steve100100

infopass to get my I-551 stamp

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I need to get an info pass appointment to get the I-551 stamp in my passport, as I will be travelling back to the UK for a week shortly before my conditional green card expires. I am filing my I-751 in TX, so I am not holding my breath about getting my NOA extension letter before we leave. Does anyone know if I can schedule an infopass appointment now, or do I have to wait until they receive my I-751 packet, which I will be sending in later this month?

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
If your card won't be expired yet, even if there is very little time left on it, I doubt they will give you a stamp. In any case, if you get back before it expires, technically you should be fine.

My wife got her passport stamped at Newark well before the extension letter expired. However, they took her expired green card away at the same time.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I need to get an info pass appointment to get the I-551 stamp in my passport, as I will be travelling back to the UK for a week shortly before my conditional green card expires. I am filing my I-751 in TX, so I am not holding my breath about getting my NOA extension letter before we leave. Does anyone know if I can schedule an infopass appointment now, or do I have to wait until they receive my I-751 packet, which I will be sending in later this month?

Thanks!

When you say you are traveling to the UK "for a week shortly before" your green card expires, do you mean it will expire while you are in the UK? If not, then you have no problem -- even if it expires the day after you return. If it will expire while you are in the UK, then you can certainly try to set up an Infopass appointment online. The online form asks for both an alien number and a receipt number regardless of the services you are seeking, so I would think that even if you leave the receipt number blank, you would still be able to get an appointment.

There's only one way to find out, so go ahead and try. If/when you get the appointment, remember that you should bring your plane tickets to show you will be out of the country when the green card expires.

BTW, you are NOT filing your I-751 in Texas. Texas no longer processes I-751s; Vermont now processes the ones that used to go to Texas. Read the USCIS memo at the end of the pinned thread in this forum.

Meh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.