MarPhee

Visa Expiration

15 posts in this topic

hi VJers :)

i got my visa last may 9 and i will be flying to US (Tacoma, WA) this June 25. My visa expires on Oct. 15, 2009. what is the visa expiration for? is it like i need to file for AOS before it expires? do i also need to take the medical in US? i had my medical april 17, 2009. about my vaccination according to St. Luke's personnel (doctor/nurse/medi tech) i need to have another shot of those 1 or 2 vaccines i forgot those two... ill give u the name of the vaccines later when i got home. :luv: hehehe.. and it says ill take it after a month.. it confuses me i wont gonna be able to fly to US after a month after my medical... so i have to do the vaccination all over again? or i have to do the medical all over again?

me and my fiance are planning for a civil marriage but according to him we will try the inquire about church wedding the prob is we need to attend classes for the church wedding and it will take a month or so im just afraid my visa will expire then or my medical will expire then... by the way how many months will the medical expires? when u adjust status how would they count for medical expiration? is it for the time of filing AOS or is it during scheduled interview or medical? :bonk:

Lastly, what is the easiest way or the comfy way for a marriage for limited time? civil or church marriage? the first plan actually is to do church wedding in Cebu since my family is here and his family too (mother's side) and there in the US is civil marriage. :innocent:

Thanks for the replies :)

God Bless Us :)

August 6, 2009 - AOS Sent together with EAD and AP
August 17, 2009 - Received NOAs of AOS, EAD and AP
Sept. 15, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment
Sept. 24, 2009 - Received E-mail approval notice for EAD and AP
October 2, 2009 - AP on hand
October 3, 2009 - EAD card on hand
November 12, 2009 - Interview Date / Approved
November 23, 2009 - Green Card Received

March 21, 2012 - Lifting Conditions

May 22, 2013 - Citizenship

Hi,

Your K-1 visa expires 6 months after it's issued because it is a requirement that you get married within that timeframe to the person who petitioned you. That's the only thing the visa is for, so goodluck choosing how to get married :star:

As for the vaccines, if the requirements are still the same (obviously it's been awhile for me, based on my timeline), i think it's MMR and TD? I had mine done after I got here, you have to shop around for an affordable clinic, it can get expensive so call around to check. Same with when you do the medical paperwork for AOS when you have to look for a civil surgeon (but that comes after the wedding, so get hitched first before anything else! :yes: )

Anyhow, happy wedding and goodluck with your journey!

Animated flag courtesy of virtuallandmedia.com

Oops! Let me correct myself: the requirement is to get married within 90 days of your entry to the US, so as long as you get here before that visa expires, you should be fine. I dont think the date is important for anything else, esp. not when you file for AOS. Cheers!

Animated flag courtesy of virtuallandmedia.com

i got my visa last may 9 and i will be flying to US (Tacoma, WA) this June 25. My visa expires on Oct. 15, 2009. what is the visa expiration for? is it like i need to file for AOS before it expires? do i also need to take the medical in US? i had my medical april 17, 2009. about my vaccination according to St. Luke's personnel (doctor/nurse/medi tech) i need to have another shot of those 1 or 2 vaccines i forgot those two... ill give u the name of the vaccines later when i got home. :luv: hehehe.. and it says ill take it after a month.. it confuses me i wont gonna be able to fly to US after a month after my medical... so i have to do the vaccination all over again? or i have to do the medical all over again?

me and my fiance are planning for a civil marriage but according to him we will try the inquire about church wedding the prob is we need to attend classes for the church wedding and it will take a month or so im just afraid my visa will expire then or my medical will expire then... by the way how many months will the medical expires? when u adjust status how would they count for medical expiration? is it for the time of filing AOS or is it during scheduled interview or medical? :bonk:

Lastly, what is the easiest way or the comfy way for a marriage for limited time? civil or church marriage? the first plan actually is to do church wedding in Cebu since my family is here and his family too (mother's side) and there in the US is civil marriage. :innocent:

They will give you a form I94 to fill up. An I-94 is a form denoting the Arrival-Departure Record of particular foreigners.

As you enter the U.S. through a U.S immigration port-of-entry. The U.S. immigration official gives your fiancé(e) instructions on what to do when he/she enters the United States. You must get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry into the United States.

The K-1 visa allows a fiancé(e) to enter the United States one time only. If you leave the United States after entering on a K-1 visa, you may not re-enter on the same visa. If you want to leave and re-enter the United States, you should apply with Form I-131 Application for Travel Document to the USCIS office that serves the area where you live for advance parole to return to the United States.

After marriage, your spouse must file Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live in the United States. You must fill out the Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, with the USCIS for your spouse's application to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR).

If your spouse’s medical examination for their Fiancé Visa was done in the last year, they DO NOT need to go through the entire exam again. Once that year period has passes, a full exam will be required with the application.

If you can file before the year expiration, then your spouse will only need to include an immunization update with the adjustment of status package. This will still require a visit to the Designated Civil Surgeon, but the cost for an update is MUCH less than a full examination. The Surgeons will not tell you these facts as they see many patients with differing needs. So you will need to tell them these details.

2008 K1Timeline:

I-129F Application

10/25 Received letter from USEM

11/21-11/22 Med Exam

12/02 Interview date, 7AM (Approved)

12/10 Visa on Hand

Date & Place of POE: 12/17 Detroit

03/10/09 Wedding

2009 AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

4/07 Mailed AOS Package

4/08 Package received

4/14 Cashed Check/

4/18 Biometrics I-485

4/29 Biometrics done

5/02 CSC Transferred

5/05 I-485 Touched (This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)(30 days)

5/12 I-485 Touched

5/15 EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approval notice sent

5/18 EAD/AP Touched

5/20 Touched

5/21 AP Received by Mail (44days)

5/22 EAD Received by Mail (45days)

6/25 GC card production ordered!

6/30 Welcome Letter notice received dated 6/26

7/07 Approval notice sent

7/08 GC received by mail

2012 N-400 Timeline:

5/22 Sent

5/30 Cashed Check

Oops! Let me correct myself: the requirement is to get married within 90 days of your entry to the US, so as long as you get here before that visa expires, you should be fine. I dont think the date is important for anything else, esp. not when you file for AOS. Cheers!

Right. As for the wedding, if you are in a hurry to get marry (like we did), have a civil ceremony. The Catholic churches we went to see for a church wedding wanted us to attend classes for six months. Bummer! We can't wait that much for us to have a church wedding. We decided to go to the courthouse and get marry. :star:

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are in a hurry and do not want to have too much stress to prepare for a church wedding in just 90 days.. then go for a civil wedding then do the church wedding later. That is what my hubby and i did. We went to Toledo, OH to have a courthouse wedding and for him to get me in his insurance right away. He said he is just worried that if i would get sick med fees costs a lot here. So, the day after we got married he changed his status in his insurances and put my name in it too. Then i applied for my SSN. After a week i received in mail my SSN card and health & dental insurance card.

Like others said, before you have church wedding you have to attend seminars. Preparing a church wedding in just 90 days sucks and stressful. After you get married you can apply for AOS.

Soy la casa de mi amado y mi amado es mío.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are a member of a parish and you know the priest, sometimes the marriage prep can be expedited. My wife and I started attending marriage preparation one week after she got here and we got married about 50 days after her arrival. We got married at a Jesuit parish. They seem to be pretty open minded about making exceptions if your reason is valid. Our parish normally would have required us to schedule a wedding date one year in advance, but when we explained that we had to marry within 90 day because of the visa requirement, they accommodated us. When you tell them that you're getting married either way, but would prefer to be married in the church, they can make exceptions.

Good luck!

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Am I the only who got this wrong.. but I think she said she wants to get married in CEBU first before flying to US. That'll mean she's entereing as a spouse not fiance....

You are a K1 right? I don't think you should get married in the Philippines. You are supposed to enter the US as a fiance not wife.

I'm not sure now coz you have your visa already. You might get into some problems. Check with other people or immigration lawyer.

Your visa expires in 6 months, that means you should enter the US within 6 months. Once you enter US you should get married in 90 days.

Edited by tngirl21809

Filed: Timeline

The visa has a 6 months expiration date and you should enter the US before the visa expires, at your POE the DHS officer will give you the I-94 arrival/departure record that you have 90 days to marry your fiance.

I think the comfy way to get married within that 90 days you have is a civil marriage. My husband and I had a church wedding. After we got approved with our visa August 2008, he then immediately prepare the church wedding, and yes the catholic church here required us to attend an "Engaged Encounter ' in Seattle for 3 days. We did this a week after I came here (2nd week of october )and next weekend after that we went to marriage counseling couseling for 2 days I was glad we did it because though the marriage camp was a little bit boring we learned something, I get to know my hubby more and we were able to discuss on matters that we never thought before. And because our wedding falls in the first week of november, we have to finish everything/ finalize our wedding preparation. We did the preparation ourselves since his parents lives in Ohio. We thought it was just so easy since it's just a simple wedding with family and friends, but it was not. The reservation, the music, the hotel, the food. whew! we just spent our time doing the preparations. So on our wedding day my hubby and I are just so exhausted and tired that on our wedding night, we just fell asleep. "knockdown kaming dalawa". Yet we are happy that we are finally married.

I know it's always nice to have your wedding the best one but with the 90 days you have it's a bit difficult unless you have someone to help you prepare. You can always get married again, if you want. :)

Edited by sojen

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Having a church wedding in Cebu would be a bad idea. If you're coming to the US on a K1, having a church wedding in the Philippines would invalidate the visa. You can always go back to the Philippines for a celebration once you've adjusted status.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Am I the only who got this wrong.. but I think she said she wants to get married in CEBU first before flying to US. That'll mean she's entereing as a spouse not fiance....

You are a K1 right? I don't think you should get married in the Philippines. You are supposed to enter the US as a fiance not wife.

I'm not sure now coz you have your visa already. You might get into some problems. Check with other people or immigration lawyer.

Your visa expires in 6 months, that means you should enter the US within 6 months. Once you enter US you should get married in 90 days.

ohhh... I'm sorry maybe i didnt explain it the right way... the wedding in Cebu will occur after 3 yrs or so or if I'm allowed to enter back the US. So since I am using K1 visa i should marry there in the US :)... just confused which is the best way to do for wedding in the US for 90 days period :)... though it is OK now. Me and my Fiance already talked about it on how we will do it.

Thank for for the wonderful replies :)

congrats gusto ko lang magtanung malapit na kasi ang aking interview ung sa appoinment letter ko walang ds form na dapat fil apan nabasa ko sa post mo my ds kang finil apan IR1 ang aking category kailingan ko nang sagot salamat im happy for u

congrats gusto ko lang magtanung malapit na kasi ang aking interview ung sa appoinment letter ko walang ds form na dapat fil apan nabasa ko sa post mo my ds kang finil apan IR1 ang aking category kailingan ko nang sagot salamat im happy for u

I'm sorry but I'm K1 category :/

nope.... everything you submitted sa DS230, un na un. Tapos dala ka ng Marriage Index(CEMAR), NSO marriage Cert, BirthCert, Passport, tska ung mga email, sulat, phone records, pics nyo ng hubby mo.

Aralin mo po mabuti ung sinagot nyo pareho ng husband mo sa lahat ng forms nyo para alam mo sagutin ung mga tanong sa interview.

Good luck!

ohhh... I'm sorry maybe i didnt explain it the right way... the wedding in Cebu will occur after 3 yrs or so or if I'm allowed to enter back the US. So since I am using K1 visa i should marry there in the US :)... just confused which is the best way to do for wedding in the US for 90 days period :)... though it is OK now. Me and my Fiance already talked about it on how we will do it.

Thank for for the wonderful replies :)

Oh!! Okay... good luck po sa wedding!!! ang saya saya!!!! hehe.... congrats!!! Enjoy mo ung wedding mo.

Ung sa Cebu, yes, makakauwi ka na po after mo mag-adjust ng status. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Around IL, church wedding required 6 months notice prior to date of the wedding. Good thing is that my fiance got our church wedding date (August) last March, and we asked to re-schedule our seminar around June. Thank goodness they allowed us. As for the preparation on our church wedding, we started it last April. To minimize the expenses, I bought some wedding stuff here such as my wedding gown, his barong and pants, souvenirs, invitation, wedding ring and pillow (coins are not included at the ceremony). Nearly cost me around 1200usd. My fiance take care of wedding reception, cake, photography, DJ, flowers and church fees.

I hope I gave you some ideas. ;)

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.