5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello.. just starting out here. I love this community and all the useful information it is providing fellow applicants.. I'm starting a thread to begin our application process:

Background:

She: Indian, here on H-1B visa, visa is currently expired though she has an accepted "petition" extending her specialty employee status here in the US and I-94 is good through 2009.

He: American - US Born Citizen

Married: 05/01/2006

Filing: Petition for Alien Relative (I-130), Adjustment of Status (I-485), Affidavit of Support (I-864 under 213A), Biographic Information (G-325A) His and Hers, Application for EAD (I-765), Application for Travel Document (I-131)..... whew!

Questions:

1. Hopefully an easy one - we can't find an A######## or A######### (8 or 9 digit number starting with A) anywhere on her passport, I-94 paperwork, etc.. we did find an "eucok########" in pencil on the back of her I-94 card... should we put this number as the Alien registration number, or can we just leave it blank??

2. Regarding concurrent filing - I-131 form instructions indicate that "a copy of the USCIS or former INS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application" must be included... do we have to wait for the ROA for the I-485 and I-130 package before we can submit the I-131? Does the same hold true for the I-765??

3. Regarding the Advance Parole - she will likely be continuing with her company on the same H-1B visa which would make the advance parole a moot point, however, while she has been in the US, her original Visa has expired. We have heard both ways.. 1. that she needs to go to a US Consulate in another country to get a new, unexpired visa or updated stamp on the old visa by the power of her new H-1B accepted petition, or 2. That since she has the petition, no update is needed - the old visa is automatically extended and she will be allowed back into the US and I-94 will say the same as her petition (2009)?? Any thoughts? We are looking to travel in November back to India for personal reasons.

4. Regarding the I-765 form: since her company has applied for specialty worker status before, must we check the "YES" box on question 11: "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCUS"? and then obtain some paperwork from her company?

5. Regarding the G-325A form for me: I have had more addresses than I have room for on the page in the past 5 years. Do I simply attach a second page?

6. Regarding my employment: I am about to switch jobs in about a month. Since I have all the paperwork currently set up for my current job, I would like to file all paperwork with current employment. Will I run into any problems somewhere down the line when I am at a new job than indicated on my forms?

7. Regarding change of address. I see that change of address notification is clearly discussed in I-864 form (affidavit of support) and what to do.. what about the other forms? We plan to move to a bigger place mid-process.

8. When we were married on May 1st, we received a "Certificate of Marriage Registration". It is our understanding that we still need to wait for the official marriage liscense.. is this correct?

9. We seem to be under the filing criteria for the "Chicago Lockbox" - Since we are to file the I-485 here, are we to submit all the forms as a full package to this lockbox, regardless of the individual instructions on each form?

10. As we are filing at the "lockbox" - we do not seem to fit the criteria for pre-submittal of a medical examination. We were told to wait to hear from USCIS to schedule this... is this correct for our situation? Can we pre-file some I-693A vaccination form I have heard about?

11. I understand that copies of all official documents are acceptable with the new criteria (birth certificates, passports, etc.) I have also heard that sometimes they request the originals with an RFE? Is this true? I don't like the language that states something about how you may not receive your originals back? Am I worrying too much here?

Thank you in advance for help... we would really appreciate it.. we've learned so much already, and feel like we just need a few more pieces of information to try to get a perfect submittal!!! Thank you!

Matt

damn brother too many questions... :lol:

1.- N/A

2.- I Don't know (didn't file it with my pack)

3.- I Don't know (didn't file it with my pack)

4.- Yes

5.- I don't think that really matters.

6.- Get an extra white sheed.

7.- Send the address change the next 14 days after u moved.

8.- Yes

9.- All together.

10.- u have to file the i-693 with the pack.

11.- I sent copies with their respectives translation to english.

c u later

Filed: Timeline

1. She does not have an A number yet. She will receive it once you file.

2. Yes, All forms go together to the same address (Chicago Lockbox). Make sure to check for the correct fees for all the forms.

3. Even though H1 is a dual intent visa, she should travel on her Advance Parole document rather than go to get a new visa. Just to be on the save side I would take the original Approval Notice(s) for her H1 along with the I-131.

4. No, she has not applied for employment authorization herself.

5. Yes, please write the additional information on a separate (white) sheet of paper. Make sure that the header of that paper includes your name as a petitioner and your wifes as w beneficiary, along with the reason (bases on which) you are filing.

6. Put your current job. When the time comes (interview) you will need to file new I-864 and bring proof of new employment (letter + paystubs)

7. Put your current address. Make sure you save the mail you receive at that address (especially the one in both names). Once you move file the change of address form.

8. You need the Certificate of Marriage showing that your marriage has been registered with the state (this is different from the paper you signed on the day you got married). You will need to request a copy from the County Clerk's Office.

9. Everything goes together (neatly organized and labeled of course)

10. The I-693 needs to be submitted along with the vaccination supplement (these documents should be submitted in a sealed envelope obtained from the CS)

11. Send copies of everything. No originals because they would keep them. They will ask to verify the originals at the interview.

Good luck !!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thank you very much for your replies. I have a few questions about the replies and also want to bump this topic in case anyone has any additional information or advice.

Thank you! Please see further questions below.

-Matt

1. She does not have an A number yet. She will receive it once you file.

Ok - thank you both for answers... all clear here.

2. Yes, All forms go together to the same address (Chicago Lockbox). Make sure to check for the correct fees for all the forms.

Ok - I think this is clear.. what about the note from the I-131 form? "I-131 form instructions indicate that "a copy of the USCIS or former INS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application" must be included... do we have to wait for the ROA for the I-485 and I-130 package before we can submit the I-131? "

3. Even though H1 is a dual intent visa, she should travel on her Advance Parole document rather than go to get a new visa. Just to be on the save side I would take the original Approval Notice(s) for her H1 along with the I-131.

Ok - we will submit the Advance Parole docs now... if for soem reason the processing is slow, is there some expedited process that we can do in a day??

4. No, she has not applied for employment authorization herself.

Ok - great.

5. Yes, please write the additional information on a separate (white) sheet of paper. Make sure that the header of that paper includes your name as a petitioner and your wifes as w beneficiary, along with the reason (bases on which) you are filing.

Ok - I think this is clear - just wondering why I need to be including the "reasons why we are applying"?

6. Put your current job. When the time comes (interview) you will need to file new I-864 and bring proof of new employment (letter + paystubs)

Ok.. so in the meantime, I do not need to contact them besides the change of address? I will just bring a new form to the interview?

7. Put your current address. Make sure you save the mail you receive at that address (especially the one in both names). Once you move file the change of address form.

Ok.. thanks!

8. You need the Certificate of Marriage showing that your marriage has been registered with the state (this is different from the paper you signed on the day you got married). You will need to request a copy from the County Clerk's Office.

Ok, thank you.

9. Everything goes together (neatly organized and labeled of course)

Ok.. great!

10. The I-693 needs to be submitted along with the vaccination supplement (these documents should be submitted in a sealed envelope obtained from the CS)

We do not have any contacts for a CS... are these available? I have heard that we should wait to hear from USCIS to go to the medical exam (like the biometrics) is this true, or can we find Civil Surgeons listing in our area?

11. Send copies of everything. No originals because they would keep them. They will ask to verify the originals at the interview.

Ok.. thank you!!

Good luck !!!

Filed: Timeline

Ok - I think this is clear.. what about the note from the I-131 form? "I-131 form instructions indicate that "a copy of the USCIS or former INS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application" must be included... do we have to wait for the ROA for the I-485 and I-130 package before we can submit the I-131? "

Since you're sending everything together you may want to simply write "see attached I-130 and I-485 applications"

Ok - we will submit the Advance Parole docs now... if for some reason the processing is slow, is there some expedited process that we can do in a day??

Emergency AP can be done through an infopass appointment, but you will need to supply documentation in regards to the emergency. The AP takes (on an average) 2-3 months (in some cases much faster).

Ok - I think this is clear - just wondering why I need to be including the "reasons why we are applying"?

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. The heading should read something along these lines:

Petitioner: Mr. X

Beneficiary: Mrs. X

RE: Form G325-A Additional Address for Petitioner

Accompanying Application I-130/I-485 (based on marriage)

You really do not have to include the heading, but it helps them keep the things together when they start your folder or just in case the paper gets separated from the rest of the file.

Ok.. so in the meantime, I do not need to contact them besides the change of address? I will just bring a new form to the interview?

You only need to contact them in regards to the change of address. The new financial documents are presented at the interview.

We do not have any contacts for a CS... are these available? I have heard that we should wait to hear from USCIS to go to the medical exam (like the biometrics) is this true, or can we find Civil Surgeons listing in our area?

Since she is adjusting from H1 you need to complete the medical prior sending the packet (otherwise you are taking a chance of receiving an RFE). If you are in Chicago area you need to do some shopping around since price vary (and some CS are very expensive). She will also need to prove that she has received the main vaccinations, otherwise she will have to retake them. To find a CS go to the following link Civil Surgeon

If she does not have evidence of vaccination she may want to request one from her home country.

Biometrics appointments are given by USCIS and they pretty much include fingerprinting, picture taking and signature.

Hope this helps....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.