SomedaySomehow

Flying to US on K-1 and a Layover?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone had experience with this .... more specifically having a flight from Manila to the US with a layover in Tokyo, Japan.

We are starting to look at different flight options and costs and by far the fastest cheapest route for us seems to be Manila to Toyko than Tokyo to Minneapolis/ St. Paul on Northwest Airlines. We are curious to what the the procedures are with a plane change when holding a K-1? I assume it doesn't affect anything in Tokyo but would love to hear any body who has had first hand experience with this. We have a few months to go yet as we are still waiting on our NOA1 ! :angry: :angry: But with everything else we have tried to stay ahead and on top of everything to try and avoid any kind of delays!

Thanks,

Jeremy and Jenelyn

Edited by SomedaySomehow

Met: November 05, 2008

Met in Cebu first time: March 27, 2009

Engaged: March 29, 2009

Filed K1 Fiance Visa : April 15, 2009

Fly to the US Finally: October 10, 2009

Married : November 07, 2009

Pregnant YAY : Baby due July 03, 2010 :)

File AOS/EAD/Travel: February 26, 2010

EAD/Travel approved: April 26, 2010

Our Baby Boy Born: June 24, 2010

AOS approved YAY! Green Card Received October 4, 2010

Has anyone had experience with this .... more specifically having a flight from Manila to the US with a layover in Tokyo, Japan.

We are starting to look at different flight options and costs and by far the fastest cheapest route for us seems to be Manila to Toyko than Tokyo to Minneapolis/ St. Paul on Northwest Airlines. We are curious to what the the procedures are with a plane change when holding a K-1? I assume it doesn't affect anything in Tokyo but would love to hear any body who has had first hand experience with this. We have a few months to go yet as we are still waiting on our NOA1 ! :angry: :angry: But with everything else we have tried to stay ahead and on top of everything to try and avoid any kind of delays!

Thanks,

Jeremy and Jenelyn

she should be fine!!! as long as she wont go outside the airport in tokyo (coz that needs another visa), then she's perfectly safe... a friend of mine was a K1 visa holder too and her layover was narita japan and she experienced no problem whatsoever... our vj member SJ (seanjean) just had her flight 2 weeks ago i think mnl-japan-michigan has the same experience!!! good luck to you guys!

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline

Thanks,

Jeremy and Jenelyn

she should be fine!!! as long as she wont go outside the airport in tokyo (coz that needs another visa), then she's perfectly safe... a friend of mine was a K1 visa holder too and her layover was narita japan and she experienced no problem whatsoever... our vj member SJ (seanjean) just had her flight 2 weeks ago i think mnl-japan-michigan has the same experience!!! good luck to you guys!

Ahhh thank you very much for the quick reply. Ya that is pretty much the same route she would be taking ... execpt instead of Michigan ... it will be Minnesota ... almost the exact same flight path though. But thank you again ... I personally was just worried of any problems she could encounter in the airport in Narita .... there are plenty of pinoy on those flights so I know she will meet someone on the flight that can help her switch planes too going to the same destination. I just wasn't sure how it worked if holding a K1 visa and not having been to the US yet. Thanks again RonMay!

Met: November 05, 2008

Met in Cebu first time: March 27, 2009

Engaged: March 29, 2009

Filed K1 Fiance Visa : April 15, 2009

Fly to the US Finally: October 10, 2009

Married : November 07, 2009

Pregnant YAY : Baby due July 03, 2010 :)

File AOS/EAD/Travel: February 26, 2010

EAD/Travel approved: April 26, 2010

Our Baby Boy Born: June 24, 2010

AOS approved YAY! Green Card Received October 4, 2010

Yup flight 2 then flight 20. Been there and done it may times. Last time was in March with my wife for the first time. She is on a K3. Just do not leave the airport in Japan.

Love forever,

Dale & Trisha

Married: 9/29/2008

K3 Visa

POE-MSP: 3/13/2009

AOS/EAD

Greencard received: 08/29/2009

Removal of Conditions:

Approved: 10/20/2011

Citizenship

9/19/2012

Thanks,

Jeremy and Jenelyn

Ahhh thank you very much for the quick reply. Ya that is pretty much the same route she would be taking ... execpt instead of Michigan ... it will be Minnesota ... almost the exact same flight path though. But thank you again ... I personally was just worried of any problems she could encounter in the airport in Narita .... there are plenty of pinoy on those flights so I know she will meet someone on the flight that can help her switch planes too going to the same destination. I just wasn't sure how it worked if holding a K1 visa and not having been to the US yet. Thanks again RonMay!

YW... mine was hongkong and i was running late on my flight (blame it on PAL) i asked some airport officer and i cant hardly understand his english at all... went to the wrong side coz of his help lol... but it was also my first time goin out abroad alone and it was a quite an adventure for me. sense of being independent heheh... so i bet she'll be ok! dont worry a lot of people will help her (airport people)... :thumbs:

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Jeremy, Your fiance won't have any problems as long as she doesn't leave the airport as someone already posted and yes..she will have plenty of help from airport officials in switching planes at Narita International. Have been there and they are very helpful. Good luck on your journey

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Timeline

she'll be fine. of course, the crews there will know that she is bound to US with a K1 visa. Be sure that she always have her passport, ticket or whatsoever.

Eternally destined,

Angel&Saint

MY K1 TIMELINE

AOS

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2009-02-04

NOA Date : 2009-02-06

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-03

Interview Date : 2009-05-19

Approved :2009-05-19

Got I551 Stamp : yes

Greencard Received:2009-06-26

EAD

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2009-02-04

NOA Date : 2009-02-06

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-03

Approved Date : 2009-04-01

Date Card Received :2009-04-13

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

When we last came through Japan by the time we got off the plane, went through security, bathroom, it was time to get back in line. Just follow the line/crowd.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

On my way to US, I landed on Japan first, not in Tokyo but in Narita Airport. As long as your fiance won't go out of the airport then she will be fine.

Don't forget to bring the yellow/brown envelope, just a reminder :star: Happy trip :)

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.