GuardianOne

Dual Citizenship

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We're not that far ahead, but it's come up in conversation a few times. I was discussing with my fiance if she wanted to stay a green card holder or become a US Citizen and she was undecided. She still wants to be a Philippines Citizen because her family is there and so we can buy land, and possibly start a business without any issues. I've read up briefly that it's possible to become a dual citizen of the Philippines, as well as the US. Does anyone have any details on this?

The main benefits of becoming a US CItizen is to possibly petition some of her family her, MAINLY vote in elections/polls and access to certain jobs that require clearance.

My Fiance: GuardianAngel

K-1 Visa Timeline:

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent: July 23, 2009

Check Cashed: July 29, 2009

NOA1: July 28, 2009

NOA2: October 21, 2009

Left NVC: October 28, 2009

Medical Passed: December 15/16, 2009

Interview Passed: January 19th, 2010

Air21 Confirmation: January 25, 2010

Visa received: January 26, 2010

CFO Completed: January 27th, 2010

Flight to US: Febuary 3rd, 2010

MARRIED!: March 20th, 2010

AOS Timeline:

AOS, EAD, AP Filed: April 29, 2010

AOS, EAD, AP NOA1: May 6th, 2010

EAD, AP Biometrics: May 25th, 2010

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, she can apply a DUAL citizenship. tell her she should not worry about it'and go for a DUAL citizenship because she have more great benifits of it.

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you just got married your wife can not HOLD DUAL Citizenship. The law changed many years ago and the only ones

that can DUAL it are those children that have one of the parents as a U.S. citizen.

To answer your question. First if she becomes a U.S. citizen she looses the right to own property and the Medical from the Philippines. She is not U.S.A certified (LOL) and her connection to the Philippines is only her past not her future.

In my case I want my wife to stay a Philippine citizen and hold Permanent residence here in the U.S.A. that way we can own property in the philippines and she has the best of both worlds. If I die it is then up to her if she wants to break the ties to the Philippiens which I would feel she WILL NOT.

We are build a house in CDO Cagayan De Oro and that is not possible if she was to be a U.S. citizen we would have to put it in her Mom and Dads name. NO THANKS.

Rosie and David

single 15 years married 5 months ....now I know what peaks and valleys are in life. LOVE my wife hehehe

When i had my CFO seminar,its says that you can choose become a dual citizen and you gonna pay taxes in US and in the philippines..That is what i knew from my seminar!!!!

Edited by davra

= Lifting Conditional Status =

=TIMELINE=

June 01, 2012 = Date Filed

2uy0dqv9l9c.png

[GOD,i thank you so much for answering my prayers..Thank you so much...

Timeline
If you just got married your wife can not HOLD DUAL Citizenship. The law changed many years ago and the only ones

that can DUAL it are those children that have one of the parents as a U.S. citizen.

To answer your question. First if she becomes a U.S. citizen she looses the right to own property and the Medical from the Philippines. She is not U.S.A certified (LOL) and her connection to the Philippines is only her past not her future.

In my case I want my wife to stay a Philippine citizen and hold Permanent residence here in the U.S.A. that way we can own property in the philippines and she has the best of both worlds. If I die it is then up to her if she wants to break the ties to the Philippiens which I would feel she WILL NOT.

We are build a house in CDO Cagayan De Oro and that is not possible if she was to be a U.S. citizen we would have to put it in her Mom and Dads name. NO THANKS.

Rosie and David

Thanks for the information, good we knew this now, because we are also thinking the same thing, to have a dual citizenship :wacko:

September whole month of conversation

October 04,2008 - Went to see me in person in the Phils.

October 12,2008 - He proposed to me :D

October 15,2008 - My baby went back to US :(

November 15,2008- Sent K-1 petition

November 24,20008 -NO1

December 17,2008 - Second visit of my baby to Phils.

Jan.02,2009 - Baby went home to US again :(

February 25,2009 - NO2

March 13,2009 - Early medical (failed) :(

March 25-27,2009 - Sputum test

March 31,2009 -Smear negative (thanks God) :D

May 27,2009 - Culture results NEGATIVE :D

May 28,2009 - Interview (PASSED)

May 30,2009 - My baby arrived in the Phils. to bring me back with him to US :D

June 10,2009 - Flight to US, POE Chicago

July 08,2009 - Happily married :D

July 31,2009 -Sent AOS

August 06,2009 - NO1

September 14,2009 - Biometrics taken

September 21,2009 - EAD Production Ordered :)

September 28,2009 - EAD Card Received

October 14,2009 - Green Card (touched)

December 22,2009 - Mailed RFE

January 4,2010 - NO RFE YET :(

January 11,2010 - Received RFE mail from USCIS

January 23,2010 - RFE response mailed

January 27,2010 - USCIS resumed processing

January 28,2010 - Touched

February 02,2010 - Card Production Ordered

February 08,2010 - Green Card received!! :D

Timeline
When i had my CFO seminar,its says that you can choose become a dual citizen and you gonna pay taxes in US and in the philippines..That is what i knew from my seminar!!!!

Really? That's great! hehe, I am late during my siminar in CFO, maybe I missed that part. :blush: Thanks davra.. :dance:

September whole month of conversation

October 04,2008 - Went to see me in person in the Phils.

October 12,2008 - He proposed to me :D

October 15,2008 - My baby went back to US :(

November 15,2008- Sent K-1 petition

November 24,20008 -NO1

December 17,2008 - Second visit of my baby to Phils.

Jan.02,2009 - Baby went home to US again :(

February 25,2009 - NO2

March 13,2009 - Early medical (failed) :(

March 25-27,2009 - Sputum test

March 31,2009 -Smear negative (thanks God) :D

May 27,2009 - Culture results NEGATIVE :D

May 28,2009 - Interview (PASSED)

May 30,2009 - My baby arrived in the Phils. to bring me back with him to US :D

June 10,2009 - Flight to US, POE Chicago

July 08,2009 - Happily married :D

July 31,2009 -Sent AOS

August 06,2009 - NO1

September 14,2009 - Biometrics taken

September 21,2009 - EAD Production Ordered :)

September 28,2009 - EAD Card Received

October 14,2009 - Green Card (touched)

December 22,2009 - Mailed RFE

January 4,2010 - NO RFE YET :(

January 11,2010 - Received RFE mail from USCIS

January 23,2010 - RFE response mailed

January 27,2010 - USCIS resumed processing

January 28,2010 - Touched

February 02,2010 - Card Production Ordered

February 08,2010 - Green Card received!! :D

name='david2' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:13 AM' post='3162133']

If you just got married your wife can not HOLD DUAL Citizenship.

IF She is a k1 holder she can apply American citizenship in advance before exactly 3 years of living here in the US.

That's NOT TRUE, I called the Philippine embassy and asked about it. they said a Filipino who became American citizen can STILL OWM A PROPERTY IN THE Philippines as long as you are A DUAL CITIZEN.

Edited by lotus101

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

(

davra @ Jul 29 2009, 10:19 AM)

That's true!

name='david2' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:13 AM' post='3162133']

If you just got married your wife can not HOLD DUAL Citizenship.

IF She is a k1 holder she can apply American citizenship in advance before exactly 3 years of living here in the US.

That's NOT TRUE, I called the Philippine embassy and asked about it. they said a Filipino who became American citizen can STILL OWN A PROPERTY IN THE Philippines as long as you are A DUAL CITIZEN.

From what I know, since the US honors dual citizenship - then yes possibly she can become one.

But from what I know in the Philippines, Dual Citizenship can only be attained if by operation of law you acquired two citizenship. (ie. born in US by a Filipino parent). BUT Philippine law is very flexible to say the least when it comes to immigrants, they are allowed to purchase homes here. Likewise, if she wants to come back to PI and wants to have her citizenship back (if for some reason she lost it), she can re-aquire it through a petition in court (if I'm not mistaken).

don't worry, go ahead with the naturalization, she can certainly buy properties here and come back and be a Filipino Citizen again if she wants.

It's amazing how many of you are NOT aware of what lies ahead of you in the immigration process and how you will be affected.

What? Just go for US citizenship and see what happens? :bonk:

http://www.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_con...9&Itemid=40

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

It's amazing how many of you are NOT aware of what lies ahead of you in the immigration process and how you will be affected.

Actually, I do know about this. But the laws are just printed.. but in practice, it is not so strict.

I have a lot of friends who holds Filipino Citizenship and are also naturalized Canadian citizens.

They have two passports. They have properties here and in Canada.

That's the thing, Philippines is not like the US. More or less, the matter of holding dual citizenship legally

mostly depends on what the US laws are, because here... frankly, anything goes here... so long as it benefits the

goverment (you are paying your real property taxes), and you are not running for political positions, you will be safe

in a sense.

Things are done differently here, what the law says and what the practice of the people are

two different animals.

Edited by tngirl21809

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I find your statement quit assuming and arrogant. I am sorry we all aren't as smart as you, I feel unworthy of even existing on this earth when I am in your shadow. :whistle: Everyone starts somewhere. If you look at my timeline, we just submitted the K1 Visa, that means we still have years to go until she could even apply to become a citizen. But of course, you're omniscience, you already know this. We're trying to plan ahead, we know the general course of which to take, but we don't know all the details.

In any case, thanks for the link.

My Fiance: GuardianAngel

K-1 Visa Timeline:

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent: July 23, 2009

Check Cashed: July 29, 2009

NOA1: July 28, 2009

NOA2: October 21, 2009

Left NVC: October 28, 2009

Medical Passed: December 15/16, 2009

Interview Passed: January 19th, 2010

Air21 Confirmation: January 25, 2010

Visa received: January 26, 2010

CFO Completed: January 27th, 2010

Flight to US: Febuary 3rd, 2010

MARRIED!: March 20th, 2010

AOS Timeline:

AOS, EAD, AP Filed: April 29, 2010

AOS, EAD, AP NOA1: May 6th, 2010

EAD, AP Biometrics: May 25th, 2010

If people knew everything about the immigration process, such a forum wouldn't exist. This forum is for people who DON'T know and need support and advice.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.