I luv my chappara

I need help for my tax :(

27 posts in this topic

Hi does anybody have experienced like this..

I came here in USA via K1 visa, I got my EAD October 2008, I got a job also October 2008.

I just recently received my W-2, but I am confused, why is it I don't have federal tax withhold? only NC state income tax, medicare & social security.

I don't wanna end up paying my federal tax at the end because they are not withholding it from my paycheck.

I got approved on AOS Jan 23, and got my GC last Saturday.

Do you think, that's why I don't have federal tax because of my status? (not sure - needed info)

My income is biweekly and I earned more than minimum wage.

I checked married - 0 when I filled out my W-4 during my employment and I can see it in my paycheck

Pls help, I'm going crazy with this tax stuff :(

Maybe you dont fill up in the W-4 form to have federal tax withheld deduction.Bec. if you fill up w4 form withheld federal tax, it will be deducted from your paycheck. try to see your paycheck if there is a federal tax deductions.

I got my w2 form last week while im having my vacation here in Cebu until now, so i let my husband do my taxes using taxslayer online program calculated and submitted electronically. Im glad to know i have almost $ 900 for working 5 and half months only last year. I still have little amount of money to spend there when i come back. This is my consolation after working hard, overtime and sometimes weekend to finish all the works.

glitterfy-flpbk0117583890023634.gif

Hi does anybody have experienced like this..

I came here in USA via K1 visa, I got my EAD October 2008, I got a job also October 2008.

I just recently received my W-2, but I am confused, why is it I don't have federal tax withhold? only NC state income tax, medicare & social security.

I don't wanna end up paying my federal tax at the end because they are not withholding it from my paycheck.

I got approved on AOS Jan 23, and got my GC last Saturday.

Do you think, that's why I don't have federal tax because of my status? (not sure - needed info)

My income is biweekly and I earned more than minimum wage.

I checked married - 0 when I filled out my W-4 during my employment and I can see it in my paycheck

Pls help, I'm going crazy with this tax stuff :(

You did not have federal tax witheld because you did not reach the income threshold where they start witholding.

"I checked married - 0 when I filled out my W-4 during my employment and I can see it in my paycheck"

Because you checked " O " it means no deductions in federal withheld tax. but if you checked " 1 " =exemption for yourself. it means there is a federal tax deductions. you got higher amount of paycheck if you check 0.

Maybe you dont fill up in the W-4 form to have federal tax withheld deduction.Bec. if you fill up w4 form withheld federal tax, it will be deducted from your paycheck. try to see your paycheck if there is a federal tax deductions.

I got my w2 form last week while im having my vacation here in Cebu until now, so i let my husband do my taxes using taxslayer online program calculated and submitted electronically. Im glad to know i have almost $ 900 for working 5 and half months only last year. I still have little amount of money to spend there when i come back. This is my consolation after working hard, overtime and sometimes weekend to finish all the works.

I did filled out that W-4, checked married - 0

I suggest that you examine your W-4 form to make sure that it is filled out correctly. Maybe you indicated exemption from withholding because you owed no taxes last year and expected not to owe taxes for 2008.

When i filled up my w-4 before i submit back to them, I let my husband review all the answers to make it sure bec. I'm not familiar about their taxes.

You did not have federal tax witheld because you did not reach the income threshold where they start witholding.

:blink: makes me more confused :( we looked at the tax table for bi weekly pay and it is qualified for withholding.

I suggest that you examine your W-4 form to make sure that it is filled out correctly. Maybe you indicated exemption from withholding because you owed no taxes last year and expected not to owe taxes for 2008.

When i filled up my w-4 before i submit back to them, I let my husband review all the answers to make it sure bec. I'm not familiar about their taxes.

thanks for the advice and info ate :)

enjoy ur vacation . :star:

"I checked married - 0 when I filled out my W-4 during my employment and I can see it in my paycheck"

Because you checked " O " it means no deductions in federal withheld tax. but if you checked " 1 " =exemption for yourself. it means there is a federal tax deductions. you got higher amount of paycheck if you check 0.

OH my, so I owe them? wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :( worst...

maybe that's why my friend who worked in our office commented why my paycheck is higher than her's, but we both worked 40 hrs/week

:crying:

Edited by I luv my chappara

it is ok to file the federal and state tax forms even though you had no federal income tax withheld from your paycheck.

If you owe more federal or state taxes it will be indicated as the tax return forms are completed(filled up) You must complete a federal tax return before the state tax return can be completed and submitted.

If you file single you dont start paying federal tax till you make more than about $8000/year if you filed married you dont pay federal till you make more than $16000. Because you only started working in Sept 2008 you did not make enough for your employer to be required to take out Federal tax.

Dont worry you will not be required to pay tax, but as you indicaed you are going to file jointly you need to be including your husbands tax information in your calculations to know for sure whether you both will need to pay

Edited by geezer

all the deductions of my federal tax last year, it will return back to me. bec i worked only 5 and half months. I did not meet the minimum income level requirement to pay federal tax for 2008. In my case, My husband filed my taxes as "married filing separate" so that my tax refund would be separate from his tax refund. my return has been accepted by the IRS now. I should receive my refunds in about two or three weeks because my husband filed my tax returns electronically.I think you fill up Married in your status because we file EAD together with our AOS as a k1 visa holder when we entered here.

But If you file "married filing jointly" then both of your incomes will be considered for tax liability and any refunds issued will be for a combined amount. you can choose which filing status you want to have because there is no legal requirement to file a joint return if you want to keep your income and refunds separate from your spouse.

It is expected for our first time we file our taxes we can experience problems sometimes...but dont worry....

regarding w2 tax issue this is also my first time to file seperately

this is what i have with AT&T since i just started last 11/25/08 heres what i have for my w2 breakdown:

Wages, tips, other compensation:

Federal Income tax withheld

$2517.60

Social security wages $135.09

Social Security tax withheld 2517.60

and i have another employer which is also same month but i only stayed 1 month: wage $732 and fed tax $8, my husband is going to school no work and since sophia is not here i cant add her as my dependent...what do i need to do to get tax return ...which is cheaper hr block or jackson...?

do you think i will owe tax? :crying:

Generally.

Payroll will deduct all your taxes including Federal each pay period.

Then when you get your W-2, and you file your taxes you can recieve money back if you overpaid

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

all the deductions of my federal tax last year, it will return back to me. bec i worked only 5 and half months. I did not meet the minimum income level requirement to pay federal tax for 2008. In my case, My husband filed my taxes as "married filing separate" so that my tax refund would be separate from his tax refund. my return has been accepted by the IRS now. I should receive my refunds in about two or three weeks because my husband filed my tax returns electronically.I think you fill up Married in your status because we file EAD together with our AOS as a k1 visa holder when we entered here.

But If you file "married filing jointly" then both of your incomes will be considered for tax liability and any refunds issued will be for a combined amount. you can choose which filing status you want to have because there is no legal requirement to file a joint return if you want to keep your income and refunds separate from your spouse.

It is expected for our first time we file our taxes we can experience problems sometimes...but dont worry....

Great advice. I would also suggest figuring your taxes both jointly and seperatey to see which method benefits you the most.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Did you file married with a high amount of deductions or is your income very low?

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.