YodaPagoda

Headed to the Philippines

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm headed to the Philippines in September, more specifically to Butuan City to meet someone I've been corresponding with for a while now. I've found precious little information on Butuan, and have relied on my sweetheart to find a suitable place for me to stay. I'll likely stay at a hotel the whole time I'm there, although I have a feeling her family would gladly let me stay there.

I have found a picture site, but the map leaves something to be desired.

Butuan City Pictures

I sure hope someone can help! :blush:

12/29/2009 - - - - -Met on CherryBlossoms

3/12/2010 - - - - - -Arrived in Manila and fell madly in love

3/25/2010 - - - - - -Proposed (of course she said YES!)

3/31/2010 - - - - - -Departed Manila (and the love of my life)

5/22/2010 - 5/27/2010 - - - - - -Arrived in Manila again...we have an apartment together!

8/22/2010 - 9/5/2010 - - - - - - -Arrived in Manila yet again...I love not paying for hotels!

11/23/2010- - - - - Arrived in Manila (Just in time for my birthday!)

1/5/2011- - - - - - - Married!

1/28/2011- - - - - - Departed Manila (doesn't get any easier every time I do this :( )

3/19/2011- - - - - - Arrived in Manila (and off to the island of Leyte)

8/22//2011- - - - - - Wife interviewed for Tourist Visa -- DENIED!

9/16/2011- - - - - - Departed Manila (alone)

my baby says it is above davoa but same island i wish you luck while i stayed with my fiance and her brother to save money i have heard some suggest renting an apartment if you are going to be there any time at all it may be cheaper than a motel or resort good luck

2_950692851l.jpg

October 24, 2007 - we met online ( Cherry Blossoms)

February 24, 2008 - He came to the Philippines to finally meet me!

February 26, 2008 - He proposed to me and I said YES!

March 4, 2008 - Flew back home ( US )- sad

K1 timeline:

April 7, 2008 - sent I-129f to VSC

April 10, 2008 - VSC received petition

April 18, 2008 - NOA1 hard copy received

May 9, 2008 - touched

July 14, 2008 - touched

July 15, 2008 - NOA2 (99days)

Aug.14-15,2008-Medical PASSED

Aug.22,2008- Interview PASSED (Pink Slip Only)

Aug.29,2008- VISA ON HAND

Sept.3,2008- POE Houston TX

October 25, 2008 - Officially Mrs. Eaton

AOS Timeline:

March 10, 2009 - AOS package sent to USCIS via FedEx

March 12, 2009 12:21pm - AOS package delivered to USCIS

March 20, 2009 - Check cashed

March 21, 2009 - NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765

March 24, 2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 4, 2009 - Case transferred to CSC

April 7, 2009 - Biometrics appointment is done

May 4, 2009 - AP approval notice received

May 8,2008 - EAD received

June 3, 2009 - Welcome notice from CRIS via email

June 8, 2009 - Receive hard copy of welcome notice on the mail

June 15, 2009 - Card production ordered

June 27, 2009 - Green Card on hand ( 2 years )

If you are puti I suggest you have your lady meet you in Cebu or somewhere other than Mindanao.

Butuan and lots of areas on Mindanao are hotspots for rebels.

11 dead as rebels attack Philippines resort island: officials BUTUAN, Philippines, June 29, (AFP) - A hundred communist guerrillas raided a southern Philippines resort island and clashed with security forces, leaving nine rebels and two policemen dead, officials said Sunday. The New People's Army (NPA) blew up telecommunications links to Siargao island, the country's surfing capital, late Saturday, and ransacked the municipal police armories, local Philippine Army spokeswoman Major Michelle Anayron told reporters. (Posted @ 21:14 PST)

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

we are 4 hours away from BUTUAN city and it is safe there as long as your within the city, they have domestic airports that has a flight to manila daily by PAL and cebu pacific. they have fastfood like mc donalds and some fancy restaurant. Plus the people are warm and very nice.

for hotels you can check:

HOTEL KAraga or dotties place... they are about less than $50 a day.

if your looking for adventure like white water rafting drop by at cagayan de oro city too :star:

i hope this helps !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you are puti I suggest you have your lady meet you in Cebu or somewhere other than Mindanao.

Butuan and lots of areas on Mindanao are hotspots for rebels.

Attacks like these have been going on for decades so it's nothing new. I was in Davao and central Mindanao and didn't see any indication that people were scared. There were some unmanned army checkpoints so there didn't seem to be a heighten state of alert. The hotspots are in the southwest of Mindanao and islands south of Mindanao.

In any case, foreigners aren't usually a target for the communists.

Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Last year I visited Butuan city, with my 8yr old son. My wife, back then fiance is from there, barangay ong yiu. The best place to stay is Almont Inland resort, $65 a night which is very close to the mall (do not be confused with the Almont Motel which is in the City). The Almont has nice accomadations, a great swimming pool, ac, cable television, free breakfast.

The city is safe but like any city I would stay in at night. Staying with the family is a good idea. (Karaga is seedy, there are GRO there... my fiance forbid me to stay there. Dotties place is also nice but a bit far out of the City.

Take Cebu Pacific, they have a flight from Manila to Butuan every day. PAL has a flight also but is more expensive.

I think it is best to go to her hometown. Spend time with her family. Do the "Pamamanhikan".

In general there is not much to do in Butan... there are a few beaches near by.

I think the worst thing is the flooding, Butuan is under the sea level and is a floating city. Be prepared to wade through water.

Butuan has the oldest known archelogical finds in the Philippines. There is a near by museum, which is nice to visit.

let me know if you have other questions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I am a Filipina from Manila, I stayed before in Butuan for a month during my job placement in Mindanao, I enjoyed my whole one month there, fabulous people, I stayed in a apartment type together with my colleagues which is much much cheaper compare to a hotel. But in Butuan hotels are cheaper than any other cities in Mindanao I guess.

I agree with ruby_jade, you should visit nearby places, like Cagayan de Oro, and Bukidnon, and also the most famous Camiguin Island yaaaay search that online and you will definitely fall in love with it's beauty. When I was in Mindanao I did not want to go back to Manila hahaha!

Have a safe trip and good luck!

Edited by jeffcloe

For we walk by faith, not by sight.

II Corinthians 5:7

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was on Mindanao in January, and found the people for the most part to be very friendly. I only had one tense moment, but thankfully our jeepney pulled up at just the right time. Just be alert to your surroundings, and trust your girl. She will know how to take care of you the best. Definitely don't go wandering around after dark. Like it was said before, most of the problems are in southwest Mindanao. I wouldn't go near Marawi if you paid me. LOL

usflag1ex1wu2.gifphflag1cu8ef4.gif

dsc004701cw2.th.jpg

Be Glad you don't have to stay in the "Arm Pit of the Phiippines" known as Manila.

I have been all over Mindanao and it' very safe except for a couple of area, that are heavy Muslims. (Jolo Sulu, and General Santos - that I stay away from).

If you are close to Camigun Island take your girl there and hang out there, you can get ocean front for about 1300 peso, bout 30 bucks per night.

Staying In Butan, Hopefully you can find a good hotel for around $30 or less per night, that should include: Air Con, American Style Bathroom, American Size Bed, and Cable with Room Service.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.