ms_jinga_lala

Complicated

1 post in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Okay, I seperated from my US husband in July 2006. He wouldn't give me a divorce then and it took a while, he had to find a new girlfriend first. So my divorce was just finalized October 24. I live in a state that requires a one year separation period first, so that's another thing that made it take so long. Because we were still married we filed tax returns together, I just got tired of arguing with him about why we didn't have to. It's too long of a story for these boards. He had it written into our agreement that we have to file our 2008 taxes together too and this will be the last year. I know he's just using me to get the extra tax break, I'm one more dependent. But I had to allow some compromise to get him to give me the divorce. So my question is this, is having to file with him for this tax year going to be a problem when I try to bring my fiance over here next summer?

Also, I've been reading and I've noticed that you have to show proof of steady income and most of the proof comes from tax returns. I was sick from May of 2007 until March of 2008 so I did not have income and I have no idea how the child support and alimony I received during that time will factor into all of this. I know I can't prove steady income based on tax returns. Should I go ahead and get a co-sponsor so this whole thing isn't a big headache or is there another way I can show steady income. And since I have a limited time frame to work with, how long do they expect that income to have been steady for? I'm working now and when I finish my degree in February I will have an even better job making more money so I know I can surpass the 125%. I just don't know if it will be good enough because I won't have been in the job that long. (And I will have the job, I already have it actually I just can't work till I have my name on a diploma.)

And my final question is how do they view self-employment. I work a regular job and I supplement my income (to save up for all these overseas trips ;) via self-employment. I have invoices and I contract through reputable, well established companies but to make things more complicated some of them are based internationally also. Lol...I think I'm the poster child for complications in the K-1 department tonight.

Last question. My fiance was already actively pursuing jobs in the US before we both realized we were in love with each other. He is still pursuing them as his dreams still matter and I'm not asking him to give those up. How much is it going to complicate things if he gets a job here after we apply (the job fair for his field is in April 09 and I plan to apply in Feb 09)? He is actively applying for jobs now even before the job fair.

Thank you in advance.

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.