Saddle Bronc

BBC commentary about world-opinion effect on US election

1 post in this topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7449663.stm

Washington diary: Global Obamania

By Matt Frei

BBC News, Washington

"There is nothing that is wrong with America that can't be fixed by what is right with America."

The words were once uttered by a man who is now busy licking his own and his wife's wounds.

Bill Clinton is not used to failure.

But ironically his words turned out to be prophetic in a way that neither he nor any of us would have imagined.

After an electoral process that makes a round of Harry Potter's favourite game Quidditch look simple, the Democratic Party has eventually chosen a man whose name - some Americans can't help noticing - rhymes with Osama, and whose middle name is Hussein; who was brought up in Hawaii and Indonesia, and whose father was a Kenyan economist.

And all this in the middle of a war against foreign extremists.

If you had tried to sell the Obama story to the fiction editor of a major publishing company they would have laughed at you and ushered you to the door.

Good fiction needs to be plausible, they would have bleated.

Great reality can be as implausible as it wants, America has now replied.

Miserable

Back on the campaign trail, Barack Obama and John McCain are knuckling down to the nuts and bolts of their diverging economic policies.

Obama knows that he needs to stop sounding vague and hopeful and start sounding precise and resourceful.

If he fails to do this he will never win over those voters who are having a truly miserable time these days.

They need him to feel their pain and reduce it with sound policies.

Much of the rest of the world has the luxury of electoral irrelevance.

They are free to continue basking in Obamamania.

Correct: "Imaginary votes" have no effect on an election--especially when the people voting are oft ignorant thereof.

The last thing they want to hear about is the senator's proposals for tax reform and transport regulation.

So, in Berlin they are wearing Obama t-shirts.

Karsten Voigt, a former government minister, has been able to declare that Germany is Obamaland.

In Rome, one restaurant is apparently selling Obama pizzas, with olives and pineapple chunks - surely this is doing the man from a Chicago a culinary disservice?

On Bondi Beach in Sydney, they are drawing battleground states in the sand and debating whether a black man can win in Kentucky or Tennessee.

Enlightenment ideas

Obama's nomination has achieved in one night what hand-wringing Bush diplomacy has failed to deliver in four years: a powerful signal that America still has the power to surprise and inspire.

It proves that the revolutionary heart of this nation founded on ideas borrowed from the European Enlightenment still beats despite Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib.

The world peddles in symbols which never convey the complete picture and ride roughshod over nuance.

But America desperately needed a symbol which everyone at home and abroad could feel good about.

Legions of Republicans or Hillary Democrats may not like what they hear from Obama, they will probably never vote for him, but they cannot dislike what they see in him at first glance.

His very improbability gives Americans a reason to feel good about themselves and he gives the rest of the world a reason to feel good about America.

And that, of course, is where it may end.

His campaign could turn out to be a minefield of unexpected hiccups.

His presidency, if he ever gets there, could be haunted by mistakes and misjudgements.

He may lose on 4 November.

Fifty-Fifty nation

After another four and a half months of campaigning, America will be ready for any legal outcome delivered at the polls, assuming, of course, the votes can actually be counted.

The world needs to come down to reality and experience the cold turkey of American electoral politics.

Despite the lofty dreams ringing in campaign ears this remains the 50-50 nation.

American elections tend to be decided by a whisker-thin majority in the swing county of one swing state.

Obama may be a global citizen but to voters in West Virginia or parts of Ohio that sounds as pretentious as a double decaf Venti latte.

But before the German politician who wrote that Obama was a cross between John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King gets too sniffy about those hillbillies in America, just remember this:

Germany has a minority of four million Turks, but has elected only a handful of ethnic Turks to the Bundestag.

An ethnic Pakistani Prime Minister taking up residence at Number 10 Downing Street is even less likely than England winning the World Cup.

Frei fails to notice that in Canada, an ethnic Indian (basically identical to Pakistani, termed "South Asian" in Canada) became a Provincial Premier, and two (including the aforementioned Premier, who became Health Minister; the other was Revenue Minister in an earlier government) had federal cabinet positions. UK has far more South Asians than does Canada.

In Beijing, the overt racism shown to African students brought over under the bygone days of international Communism is truly shocking.

Even if America is not ready to elect a black president, the rest of the world has no right to point the finger.

And there is always the possibility that Obama failed not because he was black, not because he was too global, but simply because his vision of America's future did not add up.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.