Leo&Farah

The Malaysian VJ Thread

587 posts in this topic

Hi people of VJ, I need some help on some of the things that I am not sure of. Any help is greatly appreciated and if I post in the wrong thread, do let me know

I actually went to US in December and applied for the normal B1/B2 visa as my initial plan was to visit my girlfriend there. Due to some unforeseen circumstances (not due to pregnancy or anything illegal smile.png ), we decided to get married. Also because of the circumstances we are in, my wife decided to stay in US (she is a green card holder) whereby I came back to Malaysia alone.

Now she is trying to apply for permanent residence status for me in US so we can live together in US but would need some help on some questions

(1) She will be my sponsor, so she will be applying K-3 visa for me? If not what should she apply for?

I would think your route is CR-1, K-3 is no longer issued. Most K3 are being moved to CR-1

(2) I have extracted my birth certificate in the new format with both English and Malay subject/titles but the

information is still written in Malay. Example is Tarikh Lahir / Birth date but the date is still written in Malay.

Can that be used or I will need to have it translated?

You can only use this for interview in the US Embassy Malaysia. When you go to US and apply for stuff there, you still need fully English translated. I got mine at the court for RM50.

(3) If needs to translated, is there a list of "approved" translator can I need to use?

Mostly court, Not sure if lawyer is ok.

(4) If I don't need to translate my birth certificate, do I still need to have it certified by a notary member?

Mine is translated and certified true copy, I just make duplicate copy of it. You can then give both copy and certified copy, they will give you back the certified as that will be used as your original birth certificate but English version.

I hope I do help a little by answering to all your questions.

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi all,

Would like to check whether is there any additional documents I need to get ready before I board the flight? My fiance visa wad approved and I am leaving to US today.

I am bringing the sealed envelope given by the embassy and the x ray film.

Appreciate your kind advise

Hi all,

Would like to check whether is there any additional documents I need to get ready before I board the flight? My fiance visa wad approved and I am leaving to US today.

I am bringing the sealed envelope given by the embassy and the x ray film.

Appreciate your kind advise

That's all you will need! Don't even know if I answer in time. Have a safe flight

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

• 2 weeks later...

I am approved and my review is up.

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi all,, new here :) apply for k1visa :) I'm much confuse with COGC,, I apply mine thru online www.kln.gov.my 03.21.2014 submit , since new announcement say no need give hard copy, all done by ONLINE.. so I check again my COGC 03.24.2014 status certificate ready for collect !!!! I thought I will be done by 2 month!!! Ms.headache attack :( .. I making call many time today not even bother my job, so bad :( they tell me that this is the one will be use for US embassy and should be just fine... Pls help..

Timeline

Hi Vansjed. That means it is ready for collection and you can collect it at any KLN office near you with rm20 fee. Mine took 2 months to be ready, maybe they are now starting to really do their job so everything is processed faster. Good luck!

Our Story

April 2012 - Met in my hometown

Sept 6, 2012 - Trip to the Philippines

Sept 7, 2012 - Officially a couple

Dec 3-7, 2012 - Trip to Hong Kong!

April 20, 2013 - I went to Guam biggrin.png

May 2013 - Came back and he proposed!

Jan 3, 2014 - Official engagement according to my custom

K1 Visa Journey

August 28, 2013 - Mailed I-129F

Sept 10, 2013 - NOA1 (hardcopy)

Oct 2, 2013 - NOA2

Nov 6, 2013 - NVC received (Case creation date)

Nov 8, 2013 - NVC left

Nov 12, 2013 - Embassy received

Nov 22, 2013 - CEAC status updated (p3 sent to me)

Nov 29, 2013 - Received P3

Dec 2, 2013 - Replied P3

Dec 4, 2013 - CEAC status updated (Embassy received P3)

Dec 13, 2013 - CEAC status updated (interview date assigned - Called DoS to get it)

Dec 16, 2013 - Medical in Kuching - Passed

Dec 20, 2013 - Received P4 hardcopy

Jan 9, 2013 - RESULT: APPROVED!!!!!

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks Janice &Micah. Sorry for the late reply.

I just realized that when I am here before married, I need to apply for SSN? So far we have ye set the date yet. But my 90 days will be up on 8th May.

And it says that to apply, I need to have a I-94. Can anyone advice me where to get that? Or do help to advise what documents I need to bring to the SSA office?

Appreciate your soonest response.

Thanks Janice &Micah. Sorry for the late reply.

I just realized that when I am here before married, I need to apply for SSN? So far we have ye set the date yet. But my 90 days will be up on 8th May.

And it says that to apply, I need to have a I-94. Can anyone advice me where to get that? Or do help to advise what documents I need to bring to the SSA office?

Appreciate your soonest response.

Yeah, you can apply for SSN before marriage or after with your new married name but it has to be 14 days before the expiration date.

I-94 is now electronic and you can extract it online and have it printed out. Take that with you when you apply.

Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

This guide is a little old. You can start going to the SSN office the next day to apply. I got my SSN done on the next day upon arrival

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

Timeline

Thanks again for ur kind respond.

I am in the midst of completing the application form and theirs a part which I have to check whether I am ' legal alien allowed to work' and ' legal alien Not allowed to work' which one should I checked since I m on k1.

To re-confirm documents below is the documents I am suppose to bring, please let me know if I am missing out on any documents that I am suppose to bring?

1) passport

2) social security card application form

3) I -94

Also, do I need to certified any of the documents as well?

The SSA office is far away from my house hence I want to make sure I am not missing out in bringing any documents there.

Look fwd to your advice

Yeah, you can apply for SSN before marriage or after with your new married name but it has to be 14 days before the expiration date.
I-94 is now electronic and you can extract it online and have it printed out. Take that with you when you apply.

Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

This guide is a little old. You can start going to the SSN office the next day to apply. I got my SSN done on the next day upon arrival

Thanks again for ur kind respond.

I am in the midst of completing the application form and theirs a part which I have to check whether I am ' legal alien allowed to work' and ' legal alien Not allowed to work' which one should I checked since I m on k1.

To re-confirm documents below is the documents I am suppose to bring, please let me know if I am missing out on any documents that I am suppose to bring?

1) passport

2) social security card application form

3) I -94

Also, do I need to certified any of the documents as well?

The SSA office is far away from my house hence I want to make sure I am not missing out in bringing any documents there.

Look fwd to your advice

You are ok with the list of stuff to bring. Please bring 2 items to proof your identity, birth certificate, driver license or whatever as long as it's proof! School transcript and etc etc. At least it's written clearly on the form that you need another identity other than your passport. Try to bring that just incase they asked you for it. The officer that process my papers did not ask me for mine.

You mark "Legal alien allowed to work"

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94: Electronic I-94 Copy; or (for older entries) an original (and bring a front/backside copy) of a valid paper I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. You should also bring the document RM 10211.530 that you printed out

Read the guide again so that you have the whole list of things needed.

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

Timeline

Hi Craymel,

I-94 used to be physical paper attached by US immigration to your passport when you enter US, now all this is online.

You can retrieve your I-94 from this site https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Is I-94 and I-94W the same thing?

I am at the cbp website and when I search for this form , it only has I-94W.

Timeline

Thanks Nanraj!?

This has confirm that I got the right form then.

Much much appreciated.

Hi Craymel,

I-94 used to be physical paper attached by US immigration to your passport when you enter US, now all this is online.

You can retrieve your I-94 from this site https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.