Gigli2008

Embassy now asking for Paternity/DNA testing

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yea,....and that's what they said after T.I.P.'s and child smugglers had brought children over here to be adopted by families...illegally.

There is no such thing as privacy when it comes to immigrating to the U.S. and coming through the borders. We are in the War Against Terrorism and we cannot afford to be "private" on any alien matters. People got to understand that.

Hi VJers

A friend petitioned for his wife and kids (kids are his) and when the petition reached the Embassy, they were told that NOW DNA testing is required for proof that kids belong to either parent. Apparently there are cases out there of children being smuggled to the US especially from Africa and some Asian countries.

I think at the very least the Consulates/USCIS/NVC/Department of State should notify prior to interview (make it part of the checklist) or just make it known period in their websites or rules and regulations that this may be required so that parents don't show up at the final interview thinking this is it only to be told that the process is extended for another six weeks (to whenever).

Anyone seen this happening from their region?

Personally this is something that I would refuse. The INA does not require DNA testing and until it was the law I would not participate. My reason is privacy concerns. It is an invasion of my privacy, my wifes privacy and our child(s) privacy to participate.

I'm one of those folks that dosen't trust the governmant and I would not allow them access to my families DNA.

The government treats those marrying and married to aliens as de facto second class citizens but this would be one indignity I simply would not subject myself or family to. I realize that on a practical matter many will be intimidated into submitting rather than spending years on AP but I am not one of those folks.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
Hi VJers

A friend petitioned for his wife and kids (kids are his) and when the petition reached the Embassy, they were told that NOW DNA testing is required for proof that kids belong to either parent. Apparently there are cases out there of children being smuggled to the US especially from Africa and some Asian countries.

I think at the very least the Consulates/USCIS/NVC/Department of State should notify prior to interview (make it part of the checklist) or just make it known period in their websites or rules and regulations that this may be required so that parents don't show up at the final interview thinking this is it only to be told that the process is extended for another six weeks (to whenever).

DNA testing is being requested with MANY countries. You are right that it is prevalent in Africa(Ghana, Guinea, Nigeria) and Asia(China, Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam). It also occurs in Latin America (Dominican Republic, Colombia, Ecuador) and many other countries.

It's not that children are being smuggled, but that the concept of "family" is different in African countries. Families adopt children and raise them as their own.

The cases when DNA testing is requested the most is when:

1. Fathers names are added to the birth certificates late.

2. Birth certificates and other documentation is not available.

Your friend is not alone. :)

There is no such thing as privacy when it comes to immigrating to the U.S. and coming through the borders. We are in the War Against Terrorism and we cannot afford to be "private" on any alien matters. People got to understand that.

That my friend is Bulllsheet.

We are a nation of laws. If the Congress decided to amend the INA after public debate to require DNA testing then you could be right but as of now no such amendment has been enacted. The consulates and CO's are acting on their own based on the fact that they know most peeople are so desperate they won't protest much less protect their rights.

Most people really dont understand what DNA resting really is and how dangerous it is for ANY individuals DNA info to become part of the public domain or a government data base.

Unless individual rights are are jealously and vigilantly protected they will be lost. The Government IS NOT your friend as anyone going through this process soon finds out.

As I have stated, immigrants and their petitioners are treated as second class citizens throughout this process but for me I would simply refuse and fight. I realize this is not an option for many and I'm speaking only as to what I would do and I'm not giving advice.

I'm saying this as someone who has served in the military for this country to secure the rights that so many so lightly give away.

Hi VJers

Yup that is mostly the cases in the Philippines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.