MSU_Beavers

Working on a TN Visa and getting married.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, get this I called the Border Crossing and they said I would be able to get back into the US if I married an americal girl in Canada. All I need is a valid TN work visa. I called a different border crossing and they confirmed that I would be able to get back in the US.

I though forsure that I was screwed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From experience, I can say that they have NO CLUE. We explained the situation to Officer X. They told my husband that he could come here, get married in the US, go back to Canada and apply for advance parole in addition to the I-130 (for a CR1). Then, the next time we called (to verify what border guard #1 said), they said "no you can't do that, there's no Officer X here".

...and I've heard stories that the border or USCIS will *just say* things to the potential immigrant to get them out of the country, only to turn them away when they try and return before they have an immigrant visa...thus forcing out-of-country immigration visa processing.

It's true that you do have a valid TN visa, right now. But, like jedinite said earlier, that pretty much goes out the window the moment you marry because it is a clear sign of immigrant intent.

You really did get the best advice from the VJers when we say "stay here in the US".

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline
Ok, get this I called the Border Crossing and they said I would be able to get back into the US if I married an americal girl in Canada. All I need is a valid TN work visa. I called a different border crossing and they confirmed that I would be able to get back in the US.

I though forsure that I was screwed.

Don't fall for it! Of course they can tell you to leave the country that there will be no problem but the very essence of the TN is a temporary visa. If you have no strong ties to Canada, like you said you have "moved" to the US to work, then it gives them even more reason to revoke your TN. In my case when I was trying to return I pleaded with the person that I had my car and most of my possessions in the States and he told me that was even more reason not to let me back down. If I wanted my possessions I could get my wife or a friend to bring my stuff to me at a land border crossing and I would be able to exchange items from there.

I digress, the point is, letting someone out of the country is no problem for Customs since once you leave the country you are no longer of their concern. Once you try to return is when it's their job to question you and stop you if you do not meet the rules. Legally, it states that TN Visa is for temporary workers only, if your status changes because you are married, it's assumed that you intend on immigrating and thus you will have to file for an adjustment of status as you disqualify yourself from the TN. It's much easier and quicker for you to file for an AOS in the US than it is to leave the US and then file your I-130. You basically get expedited if you are in the US on a valid visa and you are looking to do an adjustment of status. If you end up locked out of the country you will have to wait like the rest of us and I've been waiting in Canada now for 8 months, but it also took my wife and I 2 months to decide if we might make the move to Canada or remain in the US, so I didn't file my I-130 until Feb.

It's ultimately up to you how you would like to proceed and I completely understand with your wedding plans why you would want to try and return to Canada to fulfill your wedding. You will take a chance returning to Canada to get married and trying to return. If you are stopped there's a chance that you will forfeit your TN, so you have to really weigh the pros and cons of your situation. Us that have or are going through this process recommend that you stay State-side and file your AOS, I-130, etc, it will cause much more headaches and heartaches to not be allowed to return to the US for a year.

Edited by jedinite

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I know I am a little late to this party...but I just saw this thread and just wanted to save another couple from the heartache my husband and I have gone through this past year. Jedinite and LadyJane are right on the money and I wish I had such advice last year.

My husband was in the US working on a TN VISA. We had been together for 4 years and got married without consulting VJ or any lawyers. We didn't do our homework ahead of time. Big mistake. Well...we too called the border and they told us he can certainly return to the US and he would have no problem traveling back and forth. Long story short - they stopped him at the border coming back into the US and said his marriage to a US citizen while on a TN visa showed intention to immigrate. Which is a no-no on a temp work visa. He failed to prove that he has enough substantial ties to Canada and was denied entry into the US until he had a green card. They fingerprinted him and took his picture. It was horrible and unexpected. We have had to hold done 2 households and travel back and forth and I would hate to see this happen to another couple. He lost his job and it really made for a challening first year of marriage. We are better for it and was determined to come out on top - but if I had to do it again :-) ...

VJ has ben far more helpful than any lawyer. Although, we do have a lawyer, we hired him prior to finding VJ and I am the one telling him what is going on. Hope you have had a sucessful outcome and if you continue with your plans, just know that having to go back to Canada until the Visa process is finished is a real possibility/ Good luck. Let us know how you make out!

Got Married: 12-15-2006

TN Visa Renewal Denied: 05-30-2007

(At the Peace Bridge & Unable to Return to US)

I-130 Sent: 07-16-2007

I-130 NOA1: 07-31-2007

I-130 Approved: 10-03-2007

NVC Received: 10-05-2007

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 10-15-2007

Pay I-864 Bill: 10-29-2007

Receive I-864 Package: 11-12-2007

Return Completed I-864: 11-26-2007

Receive Instruction Package: 01-07-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 06-24-2008

(403 days from our I-130 filing date)

Consulate Received: 07-11-2008

Packet 4 Received (via email): 07-16-2008

Medical in Toronto: 07-30-2008

Montreal Interview Date : 08-22-2008

(79 days from case completion)

APPROVED for CR-1 8/22 - Yay!!!!

Visa arrives: 8/27/08

Moving date and US arrival: 8/27/08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.