jennmd

SSN on Process

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
i have a very simple question here.... il be arriving in cali on sept and my wedding is on november. as i thought that wud make things simpler, can i just apply for that SSN after i get married so im already carrying my married name then?

in this case what would happen if someone applies for the SSN after the 76th day?

Everything will be given back, you will be issued an SSA-L676 notice and shown the door.

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

D. PROCEDURE - SSN CARD REQUEST BY ALIEN NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK

1. Alien Wants SSN Card to Work

Give the alien the appropriate notice (Form SSA-L670) indicating that the applicant did not provide evidence of work authorization. If the applicant refuses to take back the application and insists SSA process it, explain that SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card. Provide written notice using Form SSA-L676 to explain that an SSN cannot be assigned or a card issued because he/she did not present appropriate authorization permitting him/her to work in the U.S.

btw..HOW CAN AN ALIEN BE "UNAUTHORIZED" TO WORK" anyway? how can u say that this alien is NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK..

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

i really cant get it....ok let say il apply for an SSN ONCE I GET THERE... DO I NEED TO WORK IMMEDIATELY? does a person holding an SSN mandated to work??

im really confused.... how can i work if i need to prepare for my wedding? il apply for the AOS EAD after we get married and that is on november..and if i cant work without an EAD even if i have an SSN...then that means, applying for an SSN once i get there is useless....

i hope u guys are getting me?

i hope so.. :huh:

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Feb 4 - check cleared

Timeline

Nice move te, i was doing the same so i only have to briong my passport, visa, I-194 and the marriage certificate..

yoiu think i need a birthcertificate too?

BC is not required since you have your passport Mrs. Artis :star:

Oh I thought BC is required too. I would just bring my BC just in case ;)

yes riz just bring your bc...coz when i got to ssa local office here lastweek they ask if i have my bc...yesterday my ssn card arrived by mail....it took 1week only...im goin back there after i got my marriage certi ..for name change

hi ann! are u required to work immediately once u hold the ssn? cus im planning to apply for it once i get there but maybe i wont work yet for a couple of months.. im planning to focus on applying for a job only when the AOS and EAD is on its process or better when its already done! u think my idea would be ok? :unsure:

may nurse ba ditong kukuha ng license sa cali? ssn is required to get the hard copy license, so how can i get one if i wont have the SSN :unsure:

------------------------

K-1

Jan - sent application

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Feb 4 - check cleared

Filed: Timeline
what if i applied after the 76th day? WHAT WIL HAPPEN? i dont think that means i wont get an ssn FOR LIFE????? :unsure:

I was assuming you were asking about applying as a K-1. After the 76th day you will need an EAD card or I-551 stamp or card to be assigned an SSN.

Quit' btw..HOW CAN AN ALIEN BE "UNAUTHORIZED" TO WORK" anyway? how can u say that this alien is NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK..

For SSN purposes SSA considers a K-1 work authorized and accepts the I-94 as proof. If you cannot provide prrof that SSA accpts as work authorization, they consider you not authorized to work.

i really cant get it....ok let say il apply for an SSN ONCE I GET THERE... DO I NEED TO WORK IMMEDIATELY? does a person holding an SSN mandated to work??

im really confused.... how can i work if i need to prepare for my wedding? il apply for the AOS EAD after we get married and that is on november..and if i cant work without an EAD even if i have an SSN...then that means, applying for an SSN once i get there is useless....

A restricted Social Security number and/or card does not authorize you to work and that is what you will get if you apply as a K-1.

Well it going to be hard to find someone that will hire you without an SSN, since it's needed for tax reasons, so if you wait until you have an EAD card before applying for the SSN, you could be waiting a couple weeks or months to be assigned the SSN.

Plus an SSN is useful for other things, some banks require one to open a bank account.

hi ann! are u required to work immediately once u hold the ssn? cus im planning to apply for it once i get there but maybe i wont work yet for a couple of months.. im planning to focus on applying for a job only when the AOS and EAD is on its process or better when its already done! u think my idea would be ok? :unsure:

You don't ever have to work if you are assigned an SSN. Applying for or having an SSN isn't tied to having a job.

Timeline
what if i applied after the 76th day? WHAT WIL HAPPEN? i dont think that means i wont get an ssn FOR LIFE????? :unsure:

I was assuming you were asking about applying as a K-1. After the 76th day you will need an EAD card or I-551 stamp or card to be assigned an SSN.

thanks ..thanks for "nOt quitting" in helping us answers our questions :) yes im under K1.

ok so i can see 2 point of views in applying before OR after the 76th day, correct me if im wrong on this...

1. APPLYING FOR SSN 2 WEEKS AFTER I ARRIVE IN THE U.S. - they will issue me an SSN even without EAD YET.

2. APPLYING FOR SSN AFTER THE 76TH DAY - they will NOT issue me an SSN WITHOUT EAD

..let say il be doing number 2, may i ask how long does it take to get an EAD?

also, im required to give my ssn to be able to receive my nurse license, will they follow the name written on the SSN or whats on the passport? (cus im thinking, my license has to be my married name since il be using that for life)

thanks u in advance for the clarification :thumbs:

Edited by shes

------------------------

K-1

Jan - sent application

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Feb 4 - check cleared

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello po. I would suggest too that once you applied for ssn make sure you make a follow up call or go in person asking the status of your application. When I applied for ssn before it took me almost 2 months before I got my card because I found out that social security personnel forgot to mail my request. What happened was I applied for my ssn then the lady told me it should take atleast 2-3 weeks for me to receive my card but then 1 month had passed I still didn't get my card . So we drove to the ssn office and asked the lady she then told us that she already submitted the papers to INS. We then drove all the way to Hardford and found out that they never received any request from ssn office in my area under my name. So we drove back to the ssn office and the lady checked her drawer and found out that my request for ssn was still there.

Thanks very much for the advice for now i am waiting for my ssn the lady said that i will follow up when i dont get it in two months. i hope it wont take that long. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Ryan and I decided not to apply for my SSN today but instead do the process after we're married so that we no longer have to go back twice to the SSA local office to change my personal infos with my married name. A Pinay friend of mine who is here in AZ also suggested beforehand to get it after we're married. Any opinion is very much appreciated :D

________________________________________________________________________________

you can get it before or after marriage if you want it to be under your I-94 which has 90 days expiration. but make sure that 76 days is not over yet. you can use your married name if you get after your marriage. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.