babybunny

CALLING ALL GOING THOUGH ISLAMABAD PAKISTAN- OFF TOPIC

1,982 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Sadia.. I double dog dare you to sacrifice a goat. and give the meat to the neighbours. they would FREAK out. why? because, its not customary here.

Shon, let's not always make fun of the religion that you believe in if you don't understand it instead of asking or searching for best answer. You don't bring goat in your house here and slaughter in your bedroom. NO. Millions of Muslim live here and they don't bring goat home to slaughter.

Both methods that laney and Omid mentioned are reasonable and acceptable.

no one is making fun of religion if you go waking up to your neighbours with a dead goat they will call the police on you. get real!

celebrate tradtions but, dont invoke panic or hysteria.

Sadia.. I double dog dare you to sacrifice a goat. and give the meat to the neighbours. they would FREAK out. why? because, its not customary here.

Shon, let's not always make fun of the religion that you believe in if you don't understand it instead of asking or searching for best answer. You don't bring goat in your house here and slaughter in your bedroom. NO. Millions of Muslim live here and they don't bring goat home to slaughter.

Both methods that laney and Omid mentioned are reasonable and acceptable.

no one is making fun of religion if you go waking up to your neighbours with a dead goat they will call the police on you. get real!

celebrate tradtions but, dont invoke panic or hysteria.

and tell me this. have you dont that ? what was your neighbours reaction?????

I live in an apartment in city limits- those kinds of things are not acceptable!

shon.gif

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Shon, from what i know you don't take the dead goat with body intact to the neigbors house...it's cut up and ready like any other meat you would bring home. And this is something done among Muslims...but I am sure if you explain it to other they would understand.

I have been thought that you shave the babys head because a new head of hair should be grown that is different from that which it had in the womb...I never ventured into it any further. I know some people who do it when the baby isn't growing any significant amount of hair, they think that it will speed up the process somehow. I know I will do it. I think that tradition requires respect and if you don't believe in it then don't make it seem like something ridiculous because it makes people who do follow it seem stupid.

Timeline

You don't kill the gpat in yoru backyard, you go to a place that specializes in the whole slaughtering process and get it done there. It is the same as bringing home meat from your local meat store. Hubby explains it as asking permission from Allah to kill the meat in order to eat it. Be prepared for hubby to want to do this on EId.

Timeline

Everyone has their culture and traditions and we should respect them...that's all I am saying...

... if you don't believe in it then don't make it seem like something ridiculous because it makes people who do follow it seem stupid.

Do people have a right to not be told they're stupid?

Everyone has their culture and traditions and we should respect them...that's all I am saying...

... if you don't believe in it then don't make it seem like something ridiculous because it makes people who do follow it seem stupid.

If by 'respect', you mean allow people to do what they choose and not get in their way, of course.

If by 'respect', you mean we must cease our own sense of judgement and believe whatever nonsense others put forward in the name of culture, I respectfully disagree.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Look she stated her opeinions and I stated mine. So I should sit back and let something that I engage in be ridiculed? That is sooo not me. I have seen my fair share of traditions being carried out but I have the sense to first ask questions instead of laugh. There are some traditions in my culture that I totally make fun of but it goes into the whole, I can laugh but when someone else does it's like woah that isn't cool. By respect I mean to recognize that some traditions are holy and just because you don't follow it doesn't make it stupid. Go ahead and judge everything but I am not about to sit back and not throw in my thought and feelings.

If by 'respect', you mean allow people to do what they choose and not get in their way, of course.

If by 'respect', you mean we must cease our own sense of judgement and believe whatever nonsense others put forward in the name of culture, I respectfully disagree.

I guess if you live in the country. I suppose taking a dead goat to the neighbours is acceptable. but, not in dallas city limits. you cant even have livestock. but, I wont venture into this practice in my home thank you very much

Again, no one is asking you to go out, bring a goat home and slaughter in your apartment. If you read my previous message completely, I said instead you can do what laney & Omid suggested which was to go out to a local butcher and bring meat home or send money to a poor country.

I guess if you live in the country. I suppose taking a dead goat to the neighbours is acceptable. but, not in dallas city limits. you cant even have livestock. but, I wont venture into this practice in my home thank you very much

Again, no one is asking you to go out, bring a goat home and slaughter in your apartment. If you read my previous message completely, I said instead you can do what laney & Omid suggested which was to go out to a local butcher and bring meat home or send money to a poor country.

Pakistani friends of mine actually donate money to Muslim charities for this purpose instead of eating the goat themselves. They say it's coz goat is red meat and unhealthy.

By respect I mean to recognize that some traditions are holy and just because you don't follow it doesn't make it stupid. Go ahead and judge everything but I am not about to sit back and not throw in my thought and feelings.

Then we define 'respect' differently. That's ok too.

Look she stated her opeinions and I stated mine. So I should sit back and let something that I engage in be ridiculed? That is sooo not me. I have seen my fair share of traditions being carried out but I have the sense to first ask questions instead of laugh. There are some traditions in my culture that I totally make fun of but it goes into the whole, I can laugh but when someone else does it's like woah that isn't cool. By respect I mean to recognize that some traditions are holy and just because you don't follow it doesn't make it stupid. Go ahead and judge everything but I am not about to sit back and not throw in my thought and feelings.

no one is rediculing you about killing goats. thats what you wanna do, do that. however, there are more ways of giving and sharing through tithing. this is what I do. if javed feel the need to kill a goat he can send money to his family they can do it for him. I married internationally because, I do except those from other cultures than of my own. Javed also married an american woman. just becase, we are married dont mean i have to practice things that will cause problems in the community.

shon.gif

just becase, we are married dont mean i have to practice things that will cause problems in the community.

shonjaved,

Do you remember reading those news stories some time ago of Mexican families that were slaughtering goats in their backyard? I think it was in Oklahoma or Texas or something. The community went crazy over it!