SpiritAlight

Sarcasm

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The US has...the colbert report.

Which has a lot of CDN writers writing for it :whistle:

Yep! Hence the big story line with the Oshawa Generals last year :lol: Which was great!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
still I can say that I find here people overralll having, either the talent to be very self critical or the talent to be happy, which is all like oxygen to me. Canada has not really have to battle for its independence as the US, still don't get me wrong, canadians are intelligent people and know as well the differences, with or without sarcasms..In the US, i feel this freedom wind in the texture, the bones of many...even if it's exagerated or not...either way i'm fascinated or like it....

I totally disagree and I don't think it is to do with independence.

It has to do with where you live I believe. People in New Jersey can rarely make fun of themselves. They are a very serious, agressive bunch. Therefore, that is why my husband doesn't feel many Canadian comics are funny. He doesn't understand why they make fun of themselves. There is a lack of tv shows as well in comparison to Canada when it comes to making fun of ones self. Canada has a bazillion. The US has...the colbert report.

If it's not due to independence, it's due to what? I'm still learning...being alienated I imagine by the 'battle' i was talking about in the province i won't name. The 'where you live' is a cultural thing for me, independence or not, forges the character, the personality. NJ, correct me as well if I'm wrong, is a place with many jewish people...what about then the jewish humour? which is soooo sarcastic...Philip Roth is not originally from there?...hilarious and terrible criticism...

In the US there is not only the colbert report, what about the night shows: Letterman, etc...there are not many as such in Canada...

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Timeline
If it's not due to independence, it's due to what? I'm still learning...being alienated I imagine by the 'battle' i was talking about in the province i won't name. The 'where you live' is a cultural thing for me, independence or not, forges the character, the personality. NJ, correct me as well if I'm wrong, is a place with many jewish people...what about then the jewish humour? which is soooo sarcastic...Philip Roth is not originally from there?...hilarious and terrible criticism...

In the US there is not only the colbert report, what about the night shows: Letterman, etc...there are not many as such in Canada...

NJ has some Jewish people, but they are mostly orthodox jews in my area so I wouldn't know the humour you speak of. The "jewish" people you see on television are not the kind of Jewish people I live next to.

If you are right about the battle for independence, then I would say that is what makes Americans, in my opinion, more defensive about everything. Because they had to "fight" for what they wanted, I feel they hold it much to dear. Some are unable to laugh about it, or themselves because of this mindset. Their independence however, for me, has more to do with the way Americans think (ie. generally not in favour of wide social programs) It is more cultural in my mind.

Letterman is not at all a similar program to something like The Colbert Report or This Hour Has 22 Minutes. Letterman, Leno, etc. are talk shows in which they interview celebrities and make fun of celebrities, not the ordinary human beings like you and I.

Edited by thetreble

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

well again, p. Roth is from NJ i think. Letterman etc are eating alive every night bush and al.and make fun of the ignorance of common people (remeber, from the streets) every night. As for the defensiveness, sure, which nation is not. If the US is more, maybe there is a good reason for that.... What can I say else...

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

NVC :

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

Timeline
Letterman etc are eating alive every night bush and al.and make fun of the ignorance of common people (remeber, from the streets) every night. As for the defensiveness, sure, which nation is not. If the US is more, maybe there is a good reason for that.... What can I say else...

Letterman and Leno have LATE night talk shows. They are reason they are on late and night and not on at prime time like This Hour or Air Farce. Again, you will see them labeled as late night talk shows. Yes -they every so often make a joke about president bush, but that is usually when he does something stupid and not really from a political angle. They really just joke about scandals in the media in my opinion. Canadians, to me, are much more politically aware because of all the political comedy that is produced out of Canada.

Obviously we don't see it the same way, so we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I will say though, you should consider yourself lucky that you have people by you that will joke around and such. Believe me, where I live I find the people to be very serious and not able to take a joke most of the time. They can make fun of others but don't like when it is pointed the other way around.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
Letterman etc are eating alive every night bush and al.and make fun of the ignorance of common people (remeber, from the streets) every night. As for the defensiveness, sure, which nation is not. If the US is more, maybe there is a good reason for that.... What can I say else...

Letterman and Leno have LATE night talk shows. They are reason they are on late and night and not on at prime time like This Hour or Air Farce. Again, you will see them labeled as late night talk shows. Yes -they every so often make a joke about president bush, but that is usually when he does something stupid and not really from a political angle. They really just joke about scandals in the media in my opinion. Canadians, to me, are much more politically aware because of all the political comedy that is produced out of Canada.

Obviously we don't see it the same way, so we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I will say though, you should consider yourself lucky that you have people by you that will joke around and such. Believe me, where I live I find the people to be very serious and not able to take a joke most of the time. They can make fun of others but don't like when it is pointed the other way around.

Thank you for the explanation, i understand now better what you mean. The late night shows i mentionned are more superficial in a way..I believe you talk about english canadians which makes sens. and me ignoring all those programs, as i said why. And must say for which i'm embarrassed for having missed them.

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

NVC :

In USA:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly, I really have trouble seeing how this is an "American vs Canadian" thing. It merely depends on the person. Some individuals are more likely to enjoy certain types of humor over others. That doesn't mean they're from "Group A" or "Group B."

If you've noticed most of the people around you enjoying one kind of humor over another, maybe it's not because they're Canadian or American, but because you like that type of humor, so you surround yourself with others who share a similar sense of humor. The same is generally true of interests, as well.

Human beings like being around others who are most like them. There's nothing inherently American or Canadian about that. ;)

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep! Hence the big story line with the Oshawa Generals last year :lol: Which was great!

The OHL coverage came from the Saginaw Spirit naming their Eagle mascot "Steven Cobeagle the Eagle," or something like that. I was dying every time Colbert would call Coach Mancini and act like he had any clue about hockey. One time Mancini said something about the Pyatt line, naming all three players by last name, and Colbert was like "how would you even stop that guy?", to which Mancini gently informed him that it was actually three players, not one guy with three names.

Good (and free) coverage for the OHL. But the WHL is still the best ;)

Through my travels across the US and Canada, I found that the folks from the Eastern US had a more biting type of humor that was more at the expense of others, rather then most other place's sarcastic self deprecating humor. I know when I played hockey the guys from New England were always the ones hammering on other guys in the locker room, and it wasn't in as much fun as everyone else. Especially those guys from Boston.

During my time in Canada, I've really come to enoy Corner Gas, which probably has most of you rolling your eyes. I'm a huge Daily Show and Cobert Report fan, so I've really enjoyed "This Hour has 22 Minutes" too. But is there a Canadian version of "The Onion?"

For us sarcasm fans, this month will only get better...Democratic and Republican National Conventions usually serve up tons of soundbites and bizarre stories (remember this?

)

Have a great day everyone. Seriously.

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The OHL coverage came from the Saginaw Spirit naming their Eagle mascot "Steven Cobeagle the Eagle," or something like that. I was dying every time Colbert would call Coach Mancini and act like he had any clue about hockey. One time Mancini said something about the Pyatt line, naming all three players by last name, and Colbert was like "how would you even stop that guy?", to which Mancini gently informed him that it was actually three players, not one guy with three names.

Good (and free) coverage for the OHL. But the WHL is still the best ;)

Through my travels across the US and Canada, I found that the folks from the Eastern US had a more biting type of humor that was more at the expense of others, rather then most other place's sarcastic self deprecating humor. I know when I played hockey the guys from New England were always the ones hammering on other guys in the locker room, and it wasn't in as much fun as everyone else. Especially those guys from Boston.

During my time in Canada, I've really come to enoy Corner Gas, which probably has most of you rolling your eyes. I'm a huge Daily Show and Cobert Report fan, so I've really enjoyed "This Hour has 22 Minutes" too. But is there a Canadian version of "The Onion?"

For us sarcasm fans, this month will only get better...Democratic and Republican National Conventions usually serve up tons of soundbites and bizarre stories (remember this?

)

Have a great day everyone. Seriously.

I hate to reply to my own post, but the damn edit button wouldn't work :(

Here's a link to the Colbert Report's naming of the Saginaw Spirit mascot, for anyone interested...

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.