16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
thanks everyone, and NickD, for me right now i feel done, i'll allow myself that...and i know we got lucky in how fast we got my card....so congrats will be just fine thanks :thumbs:

LOL, while you worked your can off to get that initial green card with a Welcome to the United States, told since you weren't married quite two years yet, your card is conditional. You better mark your calendar and send in your I-751 90 days before the expiration of that two year card or you can't work, travel, and face possible deportation. That wasn't a welcome to the USA, it was a threat that similar to paying your income and property taxes, you better do it or face deep trouble.

In all due respect, we should have all received our ten year cards within that 90 day time frame, but instead get a one year extension that no employer, the DMV understands, then with even extra unqualified delays have to make an infopass appointment to your local field office, for us a 430 mile drive to get your current valid foreign passport stamped for perhaps another 30 day extension then show that to your employer expecting to see a valid current green card. DMV will with a lot of convincing extent your driving privileges for another 30 days. And it's not like that the USCIS is there to help you, it's up to you to fight to your last breathe to get that new card talking to some of the snottiest uncaring people in the world. And heaven help you if they screw up on their processing dates.

If congratulations are in order, congratulations for complying with the law, because if you didn't, you would be in deep trouble. You are fortunate the USCIS didn't lose your application and that you didn't have to make long trips to get your passport stamped so you would be here legally. And only had to stay here hardly over a month with an expired green card. That stack of evidence we sent was essentially the same old stuff we sent before with a tax return or two additional. Then the same thing we sent again for citizenship, wife saw her file, almost 4" thick, but was asked even for more evidence, it's crazy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.