NYN

Calling to Schedule Appointment

1 post in this topic

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hello to all,

I am the USC and we finally got tired of waiting for packet 4 and called in. Was reluctant to call since you call using a card that is 15 dollars and only lasts 8 min. (Oh and they will waste a good amount of your time reading all the info they have on you and repeating themselves over and over)

Anyway so I called and am glad I did because somehow they thought i lived with my cosponsor and sent the info there. Anyway got the letter from my cosponsor and sched the doctor's appointment which was all we were missing.

When you call to make the appointment and they say to have the documents `on hand` they really mean with you right then and there. It`s not enough that you have them it`s like they have to test you to make sure you REALLY have them.

I advise you to call the number on the appointment letter 900 6011 and NOT to buy the card. Eight minutes is not enough, the call center automated message says it takes five minutes approximately, but in my case it took almost 20. And if there was some discrepancy or error on their end, forget it, five minutes will be spent just on that. It's 2.10 dollars the minute but it will be worth it because I bought three cards and each was wasted and it drove me nuts. If you do not have an answer to one of their questions you will have to call back and go through the WHOLE thing with somebody else again.

Before anything was done the lady asked if I had all the docs and gave me a rehearsed speech. I suggest you let them say it even you already know this, because if you interrupt they will start all over again. Then they must check your immigrant is on list to be able to make appointment.

THIS IS WHAT THEY ASKED FOR ME BEFORE THEY MADE THE APPOINTMENT: (I suggest you write all of this out instead of leafing through the paperwork since it is nerve wrecking at least if you buy the card and are running against the clock.)

Name of the doctor I went to see for the medical exams and the date of the visit. (Month, Day, Year)

Date birth certificate was issued for my husband. (Since it has to be recent, I believe three months)

When his photos where taken. (Within last six months)

Passport number and date his passport expires. Day, month and year. (I only say it because his passport day was not clear to me, the english translation was confusing)

They will ask if DS230 I and II is in our possession filled out and UNSIGNED. Said yes, though confused by DS230 part 1 being unsigned since I believe it had to be signed to be sent in to the embassy and we sent it signed... to get packet 4 sent back.

Day the I-864 was signed by myself, and my cosponsor. Also the number of immigrants to be sponsored as written in the each form.

(Make sure you mention the co-sponsor if you have one because these people are not well trained and might be confused by the fact you did not make enough money, the person who answered my call actually asked me if I was a citizen or just a resident!)

Proof of citizenship (I was a bit thrown off since she wanted my naturalization cert number, which I did not have and panicked until I remembered I could give her my passport. Again she suggest the passport, she just sat in silence. I think they are so used to doing things one way they don't know what to do if you give an alternate answer)

For my co sponsors I had their Alien registration numbers since they are just legal residents.

Taxes, yearfor last taxes filed, amount filed, and year for W-2s.

For self wrote letter explaining why I did not pay taxes last year since I did not earn enough.

(I advise you do the math yourself about the minimum requirements of the 125 percent above poverty line before you call, because the lady I spoke to told me my co-sponsor did not make enough. I had to ask her to do her calculations again because I know they did. She recalculated and agreed that yes, they made enough! Can you imagine my panic attack!)

Solvencia de Policia Date it was issued.

Marriage certificate. Date it was issued. (Has to be recent, I think last three months)

After I provided all this I was given two dates.

First Appt to turn in all documentation.

Second Appt for interview.

I was told to bring all money to first interview.

$13 for the courieer to mail visa if sent.

$131 for ¨consular right¨ whatever that means. I was told this was to be paid at Banco Cuscatlan which surprise surprise no longer exists!

Bring all docs to first interview. In the order they appear on the packet four list.

Told to arrive at least 30 minutes early, and time spent would be approx 5 hours.

Also given regular warning of no electronics, cellphones, memory sticks, etc. no food or drink and no guns etc.

Will keep you posted on appt odissey. It's in about a week!

Nydia Y Neftaly (NYN)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.