bobb

Visa for Cousin for Wedding Celebration

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

OK,

In a couple of weeks I expect to know my SO's interview date in Moscow. Should be late June. At the moment, I'm planning on going back in mid-August to bring her back here. We will marry, probably, on 9/01 in a civil ceremony. She would like her cousin to come to our wedding and/or our wedding celebration party which will be 9/19. I have read in another post that tourist visa's are processed very quickly.

Looking on the USEM website non-immigrant (B2) visa application pages puts several questions in my mind.

1. When should we have him apply for the tourist visa? After she has her visa in hand? Before?
  2. What would you suggest I can do other than send him an email or letter asking him to attend our wedding celebration? He would add this as part of his documentation, to go with the customary: job, own property, married, children, etc.
  3. How long should this take, if Question 2 is in order with his documents he needs to provide, for him to receive his Visa once he has applied?

I know there could be other issues, but for this discussion let's assume he has no problem obtaining the Visa.

He'll have to fill out a DS-156 online and a DS-157 if he is between 16-45. I don't know yet but I am assuming he is over 45 and most likely in his 50's, like Luba. Luba has made a request - In her words:

Still I wanted to ask you... If certainly it is possible. It would be desirable for me very much, that the cousin has arrived on our wedding. If it is possible, as we can invite him? He can pay for road and to live in hotel. He lives in Czechia, but very much often here (her home city). He can be the translator because he knows English language well.

I have to ask her if she wants him here for our wedding or just wedding celebration. But, that is only a small matter. I already responded he would stay with us and I would help with travel costs.

I would like to respond to her after I have received some input here. At the moment I will point him to the website page at the USEM for non-immigrant visa's and let him work his way forward from there. Each page can be show in Russian, which makes it very convenient for a Russian.

Edited by bobb

Timeline:

17 Nov 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

03 Apr 2009 - NOA2 approval (email)

09 Apr 2009 - NVC received

13 Apr 2009 - Sent to Embassy

23 Jun 2009 - Interview date USEM - Posted USEM website 30 Apr 2009

1. Now. His visa will be good for up to one year.

2. You should fill out the DS-156 for him and list yourself as the "person filling out form." Relation - future cousin. (His reason for visiting the U.S. somewhere above on the form should say "to attend cousin XXXXXX's wedding to USC XXXXXYOUXXXXX. Send it to him and have him sign it then he'll file it when he applies for visa.) Basically, that serves as your "invitation" since there really is no such thing as an invitation. With you filling out this form for him, you're saying, "I'm a USC and I filled this form out so my future cousin could come attend our wedding."

3. Maybe two or three weeks from the time he drops it in the Pony Express until his interview and then a few days til he gets his passport back with visa inside.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks Slim!

As always very good advice.

Timeline:

17 Nov 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

03 Apr 2009 - NOA2 approval (email)

09 Apr 2009 - NVC received

13 Apr 2009 - Sent to Embassy

23 Jun 2009 - Interview date USEM - Posted USEM website 30 Apr 2009

You're welcome. (And donations are always accepted via PayPal.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Yeah, PiePal is actually preferred.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.