I could get some advice on this site because reaching a customer service representative at USCIS is next to impossible :)

1) I am a college student going to school in Massachusettes, but my home (as in my parents' home) is in Orange County of California. I will be putting my home address as the one in California and my mailing address as the one in Massachusettes (since that's where I'll be this year). Since I will be in school this upcoming year I need to complete the interview and the oath in Massachusettes, not California. But if I write my home address as the one in California and my mailing address as the one in Massachusettes, will I be called by USCIS to do the interview and the oath in Massachusettes? If not, do I designate my address in Massachusettes as my home address in order to do so?

2) I understand that traffic tickets do not need to be reported in the N-400. I received a ticket for failing to yield a couple of years back, and I will assume that this incident does not need to be reported. If this is wrong, please tell me. My main concern is the fine I received for trespassing about 4 years ago in high school. A friend and I were cutting across a railroad and on the other side a cop gave us a ticket/fine for trespassing on government property. I had to go in front of a judge, plead guilty, and pay a fine. Is trespassing considered a crime that I need to report in the N-400.

Any response will be appreciated guys :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Since my step daughter is going to a state university, a temporary address and I was handling her immigration, we just stuck with her permanent address which was our home. Really don't know anything about going to a university across country. But she is staying at the dorm that kicks her out 70% of the time, my kids that leased an apartment and found jobs, that apartment was their permanent address.

Failing to yield can either be a close call or a death or serious injury, no detail on that, but if the fine was under 500 bucks, don't have to report it. Government owned property can be a city park that closes at 11:00 PM. can get a ticket if you are there at 11:01 PM if the cop is nasty enough. Or can be a top secret military base, quite a difference between these two scenarios.

Just one small thing to add for Q1, I think your home address needs to be the place where you've living that fulfills the DO residence criteria for N400 ("has resided within a state or district for at least three months"). I assume you can put your MA address as mailing address, but I would think they would FP you in CA...

On 2) the trespassing should probably be disclosed but sounds like you were a minor at the time (?), so perhaps won't be as difficult to deal with

Others with more knowledge than me will reply soon I'm sure...

Edited by wannabe_texan

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

Filed: Timeline

I've already lived at my college for three months, so I don't think this'll be a problem.

I think I'll put my home address as my college address to simplify matters. That way I'll receive mail at my college, and be prompted to complete my interview and oath by USCIS near my college since they don't have any other address from me. The only problem I see with this is that it's pretty obvious the address is located at a college since it mentions the name of the institution in the address. Does anybody see a problem with this option?

I've already lived at my college for three months, so I don't think this'll be a problem.

I think I'll put my home address as my college address to simplify matters. That way I'll receive mail at my college, and be prompted to complete my interview and oath by USCIS near my college since they don't have any other address from me. The only problem I see with this is that it's pretty obvious the address is located at a college since it mentions the name of the institution in the address. Does anybody see a problem with this option?

I have a similar concern. Most people usually end up in different dorms at my college, and I don't know how convenient it is to keep changing addresses, especially if the application process ends up taking a long time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.