belysn

GC approved while temporarily living overseas

1 post in this topic

Hello, I'm new to this boards and would like to see if you guys can help me figure something out. Here is the situation:

I applied for AOS on Jan 06. At the interview (Jul 06) I was told my case was pending name check. In Jan 07 my husband (US citizen) was given a temporary job assignment in Spain with a return date back to the US of March 09.

We moved to Spain, I returned 3 times to US to get/renew advance parole documents, last one of witch will expire on August 08.

GC was approved and sent to my US address at the beggining of this month (April 08)

My husband will bring GC to me, so in my next trip (June 08) I will be entering the country for the first time as a GC holder.

Now, this trip will only be for one week, as we are still in Spain for less than a year more.

I will probably won't go back until our final return date on march of 09.

I'm planning to travel both times with a letter from my husband's company explaining the reason why we are abroad.

The question is, since I know beforehand that I'm entering this time for a short period and then not coming back for more than 6 months, will the inmigration officer doubt of my intention to continue to reside in the US?

I mean, I would have asked for the re-entry permit BEFORE coming to Spain for the first time, but since they took so long with the name check thing, It was impossible for me to do so.

I noticed that there are new requirements to ask for the re-entry permit and that they are now asking you submit fingerprints before traveling, but I can't do that this trip since is going to be very short. (I have small kids and I need to get back to them)

Hopefully you guys can help me clarify my options since everything is coming down to me quite fast now (after almost 2 years of waiting :blink: )

Thank you

Edited by belysn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.