Ken & Marife

Previous Marriage

14 posts in this topic

A young lady in the Philippines was married to a filipino man that verbally and physically tortured her. During the time of their wedding, she used her childhood given name for the marriage certificate. Through rumors, she heard that her name was incorrect. Upon requesting and receiving her Birth Certificate 2 years ago, she discovered that her real name is in fact different than listed on her marriage certificate. Are there legal grounds to assume that her marriage is considered null and void due to this technicality, or should I say this huge error?

I know she needs a lawyer, just wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation and has knowledge of possible outcomes or of the current law in such situations.

She now lives far from him, her main question is if she needs to apply for annulment to pursue possible Fiance Visa or can she proceed with the name on her Birth Certificate?

Also note, according to her cenomar, she is single, but that is according to the name on her Birth Certificate.

12/30/2005 Visited Philippines for a Friends wedding and met Marife

06/04/2006 Made another trip to see my beautiful Marife!

01/27/2007 Visited Marife.....Proposed and she said YES!!

04/28/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC.....and the VJ begins

05/08/2007 Received NOA1 From CSC

09/10/2007 K1 Petition Approved!!!!

09/11/2007 (NOA2) K1 Petition Approval Received via email!!!

09/14/2007 (NOA2) K1 Petition Approval Received via postal mail!!!

10/24/2007 NVC Received Petition!!

10/26/2007 NVC Sent Petition to USE in Manila

11/07/2007 Medical Exam and Interview Date listed at Embassy Website

11/28/2007 St Lukes Medical Exam

12/05/2007 Interview with Consolate Officer at USE in Manila(Approved!!!)

12/26/2007 Visa Delivered by Delbros

02/04/2008 Arrived in U.S.

02/14/2008 Married on Valentines Day!!

02/25/2009 Mailed AOS Application

03/04/2009 Case Transfered to CSC

03/27/2009 Biometrics

05/01/2009 Received Approval/Welcome letter

05/02/2009 RECEIVED GREEN CARD!!!! by mail.

This is something that will need to be decided in Filipino law. You might have this person seek out a Filipino attorney for solution.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Based on the info given she is still married if she participated in the ceremony with witnesses.

When the US immigration ask the question was she previously married and if she says no and they find out otherwise, or someone from her husbands side finds out she remarried, and files a complaint down the road it could come back to haunt her even if she is already established here in the US.

If she is caught in a lie during the immigration process she could be permanantly banned from ever coming to the US.

My advise is to deal with the situation of getting the annulment now it is simply the right thing to do.

A young lady in the Philippines was married to a filipino man that verbally and physically tortured her. During the time of their wedding, she used her childhood given name for the marriage certificate. Through rumors, she heard that her name was incorrect. Upon requesting and receiving her Birth Certificate 2 years ago, she discovered that her real name is in fact different than listed on her marriage certificate. Are there legal grounds to assume that her marriage is considered null and void due to this technicality, or should I say this huge error?

I know she needs a lawyer, just wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation and has knowledge of possible outcomes or of the current law in such situations.

She now lives far from him, her main question is if she needs to apply for annulment to pursue possible Fiance Visa or can she proceed with the name on her Birth Certificate?

Also note, according to her cenomar, she is single, but that is according to the name on her Birth Certificate.

Better be honest when dealing with the US immigration they do background check in Philippines I heard to any potential immigrant esp fiance's and if you get caught lying then you will face the consequences.

Better be honest when dealing with the US immigration they do background check in Philippines I heard to any potential immigrant esp fiance's and if you get caught lying then you will face the consequences.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can't imagine any court or judge who would dismiss a marriage because the name on the license is not correct. The marriage became legal by ceremony - not be legal documentation.

Yes, she is still married although is not her name, but it's same person. She needs lawyer to fix this erroneous or consult with the lawyer. With Philippines Laws I'm not confident to say she can run away since there are witnesses involved, and of course her birth date, parents names, and signatures would match everything unless if she falsify other documents then big TROUBLE.

Edited by VJ's Opportunist

Filed: Timeline

I will let the wife look at this one when she comes home. Stay tuned. This one might interest her.

I will let the wife look at this one when she comes home. Stay tuned. This one might interest her.

I hope you don't mind, but I am curious when you said "childhood name". Did you mean nick name or pet name? Can you be specific about this? Thanks.

Rocky, the wife

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

I hope you don't mind, but I am curious when you said "childhood name". Did you mean nick name or pet name? Can you be specific about this? Thanks.

Rocky, the wife

Thanks for all the replies, I did a little research of my own since posting this and according to Philippine law, Article 35, sentence 5. there is possible grounds for "Null and Void from the beginning" due to identity issues. However, it is for the courts to decide. As far as I know, she used her nick name, which at the time she thought to be her real name.

Ken & Marife

12/30/2005 Visited Philippines for a Friends wedding and met Marife

06/04/2006 Made another trip to see my beautiful Marife!

01/27/2007 Visited Marife.....Proposed and she said YES!!

04/28/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC.....and the VJ begins

05/08/2007 Received NOA1 From CSC

09/10/2007 K1 Petition Approved!!!!

09/11/2007 (NOA2) K1 Petition Approval Received via email!!!

09/14/2007 (NOA2) K1 Petition Approval Received via postal mail!!!

10/24/2007 NVC Received Petition!!

10/26/2007 NVC Sent Petition to USE in Manila

11/07/2007 Medical Exam and Interview Date listed at Embassy Website

11/28/2007 St Lukes Medical Exam

12/05/2007 Interview with Consolate Officer at USE in Manila(Approved!!!)

12/26/2007 Visa Delivered by Delbros

02/04/2008 Arrived in U.S.

02/14/2008 Married on Valentines Day!!

02/25/2009 Mailed AOS Application

03/04/2009 Case Transfered to CSC

03/27/2009 Biometrics

05/01/2009 Received Approval/Welcome letter

05/02/2009 RECEIVED GREEN CARD!!!! by mail.

There are several entries both in the marriage certificate and birth certificate that would "prove" identity like date of birth and name of parents. The lady did use her nickname in marriage certificate but what about her surname, the date of birth and parents' names which can also be found in both documents. If they are the same, then one can only assume that both are one and the same person.

As what the others correctly adviced, better tell the truth. The US embassy may or may not found out, especially that she was able to obtain a CENOMAR, but if she lied about it and if they will find out , she will be banned forever.

With regards to the identity issue stated in the Family Code, this article pertains to IDENTITY and not a different name. The identity issue here would mean "marrying someone you did not intend to marry" which would be a ground for anullment , its like marrying Ana Lopez from Manila instead of Maria Santos from Cebu, this is a clear mistaken identity. As to the couple in this issue they both have the intent to marry each other, right persons per se, only she used her nickname.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Rocky, the wife

Thanks for all the replies, I did a little research of my own since posting this and according to Philippine law, Article 35, sentence 5. there is possible grounds for "Null and Void from the beginning" due to identity issues. However, it is for the courts to decide. As far as I know, she used her nick name, which at the time she thought to be her real name.

Ken & Marife

It applies only to a person marrying another through a mistake in identity (marrying the wrong person). it does not apply to her. The mistake results from her giving the incorrect first name when applying for marriage license. This does not render the marriage null and void since she was also known by that name.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: Timeline

Rocky, the wife

Ken & Marife

It applies only to a person marrying another through a mistake in identity (marrying the wrong person). it does not apply to her. The mistake results from her giving the incorrect first name when applying for marriage license. This does not render the marriage null and void since she was also known by that name.

I agree with you...because once she get the CENOMAR at NSO, record would show that her nick name in her previous marriage and her real name that she is using at present is in the same person.

Your question was asked in forum.gov.ph (the official website of the republic of the philippines):

http://forum.gov.ph/thread.asp?rootID=207992&catID=23

Below is the question and answer portion:

Quote: jhaine_21 posted on 7/11/2008 | 13:45

“I got married year 2002, but FORTUNATELY it didn't last. Only last week, I found out that the name I am using Is not my real name registered at the NSO. Is there a chance that my marriage was null and void from the very beginning?

Thanx.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope.It's not a ground to declare your marriage as null and void.Mere error in the names of the parties as appearing in the said marriage contract is not enough reason to invalidate the said marriage.As a matter of fact, marriage can be proven even in the absence of any recorded marriage contract at the NSO or LCR.If you really want to have your marriage annulled/declared null and void, you can use other grounds. Just consult a lawyer to best determine what grounds will be used in your petition.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.