TexPamp

Driving in the USA

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

No dates are set in stone yet but our plan is for Sweetie to fly on Hawaiian Airline from Manila to Honolulu to Las Vegas and I will drive from El Paso, Texas to Las Vegas where we wil meet up. We will marry in Vegas, spend a couple days there and then drive home.

Sweetie has a drivers license issued by the LTO. Will this be valid for Sweetie to help me drive some of the portions of the return trip to El Paso? It is a 12 hour drive and I would love to see Sweetie at the wheel. B)

Also this question is for anyone here Stateside in Arizona. Is that Highway 93 between Phoenix and I-40 still a narrow roller coaster death trap? I drove that road in 1995 and I was terrified. I am an experienced driver and Transportation was my job in the Gulf War (1991) and that road really scared me. It would be a real timesaver if they have improved that road.

Another also. Am I strange? Two things that excites me about Sweeties eventual arrival is to have her drive and to have a cell phone here. I can't wait to put her on my plan. :dance:

Thank You

TexPamp

K-1

March 17, 2008.....I-129F Packet sent to Vermont Service Center

March 20, 2008.....I-129F arrived at Vermont Service Center

March 21, 2008.....NOA 1

May 27, 2008........NOA2

June 19, 2008.......Delbros Paid

June 30, 2008.......Medical (Passed)

July 18, 2008........Interview (Passed, Pink and White slip)

Sept 17, 2008.......Recieved Visa

Sept 19, 2008.......CFO at St. Mary's

Sept 22, 2008.......Travel to USA, POE Honolulu, Late night arrival to Las Vegas

Sept 23, 2008.......MARRIED

Sept 25, 2008.......Left Las Vegas driving home

Sept 26, 2008.......Arrived in El Paso, Texas

AOS

December 8, 2008 Package sent

December 26, 2008 NOA

8114.gif

Filed: Timeline

I hope this info helps you. I think her best bet is to get a IDP so she can drive right away.

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Visitors_Driving.shtml

Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S.

Quick facts for foreign visitors about driving in the United States

1. To drive in the United States, you must obtain an international driver's permit (IDP) from your home country before coming to the U.S.. The IDP verifies that you hold a valid license in your home country. The IDP serves as a translation of your driver's license into 10 languages. It is your foreign driver's license (translated by the IDP) that allows you to drive in the United States. Contact the automobile association or driving authorities in your home country to get an international driving permit before traveling, as the United States does NOT issue international driver's permits to foreign visitors.

2. If you obtain a valid international driver's permit from your country of origin before you come to the U.S., you may rent a car and drive before you get your U.S. driver's license. Check with the rental car company regarding minimum age to rent a car.

3. If you are going to reside in the U.S., you can get a U.S. driver's license once you are in the U.S., but it may take several months to obtain a U.S. driver's license.

4. Foreign visitors who become U.S. residents can only obtain a driver's license from the state in which they reside (not from the federal government). Each state has its own driving rules and regulations. Check with your state's motor vehicles department to find out how to apply.

5. Once you receive your U.S. driver's license from a state motor vehicles department, you will be permitted to drive in all other U.S. states. The laws in each state vary from one to another. It is your responsibility to know and obey the laws of that state while driving.

6. The residency requirement for obtaining a U.S. driver's license varies with each state. Consult the motor vehicles department in your state for more information.

7. If you are a foreign student coming to the U.S. to study, contact the university or college you will attend, as most institutions provide students with additional driving information.

8. The U.S. government has issued warnings about Internet vendors of worthless international driver's licenses/permits. It is important to educate yourself about the dangers of these costly and illegal operations. See International Driver's License Warning from Federal Trade Commission. You must get an International Driver's Permit from your home country. If you are an American traveling abroad, go to the Automobile Association of America (AAA) or the National Automobile Club (NAC), the only vendors authorized by the U.S. Department of State, before you leave the U.S.

Edited by speedo

I speak my mind, so please don't take it personally.

I'm here at VJ to help 'Reshape the Filipina Image Online.' <- click

My fiance has a student permit from the LTO as well. She has never driven a car.

But I plan on letting her drive her until she receives her licenses from Texas.

I doubt you would find any problems letting her drive.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Myla never had a Philippine Driver's License when she got here and also didn't know how to drive so she had to start from obtaining certification online, a learner's permit then eventually a driver's license. I started her on our lawn mower and now she is driving on her own and in the interstate.

Let her drive Im sure she will feel good about it :)

Goodluck

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Getting a DL in the Philippines is no big deal. Just apply.... Attend a 30 min seminar and imediately after, take a written test...slip them P1500 and wala test hahahaha.... also, no behind the wheel testing :whistle:

But to answer the OP...A International DL will satisfy the license requirement.

Accually, when coming from the Phillipines or to the Philippines you dont need anything but their drivers licence. It is already in english so it doesnt need translated.

Here is a link from the State of Idaho in regards to this, I suspect many other states are the same.

http://itd.idaho.gov/DMV/driverservices/in...ionalpermit.htm

I just recently watch a program called Speeders and a guy from Germany got pulled over. He had just a standard drivers licence from his home country. There was nothing raised about a IDP from the officer. He gave him his ticket and let him go. The comment was made that his drivers licence was in German and that was it.

You guys may also want to check your state DMV and just make sure they dont have any oddball laws but even the federal law is just mearly a suggestion. You might be able to find a link to send your loved one about the drivers manual so she could study some.

Good luck.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

I drove around for about 3 months using my Phil. license before getting one from the Ohio BMV. It was in english, so the BMV people said it was fine. When I asked for how long I could drive with it, they said, generally a year! I didn't want to be driving a whole year without a US license though, so.. I got one after I got my GC.

I-129F sent .........................8/08/2006

Interview............................3/23/2007

VISA RECEIVED .......................3/29/2007

Sent AOS package to CHI..............7/12/2007

Biometrics in CLE, OH................8/14/2007

Interview in CLE, OH................10/16/2007

GREEN CARD RECEIVED.................11/15/2007

Sent ROC to CSC......................8/10/2009

NOA1.................................8/12/2009

Biometrics...........................9/18/2009

Card Production Ordered ............10/01/2009

Sent N400 to AZ lockbox ............11/08/2010

Application received................11/12/2010

Check cashed........................11/15/2010

Biometrics (CLE)....................12/03/2010

Interview (CLE).....................01/14/2010

Oath Taking (CLE)...................02/04/2010

Iya, you are correct, I forgot to add that you can drive here for 1 year on a forien licence.

04-12-08 Married

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

I hope this info helps you. I think her best bet is to get a IDP so she can drive right away.

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Visitors_Driving.shtml

Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S.

Quick facts for foreign visitors about driving in the United States

1. To drive in the United States, you must obtain an international driver's permit (IDP) from your home country before coming to the U.S.. The IDP verifies that you hold a valid license in your home country. The IDP serves as a translation of your driver's license into 10 languages. It is your foreign driver's license (translated by the IDP) that allows you to drive in the United States. Contact the automobile association or driving authorities in your home country to get an international driving permit before traveling, as the United States does NOT issue international driver's permits to foreign visitors.

2. If you obtain a valid international driver's permit from your country of origin before you come to the U.S., you may rent a car and drive before you get your U.S. driver's license. Check with the rental car company regarding minimum age to rent a car.

3. If you are going to reside in the U.S., you can get a U.S. driver's license once you are in the U.S., but it may take several months to obtain a U.S. driver's license.

4. Foreign visitors who become U.S. residents can only obtain a driver's license from the state in which they reside (not from the federal government). Each state has its own driving rules and regulations. Check with your state's motor vehicles department to find out how to apply.

5. Once you receive your U.S. driver's license from a state motor vehicles department, you will be permitted to drive in all other U.S. states. The laws in each state vary from one to another. It is your responsibility to know and obey the laws of that state while driving.

6. The residency requirement for obtaining a U.S. driver's license varies with each state. Consult the motor vehicles department in your state for more information.

7. If you are a foreign student coming to the U.S. to study, contact the university or college you will attend, as most institutions provide students with additional driving information.

8. The U.S. government has issued warnings about Internet vendors of worthless international driver's licenses/permits. It is important to educate yourself about the dangers of these costly and illegal operations. See International Driver's License Warning from Federal Trade Commission. You must get an International Driver's Permit from your home country. If you are an American traveling abroad, go to the Automobile Association of America (AAA) or the National Automobile Club (NAC), the only vendors authorized by the U.S. Department of State, before you leave the U.S.

Thanks for the info. I better get an International License from LTO. One year period of driving on a foreign license sounds fun! :thumbs:

I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how -- completely and forever......

Candid witch, save your money you dont need one, all it is, is a translation....what are they going to translate...english to english :wow::rolleyes: There is only a few things you need to remember when driving here...pedestrians are not speed bumps, watch out for old people driving and dont drive with a beer....you sure dont want to spill it! :rofl:

04-12-08 Married

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Candid witch, save your money you dont need one, all it is, is a translation....what are they going to translate...english to english :wow::rolleyes: There is only a few things you need to remember when driving here...pedestrians are not speed bumps, watch out for old people driving and dont drive with a beer....you sure dont want to spill it! :rofl:

Hmmm. I just have a Philippine license, you are saying it is ok? :unsure: Oh man! Driving here in the Phils is surely chaotic (people running around as if there is no car, a lot of vehicles without signal, drivers who don't know traffic rules). :wacko:

I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how -- completely and forever......

Hmmm. I just have a Philippine license, you are saying it is ok? :unsure: Oh man! Driving here in the Phils is surely chaotic (people running around as if there is no car, a lot of vehicles without signal, drivers who don't know traffic rules). :wacko:

Yes it is ok, a IDP is just a translation, nothing more. Being all official docs in the PI are in english there is nothing to translate. You can drive for 1 year with your PI licence but I would suggest you get one for your state as soon as possible. I know how it is to drive in the philippines....I accually like it :devil: I can drive as aggressivly as I want....the birdie finger can wave greetings and I dont have to worry about somone pulling a gun and shooting me! LOL. Taiwan and the Philippines have alot in common when it comes to driving...rules are meer suggestions lol. Now I am home sick for driving in the PI lol.

04-12-08 Married

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Yes it is ok, a IDP is just a translation, nothing more. Being all official docs in the PI are in english there is nothing to translate. You can drive for 1 year with your PI licence but I would suggest you get one for your state as soon as possible. I know how it is to drive in the philippines....I accually like it :devil: I can drive as aggressivly as I want....the birdie finger can wave greetings and I dont have to worry about somone pulling a gun and shooting me! LOL. Taiwan and the Philippines have alot in common when it comes to driving...rules are meer suggestions lol. Now I am home sick for driving in the PI lol.

Thanks.. :thumbs: You are a dare devil huh! :diablo: Driving most especially in the streets of Manila is like entering "law less" maze.. :rofl:

Thanks.. :thumbs: You are a dare devil huh! :diablo: Driving most especially in the streets of Manila is like entering "law less" maze.. :rofl:

Well lets just say I can drive more aggressive then any jeepney,bus or taxi driver, they move out of my way! I remember we were heading to Monumento and and i squeezed in between a jeepney and a bus...I saw the bus drivers eyes as I came through

he was scared and I was laughing...my wife was screaming at me and hitting me the whole time! God I love it. Here in the sates I drive like the millions of other drivers, save and sane! Its nice to let go and drive really bad.

I read something one day that was funny but true...It had to do with asians..Asains are some of the smartest people in the world, have some of the best reflexes in the world also...that being said, most cant drive worth a #######! LOL, ok just kiddings a little, I accually think much more of asians then I do any other race in the world.

04-12-08 Married

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Filed: Timeline
Well lets just say I can drive more aggressive then any jeepney,bus or taxi driver, they move out of my way! I remember we were heading to Monumento and and i squeezed in between a jeepney and a bus...I saw the bus drivers eyes as I came through

he was scared and I was laughing...my wife was screaming at me and hitting me the whole time! God I love it. Here in the sates I drive like the millions of other drivers, save and sane! Its nice to let go and drive really bad.

I read something one day that was funny but true...It had to do with asians..Asains are some of the smartest people in the world, have some of the best reflexes in the world also...that being said, most cant drive worth a #######! LOL, ok just kiddings a little, I accually think much more of asians then I do any other race in the world.

Now why would you squeezed between a jeep and bus? thats pretty reckless. Your reckless driving could have caused an accident. You seem very pretty proud of your "aggressive" driving skills.

I speak my mind, so please don't take it personally.

I'm here at VJ to help 'Reshape the Filipina Image Online.' <- click

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.