HollyC

Peruvian living in Japan

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone. I am from the US but my fiance is from Peru, but is a resident of Japan. When we apply for the K1 visa, does he have to go back to Peru or can he apply from Japan? Does anyone know? I am very new to this whole thing and there are so many things to do. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi everyone. I am from the US but my fiance is from Peru, but is a resident of Japan. When we apply for the K1 visa, does he have to go back to Peru or can he apply from Japan? Does anyone know? I am very new to this whole thing and there are so many things to do. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If he has long term permission to stay in Japan and wants to, Tokyo will probably accept his case.

If he's staying in Japan and you can go there, you can investigate DCF (see the Guides) and look at getting married and filing from there--Japan is one of the few countries that do not require the USC to be resident there to file.

When it is all so new, your best bet is to slow down, read a lot and don't make a move for a couple of weeks until you understand all the particulars of the different methods.

Have fun! :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline

If he has long term permission to stay in Japan and wants to, Tokyo will probably accept his case.

If he's staying in Japan and you can go there, you can investigate DCF (see the Guides) and look at getting married and filing from there--Japan is one of the few countries that do not require the USC to be resident there to file.

When it is all so new, your best bet is to slow down, read a lot and don't make a move for a couple of weeks until you understand all the particulars of the different methods.

Thanks for the reply. Actually my fiance does have residence status there. We just weren't sure if he could do all the paperwork from Japan or he had to return to Peru. I am in the US now and can't file the DCF because I would have to be a resident in Japan or residing there as well. I have been reading and reading and there is just so much information but usually I have been reading about people and the foreigner is in their home country so I wasn't sure about our case. I guess he can always ask the US Embassy in Tokyo if he can do that. I would hate for him to do all the papers, turn it in, only to be denied and we have to wait longer. But I appreciate the reply.

Thanks

Holly

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. Actually my fiance does have residence status there. We just weren't sure if he could do all the paperwork from Japan or he had to return to Peru. I am in the US now and can't file the DCF because I would have to be a resident in Japan or residing there as well. I have been reading and reading and there is just so much information but usually I have been reading about people and the foreigner is in their home country so I wasn't sure about our case. I guess he can always ask the US Embassy in Tokyo if he can do that. I would hate for him to do all the papers, turn it in, only to be denied and we have to wait longer. But I appreciate the reply.

Thanks

Holly

The Consulate in Tokyo does not require the USC to be resident there to file I-130 for a spouse; there are several stories in the DCF forum here (search the achives as well).

If you want to pursue a third coutry case, as long as your fiance has residency in Japan, Toyko should have no problem taking his case. You can call/write ahead to confirm; you do not have to wait and be denied. We did a third country case, and as long as the beneficiary is legally resident, they are served by the Consulate of their residency.

Best wishes~!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.