pothergavel

Thanks for the messages all

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Cheers for answering my questions pothergavel! I must have had a long day too though as my first one was meant to mean did you see any places that did US-size photos by the doctors in Knightsbridge? Just because I am going up for my medical in a couple weeks and thought I might as well get my photos done while in London, as there's nowhere local to me. But don't worry, I will ask in the medical thread too.

I have also been to the US for business trips (some 'long' but still less than 90days) so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get asked about that too. Well I have a letter from my company that I took the first time to explain so I'm hoping that's ok. Also the long trips weren't all business they were some vacation time too, so I hope that's ok. We'll see....!! :)

Nay bother. Ah, gotcha. I didn't see that, but you can use a normal UK size passport photo for your medical. You only need 2 US size ones for the interview.....

Having said that it's only really a ten minute walk from the Bentnick Mansions to the embassy, so you could always talk a walk to Gould's Pharmacy and get 4 done there if you liked. There was another post in one of the threads about somewhere you could get them done online which might help too, if you prefer.

It was a really simple question, just why do you go so much. My answer about work, holidays and the missus was more than good enough and we had moved onwards soon after that :D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's these guys: http://www.passportphoto.co.uk/ They're about a 5-10 minute walk from the doctor, at 449 Oxford Street. I used them once when I had to renew my US passport while in the UK. Mind the stairs up though -- a bit rickety I recall.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
There's these guys: http://www.passportphoto.co.uk/ They're about a 5-10 minute walk from the doctor, at 449 Oxford Street. I used them once when I had to renew my US passport while in the UK. Mind the stairs up though -- a bit rickety I recall.

Those people are literally one minute from Goulds Pharmacy and the embassy is one minute past that.

Timeline

Congratulations mate! Sounds like we had very similar experiences except I panicked a bit and fudged some years and when asked for dates I had a habit of neglecting to mention the month >.< But besides that I was all approved pending the medical, same as you!

Hopefully we will both get our visas soon!

Timeline
Congratulations mate! Sounds like we had very similar experiences except I panicked a bit and fudged some years and when asked for dates I had a habit of neglecting to mention the month >.< But besides that I was all approved pending the medical, same as you!

Hopefully we will both get our visas soon!

Awesome! Have you had the medical? Was there anything else you needed to do? I got my jabs done the next day at my local doctor and faxed the letter back to them the next morning, so hopefully it will still be within the 2 week time frame they mentioned!!

Fingers crossed for us both, and for everyone else to come!

Timeline
Awesome! Have you had the medical? Was there anything else you needed to do? I got my jabs done the next day at my local doctor and faxed the letter back to them the next morning, so hopefully it will still be within the 2 week time frame they mentioned!!

Well in the end because of money and work I had to move my medical again to the previous friday but it still meant that I have to wait for the results. I wasn't given any time frames though, just told I need to sort out my MMR jab before I apply for AOS so I will try to get that done over the next few weeks while I start getting everything ready.

FYI another relative who recently emigrated to Canada suggested that if you have a lot of stuff to carry, Argos sell pretty good holdalls on wheels that carry more than a case. that way your only limit is the weight allowance... all that remains now is to work out how I can ship out about 200 philosophy books >.<

Best of luck with your application, keep us posted on how it proceeds.

Timeline

Well in the end because of money and work I had to move my medical again to the previous friday but it still meant that I have to wait for the results. I wasn't given any time frames though, just told I need to sort out my MMR jab before I apply for AOS so I will try to get that done over the next few weeks while I start getting everything ready.

FYI another relative who recently emigrated to Canada suggested that if you have a lot of stuff to carry, Argos sell pretty good holdalls on wheels that carry more than a case. that way your only limit is the weight allowance... all that remains now is to work out how I can ship out about 200 philosophy books >.<

Best of luck with your application, keep us posted on how it proceeds.

Did the medical people not give you a letter than you need to get stamped and signed when you get the MMR done? That's what I had to do anyway - for MMR and the tetanus, diptheria and polio. I then had to fax the letter back before they could process the medical and in turn the visa?

Sounds good re: argos. I'm actually hoping to use air miles to fly first class, and basically whatever I can take, then i'm taking it. Everything else can stay, get sold, or donated.

I have a load of books for my PhD, but I am either going to do without and hope ebay or amazon bookstores are my friend out there, or scan in the chapters I need from all the books and take them electronically. I just bought a 1TB external hard drive and I plan on backing all the work and papers up on to that before I go and call it good. Ish.

Timeline
Did the medical people not give you a letter than you need to get stamped and signed when you get the MMR done? That's what I had to do anyway - for MMR and the tetanus, diptheria and polio. I then had to fax the letter back before they could process the medical and in turn the visa?

I had already had my TDP shot 2 days before the medical so the only one I needed was the MMR but I wasn't entirely sure (and still aren't) whether I can have it so I think the nurse signed me off as a K1 applicant which supposedly means that I pass but I have to make sure I get the jabs before im married and apply for adjustment of status... I think! I will double check though so im better safe than sorry.

Did the embassy give you any idea how long it will take to process your visa after they receive the medical reports?

Timeline

I had already had my TDP shot 2 days before the medical so the only one I needed was the MMR but I wasn't entirely sure (and still aren't) whether I can have it so I think the nurse signed me off as a K1 applicant which supposedly means that I pass but I have to make sure I get the jabs before im married and apply for adjustment of status... I think! I will double check though so im better safe than sorry.

Did the embassy give you any idea how long it will take to process your visa after they receive the medical reports?

The guy at the embassy said that if all was good with the medical that I should get my passport and stuff back in 2 weeks.

At the medical, the Dr said it takes them 5 days to process and then it has to get to the embassy, so if I got my jabs done and the letter faxed back within that 5 days it wouldn't delay them. I took 2, so hopefully sometime the week after next i'll get the text from the courier with the heads up!

The guy at the embassy said that if all was good with the medical that I should get my passport and stuff back in 2 weeks.

At the medical, the Dr said it takes them 5 days to process and then it has to get to the embassy, so if I got my jabs done and the letter faxed back within that 5 days it wouldn't delay them. I took 2, so hopefully sometime the week after next i'll get the text from the courier with the heads up!

Thats great mine took a week to arrive, dont forget to check your passport number hahahahahha

I have to go back on Monday to get mine sorted, at least this time I go to the Embassy I wont be all stressed out like last time

They said they will fix the error while I wait so it is a shame that you cant do that on interview day, it would be nice to get approved and leave with the visa

Timeline

Thats great mine took a week to arrive, dont forget to check your passport number hahahahahha

I have to go back on Monday to get mine sorted, at least this time I go to the Embassy I wont be all stressed out like last time

They said they will fix the error while I wait so it is a shame that you cant do that on interview day, it would be nice to get approved and leave with the visa

Yeah, definitely. The fingers are appropriately crossed!

Good luck tomorrow getting everything sorted, I hope it all goes well (and quickly!)

Thanks a lot, I dont plan to leave the embassy until they fix it, will be nice sitting there this time watching everyone else full of nervous anticipaiton it will be a nice change

Timeline
Thanks a lot, I dont plan to leave the embassy until they fix it, will be nice sitting there this time watching everyone else full of nervous anticipaiton it will be a nice change

Well?!?!

All sorted?!?!

:D

Well?!?!

All sorted?!?!

:D

yeah all sorted, they did it in under half an hour cancelled the old one and put the new one in my passport, it is such a shame that they dont let you wait on the day that you are approved to get your visa coz now I know it can be done.

Thanks for the concern, it is appreciated

Thanks for the concern, it is appreciated

OF COURSE there is/was concern! it's a shame that this little mishap happened to you, but im glad its (almost) sorted.

im curious to know... what did they do to remedy the error in your visa in the your passport? did they void the first erroneous one, or did they physically remove it? what does it look like? ( i think ive seen scans, and honestly, they were boring. <sigh> where is the drama?) when i went to france for a year on a student visa, i got a beautiful holographic sticker/page sort of thing inserted into my passport.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.