YESandNO

IMBRA Intentions may be good, but it's execution is bad

1 post in this topic

Filed: Timeline

PRO - protecting women from abuse is why this law should be implemented. No foreign lady wants to be buried in U.S. soil by an abusive husband.

CON - I don’t get it. The law is about protecting immigrant women, than why the exemptions for some of the larger dating sites. I saw a post by a foreign lady on another site who said it this way.

“My questions to the law makers of this land are, what will your rationale be when one of my sisters are murdered by a male member of one of the exempted sites? Or, are you not concerned about the thousands of men who are members of the exempted sites because these large corporate sites line your political pockets? Is it your career rather than our safety that you are really concerned about?”

I know not all sites are created equal. Yet, any man who wants to avoid the background questions by a dating site can join an exempted site like Yahoo. I know the rationale behind the exemption (based on the percentage of your site being international), what puzzles me is that a large company like yahoo has thousands of men looking for foreign women. Granted, that may be a smaller percentage than an IMB site that is 100% international, but yahoo 10% international is probably thousands more in numbers than a small international dating site.

I say, it should apply across the board. If IMBRA’s intention is to protect women, make all dating sites follow the law. An immigrant women has just as great of a chance at meeting an abusive male on yahoo or any exempted site, as an IMB site.

PRO - It will clean up the sleazy international dating sites. Lets hope so. There are two many sites that are about sex and not romance. They need to go.

CON - For the American Joe who has nothing to hide, he can join without much fear except one. For him to say hi to a lady, he has to disclose his background information before he gets to know her. There are just as many sleazy women on sites trying to milk men for money as there are abusive men – maybe more. If Joe has to send his background to every women he wants to say hi to before he gets to know the lady, the law just open the door for him to be hustled.

Why not provide this background info when the man petitions the lady for marriage – not when he wants to say hi. She will get a copy of his background and if she decides he is not husband material, she can refuse the petition and still be safe in her country. I thought the U.S. would be more diligent in protecting their U.S. citizen’s privacy from foreigners.

I’ll use another quote from a lady on another IMBRA site:

“If I was a prostitute in my time that had to do what she could to survive, that doesn't make me an unworthy woman for marriage, no more than it would make me unworthy to receive my degree; nor should I be forced to divulge this information to a guy I haven't had a chance to get to know. A man worthy of such information is someone I want to be certain he will accept me for who I am, not who I was. He will never get the chance to meet the loving person I am now, if a law brands me for being an unworthy wife before that person gets to know me. Such self-righteousness by lawmakers sickens me as they cover up their own flaws from their past while polluting our freedoms to meet and marry someone without concern for that person's privacy. Thank God I wasn't branded as being unworthy to go to college and get an education or that I had to divulge my past to a college professor before he would teach me. If that would of been the case, America would of taken away the chance for me to better myself.”

I think if any women had to disclose her background during the introduction stage of a relationship, she would object. Imagine in the domestic dating world, that before you could go on a first date, you had to provide your background information for that person to read. If that was the case, the domestic dating world would soon become obsolete or everyone would lie about their background. You don’t want to tell a stranger you haven’t had a chance to get to know anything too personal. But if the relationship progresses, you may not mine and probably should if you plan on getting married..

IMBRA intentions are good. It just needs to be tweaked, no exemptions for large dating sites and needs to be executed at the right time. If we have that, we have a good law that protects immigrant women from abuse and protects the average Joe’s privacy from being invaded at the inappropriate time. I say protect immigrant women, congress, just be smart about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.