RichelRichel

TO WORK OR NOT TO WORK

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd say I'll work with the consent of my husband (my fiance` now)... It is very true that it should be discussed accordingly and I don't think there will be a conflict in that matter... The reason why I want to work is to help in MY OWN SIMPLE WAY... To ease the homesickness during the time my husband has to leave the house for work... and to buy gifts for my husband using my hard-earned money :lol: haha... I have simple reasons why I want to work and not to degrade the status of my husband. And my husband find these reasons amazing haha... BTW I told to him I will only get a job the same as his work schedule so we'll have so much time for each other after our work hours... I don't mind not working hahaha (wowwww I like hahaha) but of course I know I have to make a life aside from having a married life with my husband and yes help in any way I could (but my husband will always be on top of all my priorities of course). I am blessed I have a very good and loving husband (just like everyone else here) who's been very supportive and understanding.

Bottom line is, whatever it looks like, still you and your husband knows what it is you are doing. Your intentions are good, you should not worry too much :) Discuss it to your hubby, that's the best thing to do first...

This opinion is about me and my husband (fiance` now), I agree with dbears:

What may work for Juan and Juana may not be feasible for Pedro and Petra coz we all have different financial situation and also different priorities/goals in life. So this is an issue that should be best discussed and agreed upon prior to staying I DOs.
:thumbs:

For we walk by faith, not by sight.

II Corinthians 5:7

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Which do you prefer? to work or not to work?

If you're going to work does it mean that you're just using the other person?

If you're working does it mean that you will have no time for your partner?

If my wife didn't work as well, we wouldn't be able to afford the mortgage on the house we bought together. Consequently, our son has to go to day care while we're at work. If one income were enough, I would want my wife to stay at home...

Not a lot of people here nowadays have the option to not work...

You do whatever is necessary to make your "team" stronger. May be support at home or working!

Not easy to get ahead these days and if done proberly your "team" will come out ahead.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will definitely work so I can help in paying the bills, send money to my family in PI and have my own money to buy what I want. It's not just about the money actually but I want to have an accomplishment as well. I have been working since I passed the board exam and I have been helping my family since then. This was never an issue between me and my fiance because before we got into a relationship I made it clear to him that if ever I will marry him one day I will still work and I will help my family and he understood it. I think it would be better if you work so you will have fall back if ever something goes wrong. This is a very important lesson that I learned from my parents. My mom never worked so when my dad passed away we were left with nothing. Good thing I finished college that time but then the burden was passed on me. This would have been different if only my mom was working also but oh well......in conclusion it would be really better to work but be sure that you guys talk about it so it won't be a cause of any conflict.

"We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28

[/url]

This is something that the two persons involved needs to talk about prior to getting married. When I met my husband, he made it clear that he's looking for a wife, a companion... It wasn't a problem since I wanted to be a homemaker than a career-oriented person. I have been here for more than a year now and the thought of working never crossed my mind. My husband said, if ever I will need something to do just to be out of the house every once in a while, I can go to school instead of working. Sounds good to me! :thumbs:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

THats depends for both of you, if you're husband can provide for you.

Personally even if my future husband can provide for me I still like to work,its still nice to have your own income and share for the expenses at home,knowing that you are not fully dependent to your husband.

Its easier to save money if you're both working right?

WORK.. I don't think it means you are stepping a man's ego if a woman would have her own career. As other people said, marriage is a partnership. Considering the high cost of living nowadays, I want to work so that I could help my husband pay all our bills. You could just discuss the working issue with your partner, explain your sides (if you want to work) and DO NOT assume (that he doesn't want you to work) without even asking him.

I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how -- completely and forever......

I don't see the rationale behind 'working equates using the other person' :unsure:

What may work for Juan and Juana may not be feasible for Pedro and Petra coz we all have different financial situation and also different priorities/goals in life. So this is an issue that should be best discussed and agreed upon prior to staying I DOs.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I strongly agree with dbears!

01/22/08 hired an immigration lawyer

02/28/08 I 129F sent it to the lawyer

03/03/08 I-129F Received at CSC

03/04/08 NOA1

03/05/08 Touched

07/14/08 NOA2

07/24/08 Called NVC and got our MNL case number

07/25/08 NOA2 Hard copy received

07/29/08 USEM Rcvd hard file

07/30/08 Paid document verification

08/01/08 Called USEM for interview appointment! (Thank you lord)

08/19/08 Medical Examination

08/20/08 Medical Examination (PASSED)

08/26/08 Interview (PINK Slip only)

10/08/08 Visa Printing! Yehheeyy! (after 48years of waiting)

10/09/08 Visa Printing Done and is ready for release

10/10/08 Visa delivered yippeee!

10/31/08 FLY DAY!!!! POE LAS, NV[/color] PLS BLESS OUR TRIP OH LORD!

11/03/08 Got married in Las Vegas

11/15/08 filed SSN

11/29/08 SSN Card Rcvd

AOS JOURNEY

12/10/08 send AOS & EAD Packet to Chicago Lockbox

12/18/08 Cashed check

12/26/08 Rcvd NOA

01/07/09 Biometrics Appointment/Done

01/12/09 Rcvd mail TRANSFER NOTICE TO CSC (AOS)

03/10/2009 Rcvd EAD

04/20/2009 GREEN CARD RCVD!!! No interview at all!

04/21/2009 Got Driver Learners Permit

The Will of God never takes you to

where the Grace of God will not protect you.

v1g6b64wviy.png

Filed: Timeline

It's clear that you guys are not ready to tie the knot yet. Per your PMs and replies here, he is looking for a submissive wife. He likes to have a total control on you. You are not even married yet, and he already asked you to resign. IMHO, I think he is too controlling and thats a red flag right there. Have a heart and heart talk to him and DO NOT be afraid to tell him what you exactly feel. If he doesn't respect your opinion or how you feel/ don't want to listen to your reasoning, you are in deep trouble.

I speak my mind, so please don't take it personally.

I'm here at VJ to help 'Reshape the Filipina Image Online.' <- click

at first we talked about me not working and just tend w/ our future family lol... but things change (economy and all, and boredom to death while he's away working)... so i find job to help just a bit (my car payment lol) but my paycheck is not enough to pay all the bills. though i can buy stuff for my own "wants" and if ever i send some to my mom, its coming from my paycheck... but to be honest my husband and i still wish for that someday that when im done my studies (goin back to school again to learn computer design/software) that i can be able to work at home and tend my family while earning some extra living...

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i'll work. and it's perfectly fine with my fiance. i even asked him how he would feel if my salary is higher than his... he said that's ok, actually he'd be soooooooh happy hehehe. :yes:

first, you have to know what YOU want...then discuss this with your fiance/husband.

It's clear that you guys are not ready to tie the knot yet. Per your PMs and replies here, he is looking for a submissive wife. He likes to have a total control on you. You are not even married yet, and he already asked you to resign. IMHO, I think he is too controlling and thats a red flag right there. Have a heart and heart talk to him and DO NOT be afraid to tell him what you exactly feel. If he doesn't respect your opinion or how you feel/ don't want to listen to your reasoning, you are in deep trouble.

My husband clearly stated that during the course of our courtship. He's retired... he needs someone whom he can be with him day in, day out. I didn't have any problems with it, as a matter of fact, I can say that our marriage is working harmoniously. We work (around the house, yard, garden, etc) together and we travel quite often visiting families and relatives. But like I said, we also have an understanding that if I would need some other things to be done just to be away from the routine, he'd rather make me go to school than working. It's not that money is not a problem in our relationship --- who doesn't worry about money? But his income is enough to pay all our bills and have food on the table and that's all that matters to us.

As long as the husband and the wife talked about stuff before they got married, to work or not to work is not really an issue. Just my 2 cents for what its worth. :thumbs:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

Filed: Timeline
My husband clearly stated that during the course of our courtship. He's retired... he needs someone whom he can be with him day in, day out. I didn't have any problems with it, as a matter of fact, I can say that our marriage is working harmoniously. We work (around the house, yard, garden, etc) together and we travel quite often visiting families and relatives. But like I said, we also have an understanding that if I would need some other things to be done just to be away from the routine, he'd rather make me go to school than working. It's not that money is not a problem in our relationship --- who doesn't worry about money? But his income is enough to pay all our bills and have food on the table and that's all that matters to us.

As long as the husband and the wife talked about stuff before they got married, to work or not to work is not really an issue. Just my 2 cents for what its worth. :thumbs:

My reply that you quoted was directed to the TS/OP. Your situation is different than the TS/OP. You and your husband are on the same page (good for you), but it's obvious that TS/OP is not really sure if she wants to be a house wife for the rest of her life. She also PMed with some of her concerns which makes me believe that something else is going on.

I am SAHM/wife, since I was 5 months pregnant. Our son is already 15 months. I'm planning to go back to work when he starts school. My husband and I are young, so I'll be long time before we retire. I don't want to stay at home wasting my education waiting for my husband to come home from work and my son to come home from school. I'll probably just going to work part time when my son is in school, so I can drive/attend his after school activities (sports or whatever).

Edited by speedo

I speak my mind, so please don't take it personally.

I'm here at VJ to help 'Reshape the Filipina Image Online.' <- click

My reply that you quoted was directed to the TS/OP. Your situation is different than the TS/OP. You and your husband are on the same page (good for you), but it's obvious that TS/OP is not really sure if she wants to be a house wife for the rest of her life. She also PMed with some of her concerns which makes me believe that something else is going on.

I am SAHM/wife, since I was 5 months pregnant. Our son is already 15 months. I'm planning to go back to work when he starts school. My husband and I are young, so I'll be long time before we retire. I don't want to stay at home wasting my education waiting for my husband to come home from work and my son to come home from school. I'll probably just going to work part time when my son is in school, so I can drive/attend his after school activities (sports or whatever).

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Couples really must talk about everything (above and beyond) before they commit themselves to one another.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

Definitely, to work!

Of course, not! What's the point of struggling to finish school if you can not put it into use. Just my opinion.

Time management is the answer. Also, having a career gives me self-fulfillment.

NATURALIZATION

01-11-2014 N-400 Packet Sent

01-17-2014 Check cleared

01-24-2014 Received NOA dated 01/14 in the mail

02-20-2014 1st Service Request created for delayed biometric appointment letter

03-01-2014 Received 'yellow' letter in the mail

03-28-2014 2nd Service Request created since the 1st request had no response from the assigned Service Center

04-07-2014 Received biometric appointment letter in the mail

04-25-2014 At last, my biometric appointment!!!!

06-09-2014 Interview - recommended for approval!

07-17-2014 Oath Ceremoney USCIS-Orlando Office! I'm A United States Citizen

AOS AND EAD
02-13-2009 AOS Packet Sent
02-15-2009 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02-23-2009 Date of NOA1 (AOS & EAD)
02-25-2009 Check Cleared
02-27-2009 Received NOA1s (AOS and EAD) and Bio Appointment Letter in the mail!!
03-18-2009 Biometric Appointment
04-17-2009 EAD card production ordered!
04-27-2009 EAD card in received in mail
06-19-2009 Received interview appointment in the mail
08-19-2009 Interview Date APPROVED!
08-28-2009 Received 10-year GC in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.