Barbara y Alexis

internet from cuba?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

hey cuban fiance people,

has your fiance been having more difficulties with internet access, or what is his/her method?

mine used to pay to use the internet in the hotel where he worked, but says that since they hotels are open to cubans, they are being stricter with the internet access in the lobbies or business centers, demanding to see a foreign passport.

anyone having the same problem? this is in havana.

i guess i shouldn't complain because now i am getting lots more long letters instead of short little emails, but i am just curious what other people are experiencing.

if they use the public email at correos de cuba, how is that going? i hear sometimes the lines are very very long.

well, thanks for any info and keeping in touch.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hola chica,

the internet has been very good lately from correodecuba, Aldeki writes me daily unless he has a day where he isn't in town and is home in Boyeros, I am thrilled to say i have hundreds of beautiful love notes!! Recently they are much longer and more detailed. And he sends me picture files all the time now of his latest works ( photos)so I know the accessibility de servicios es good. bien entonces,.. My other cubano friends and familia all claim the the mail is frequently picked thru though and so they use little codes for some things and to test. Since I am half cuban maybe none of this is news to me and i try not to let it bother, but once in a while when the mail gets held up for many hours and i am waiting for an answer to a question it is nerve wracking. yes, the amount of people waiting at all tiendas de correo is many and so it always takes un media hora---una hora para esperar... dificil pero mas barato ... The hotels are expensive to use and the service goes down often mid mensage, esa no es bueno! . Since I left in march it has been torture, being here living apart, so hard. Gracias dios we will be together in 2 days!!! And no more internet for us for a while!!!!! We go to the sierrra maestras to be with family and then get married, after that, just work to live and the back and forth will eventually be together not seperate. Time and distance between partners has a meaning all its own, entiende? claro, tu' sabes.... so any way, it is still very good to hear about other couples and to stay connected to sweet people. hope you are well and that spring there is very nice. we finally have leaves and flowers and my gardens are all planted so while I am away they will produce much for others to enjoy. take care, j

One love...

Timeline

In Camaguey, There are places which mary used when she wrote emails. It is correo de cuba and the lines are long in the afternoon. usally around 7:00pm there are less people. They are not allow to browse the internet, and these internet places only offer intranet, which is only email. But there are many out there that have internet in there home, if we wanted to chat using yahoo messanger she went to a friends house. Mary is receiving emails from family in cuba, and chatting daily with people in camaguey. So far we haven't seen a problem with internet access in Camaguey. Edwin

Edited by EdwinandMary

Timeline
hey cuban fiance people,

has your fiance been having more difficulties with internet access, or what is his/her method?

mine used to pay to use the internet in the hotel where he worked, but says that since they hotels are open to cubans, they are being stricter with the internet access in the lobbies or business centers, demanding to see a foreign passport.

i guess i shouldn't complain because now i am getting lots more long letters instead of short little emails, but i am just curious what other people are experiencing.

if they use the public email at correos de cuba, how is that going? i hear sometimes the lines are very very long.

Waiting lines (colas) at Correos de Cuba can be quite long depending on the location. There is also a half hour or one hour use limit. Also, sometimes the connection drops or gets sluggish because of technical issues...plus, most places charge like 5 cuc for one hour of service. We used to email through people (usually doctors) that had email access; although this was not the best in terms of privacy. Also, they have some "youth computer clubs" where you can actually chat with a video camera for cheap; they have IM too through yahoo.es and other services.

We used phone calls quite a lot...but you all know that gets really expensive.....

Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline
hey cuban fiance people,

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I email each other nearly every day- he uses his correos de cuba account. The central server often goes down (like today, mid-conversation), or sometimes the guy running the IP decides he doesn't feel like hanging around and closes early, and other times the lines are incredibly long and he can't get in on time. Because my boyfriend is a tour guide, he can pass by the IP in the daytime to see if the lines are short, then he'll take his lunch break if there's no line. I think noontime is better than late afternoon. If he waits until after work, sometimes he can't get in. I know that the IP in Habana Vieja closes at 6pm, but there's one near the Plaza de la Revolucion that is 24 hours. And like another user said, its costly: 5 cuc per hour, 3 cuc per half hour.

Hope this info helps :) enjoy the letters that you're getting, though, they're always better!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.