HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Congrats on getting the interview dates! Hopefully ours shall come soon too!

As of May 21, the IV Unit has acknowledged that they received our Packet 3 on April 17 and they have not requested any additional information.

We received the documents and will schedule your interview in order.

I am glad for Mike, but doesn't it seem like they are scheduling out of order if they received his on May 7?

Well, here's to hoping for good news soon!

I hope you get yours scheduled asap Pete ... I rather suspect you will get good news very soon.

I agree - it's INCREDIBLY frustrating to know that cases are not handled in FIFO order. The system is aggravating enough without feeling that it's also fundamentally unfair with respect to order.

Not to take anything away from those who get early approvals - I don't begrudge anyone who gets through the system more quickly. I admit to envy, but not anger.

I save my wrath for the system, not the people moving through it.

Good luck Pete, Danny and everyone still waiting for a date ----- I expect to see your 'happy' emails soon!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline
On our side, we're slowing down the processing of the visa for AAm's daughter. I've got everything ready to send to the NVC for her 'next to last step' before it goes to the BKK embassy for her interview. However, because AAm's daughter is ony 14, her and AAm have decided that they want to 'time' her visa in order that May (AAm's daughter) can finish school, and then come on over. So, it looks like we won't be pressing the issue too much until she's ready to come over around the end of the year. That works for AAm and I also. As you guys know, we just moved to the DC area, and that will give us some time to buy a house/move before she gets here. We're actively searching now...need to get the ObamaCredit of $8000 like USCandual! :yes:

Glad to hear all is going well brother Mark. Good luck with the house hunting!

Mortgage rates have edged up in recent weeks, back up to around 5.5%. Given bond market trends I'd expect them to go higher from here not lower. So I'd look to lock in a loan as soon as you've found a place. The $8K credit is definitely sweet - don't miss out on that!!

Timeline

Congratulations everyone! Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Since the divorce decree was not submitted I'm pretty sure our "missing documents" are real and will have to be mailed in before we get a date. We shall see...

OK now we can talk about proof of relationship and interview items. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I hope you get yours scheduled asap Pete ... I rather suspect you will get good news very soon.

I agree - it's INCREDIBLY frustrating to know that cases are not handled in FIFO order. The system is aggravating enough without feeling that it's also fundamentally unfair with respect to order.

Not to take anything away from those who get early approvals - I don't begrudge anyone who gets through the system more quickly. I admit to envy, but not anger.

Good luck Pete, Danny and everyone still waiting for a date ----- I expect to see your 'happy' emails soon!

I am not even frustrated by the system. I've learned that acceptance is such an incredibly strong energy field, that by aligning with it, all of life's challenges become a breeze, and it also results in a healthier happier experience. I am just making note of it in order that others may better understand the process and its hiccups.

Timeline
On our side, we're slowing down the processing of the visa for AAm's daughter. I've got everything ready to send to the NVC for her 'next to last step' before it goes to the BKK embassy for her interview. However, because AAm's daughter is ony 14, her and AAm have decided that they want to 'time' her visa in order that May (AAm's daughter) can finish school, and then come on over. So, it looks like we won't be pressing the issue too much until she's ready to come over around the end of the year. That works for AAm and I also. As you guys know, we just moved to the DC area, and that will give us some time to buy a house/move before she gets here. We're actively searching now...need to get the ObamaCredit of $8000 like USCandual! :yes:

Mark - Yeah, Rin and I went through the same thoughts on bringing her children to the USA. Rin came in April 2007 and our initial plan was to have her children finish the school year. But I had to go to Thailand in September, so we decided that missing a few months of school in Thailand in exchange for starting earlier in the USA was a reasonable trade-off. We are glad we did it as it added 3 to 4 months to the learning curve for english. After almost two years in school, the children's english (at least the reading, writing, and grammar) is probably better than their mother's.

On a side note, do you claim Aam's daughter on your taxes as a dependent?

John

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Mark - Yeah, Rin and I went through the same thoughts on bringing her children to the USA. Rin came in April 2007 and our initial plan was to have her children finish the school year. But I had to go to Thailand in September, so we decided that missing a few months of school in Thailand in exchange for starting earlier in the USA was a reasonable trade-off. We are glad we did it as it added 3 to 4 months to the learning curve for english. After almost two years in school, the children's english (at least the reading, writing, and grammar) is probably better than their mother's.

On a side note, do you claim Aam's daughter on your taxes as a dependent?

John

Hey Brother John,

Good to hear from you! Actually, once I read your prior post about amending your past year's returns to claim Rin's kids in Thailand, even though they were still in school in Thailand, I 'mentally' went out and bought my own bottle of Camus! :thumbs: I made another mental note to get back to you about this topic...but thought I would research it first a bit...

AAm actually has 2 kids, both in school. However, her son is now 20 and like all kids, too deeply involved with college and friends/girls to want to want to move to the USA now. :lol: So...I wonder if I could claim both of them, since they were 19 & 13 at the time of last year's filing...and both in school in Thailand?

Like all Thai kids, May has been studying grammar since she started school, but for the past 2 years that AAm has been here in the USA, May has also been taking a LOT of extra 'spoken English' classes every day after school. That has really helped her, and I am also very glad to hear that Rin's kids have done so well with their English (and overall...just adapting to everything!) since they've come to the USA. I figgered it would be that way...but it is good to hear you confirm it from your own personal experience.

I, personally, agree with your position that we should bring May over as soon as she gets the visa. Firstly, it will save me a flight ($) to Thailand, because we can do the interview and return as a family in one shot. If we wait, we'll probably have to make two trips: 1 for the interview and another one a couple months later to bring May back to the USA. However, 2 trips to Thailand, though possibly expensive, does sound fantastic <HAHA> In the end though, I'm going to let AAm and her sister (who happens to be a 'higher-up' teacher at the school May attends) decide what is best, and though I offer my opinions, I want to let them decide what is best (I get tired of making most of the decisions around here! <HAHA>).

Peace to you both!

MK+JC+AK

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

I am not even frustrated by the system. I've learned that acceptance is such an incredibly strong energy field, that by aligning with it, all of life's challenges become a breeze, and it also results in a healthier happier experience. I am just making note of it in order that others may better understand the process and its hiccups.

Hey BrotherThaitoUSA,

Yes, I agree with you 100% on your above statement, surely such truth is the key to peace. Any bible of any world religion clearly teaches on this point, and innately men know this is true as well. I'm just curious though, sometime I'd like to hear your philosophical/theological/metaphysical elaboration on what you think generates/creates...or is principal of, this 'energy field' to which we align.

Peace to you brother!

MK+JC+AK

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Timeline
Hey Brother John,

Good to hear from you! Actually, once I read your prior post about amending your past year's returns to claim Rin's kids in Thailand, even though they were still in school in Thailand, I 'mentally' went out and bought my own bottle of Camus! :thumbs: I made another mental note to get back to you about this topic...but thought I would research it first a bit...

AAm actually has 2 kids, both in school. However, her son is now 20 and like all kids, too deeply involved with college and friends/girls to want to want to move to the USA now. :lol: So...I wonder if I could claim both of them, since they were 19 & 13 at the time of last year's filing...and both in school in Thailand?

Mark - I would think the older child would be allowed as long as they are a full-time student. The potential issue will be the SSN. I filed my amended return for 2006 after Rin's children had their GCs and SSNs. You'd have to file with ITINs. Not sure if that would be an issue or not. The IRS help line was not helpful as they said "try it and see if they allow it". The IRS won't be punitive if you can explain your reasoning based on their instructions, so why not try (a "no" only costs you time and a postage stamp)?

Best of luck,

John

K-3

AOS

Citizenship

Hey Brother John,

Mark - I would think the older child would be allowed as long as they are a full-time student. The potential issue will be the SSN. I filed my amended return for 2006 after Rin's children had their GCs and SSNs. You'd have to file with ITINs. Not sure if that would be an issue or not. The IRS help line was not helpful as they said "try it and see if they allow it". The IRS won't be punitive if you can explain your reasoning based on their instructions, so why not try (a "no" only costs you time and a postage stamp)?

Best of luck,

John

Brother John,

Ahhh - I get it. I had overlooked the part in your prior post where you mentioned that your kiddos were already in the USA with GC & SS, before you filed the amended return. That does makes much more sense, now that I think about it a bit more. Following that thought process, it sounds like a slam dunk for May at least...! Still....that is good new$!

You can PM me and let me know your commission fees :lol:

Seriously though, I am going to do this. Thanks a LOT for the tip, I would have NEVER thought that would be possible by US Tax law.

Peace,

MK+JC+AK

49893.gif

Timeline

As of May 21, the IV Unit has acknowledged that they received our Packet 3 on April 17 and they have not requested any additional information.

I am glad for Mike, but doesn't it seem like they are scheduling out of order if they received his on May 7?

:huh::DI have been thinking about this a lot, FIFO. Through out this process I have made it through rather quickly, except for a 39 days stop at the NVC for a little AP love. Only 40 days at CSC and really no RFE's, and pretty clear waters, I don't know why I have had a smooth ride and others seems to have problems or get held up. I fill out the same forms as others and submit the same evidence. I follow the same instrustions you do on the check list, but I do read here at Vj and do make note of the problems others have and make corrections to my packet. Maybe this helps, when I look at other timelines, I am shocked and really feel bad for those who still wait or have spent 250 days in this process. I know what you are going through because I can feel the same stress. I think the fact that we go through this process makes us better husbands and wives because we appreciate those we love a little more and can really never forget the pain and suffering that we went through to get them here. So chin up, hang in there and your time will come. Has anybody tried putting a 1000 baht note into the Packet 3 paperwork.... (That was a joke) :innocent::star:

K-1 Visa

San Jose California

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-30

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-10

NVC Received : 2009-03-13

NVC Left : 2009-04-20

Consulate Received : 2009-04-20

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-05-07

Packet 4 Received : 2009-05-28

Interview Date : 2009-06-30

Visa Received : 2009-07-02

US Entry : 2009-07-04

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : touched 3/9/2009

Administrative Review at NVC

AP@NVC

Free at last left NVC

Embassy says they recieved it on same day it left NVC

Finally Got an Appointment Date Thank God

VISA ISSUED WHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 70 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 182 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review

Event Date

Port of Entry : San Francisco

POE Date : 2009-07-04

Got EAD Stamp : No

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

Comments : Very fast and very easy... The officer was very friendly and quick, he reminded us to make sure we marrry within the 90 days. total time maybe 10 minutes at most...

Finally got my baby!!! Thank you BKK; POE SFO was great

:huh::D Has anybody tried putting a 1000 baht note into the Packet 3 paperwork.... (That was a joke) :innocent::star:

Ha! That 1000 baht note made me laugh out loud :thumbs: I'll take an educated guess and say that would work! :yes:

One thing about FIFO. I bet that the USCIS does utilize FIFO, but the facts of the matter are that each case is different. So, while they may start the process utilizing FIFO, that doesn't mean that some cases won't be approved quicker/slower based on their complexity. But...that is just my two cents...who knows what is really happening...

...as you can tell by my number of posts today...I'm not working too hard... :lol:

Peace!

MK+JC+AK

49893.gif

Timeline
Hey Brother John,

Best of luck,

John

FYI - We were denied an ITIN and had to wait until my step-daughter had her ss#. Once she had it, we ammended the previous year's return (the year her mom and I married) and claimed her on it (even though, she was never in the USA that year).

DVD

Timeline
Hey Brother John,

Best of luck,

John

FYI - We were denied an ITIN and had to wait until my step-daughter had her ss#. Once she had it, we ammended the previous year's return (the year her mom and I married) and claimed her on it (even though, she was never in the USA that year).

DVD

DVD - What was the reason given for denying the ITIN application?

K-3

AOS

Citizenship

Timeline
Question????? Is there a place among the many VJ threads that deals with BKK interview questions and different Stategies used by the sucessful K1 applicants. I have read through the embassy reviews but really have not found to much else.

K-1 Visa

San Jose California

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-30

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-10

NVC Received : 2009-03-13

NVC Left : 2009-04-20

Consulate Received : 2009-04-20

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-05-07

Packet 4 Received : 2009-05-28

Interview Date : 2009-06-30

Visa Received : 2009-07-02

US Entry : 2009-07-04

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : touched 3/9/2009

Administrative Review at NVC

AP@NVC

Free at last left NVC

Embassy says they recieved it on same day it left NVC

Finally Got an Appointment Date Thank God

VISA ISSUED WHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 70 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 182 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review

Event Date

Port of Entry : San Francisco

POE Date : 2009-07-04

Got EAD Stamp : No

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

Comments : Very fast and very easy... The officer was very friendly and quick, he reminded us to make sure we marrry within the 90 days. total time maybe 10 minutes at most...

Finally got my baby!!! Thank you BKK; POE SFO was great

Timeline
I think the fact that we go through this process makes us better husbands and wives because we appreciate those we love a little more and can really never forget the pain and suffering that we went through to get them here. So chin up, hang in there and your time will come.

I entirely agree with this. Our relationship began nearly five years ago, while I was living in Bangkok and has continued for the last three years that I've been back in USA, and all of it has brought us closer and instilled a profound gratitude for what we have created. So many folks around us on both sides say "I can't believe you're still together." "I could never do that." etc. We take this is a positive sign that we have a very healthy relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.