TinTin and Samby

SLEC - Pregnant Beneficiary

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all.

I have 3 questions regarding my TinTin's upcoming SLEC Medical Exam next week for her K1 visa.

#1) As I understand it, the SLEC (and USE) tries to tell the pregnant woman that the XRay is perfectly safe for the fetus with the apron shield in place. However, I also understand that if the woman insists on not taking the xray, an exception is available and granted. Can anyone confirm this?

#2) What about vaccinations? Are all vaccinations skipped due to pregnancy (to be done in US after baby's birth, but before AOS)?

#3) If the Xray is not taken and the Vaccinations are not done, does that mean that an SLEC exam for a pregnant woman is only 1 day? 2nd day not required because no xray to pick up or vaccinations to take? Can anyone comment on this? If you were pregnant, did they finish everything, including all paperwork on day 1 so no need to return for day 2?

Thanks much!

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello to all..

I'm in the same situation as with Tintin & Samby...

We just received our NOA2 and probably have my medical and interview in 2 months time.

And I'm almost on my 6th month...

So if anybody could help us about how the SLEC will do the process for us pregnants..

Thank you so much!

Timeline

Hi Francis Rohan, Looks like we are in the same boat, as you say. :)

I am pretty sure of the point of allowing the beneficiary to reject the Xray, but It sure would be great is some other VJ members who were pregnant for their medical exam could drop by and comment on their experience.

Warm Regards,

Samby

TinTin and Samby

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Tintin and francis Lohan! pls count me in. Im n the same boat too and Im still waiting for some Vj member replies who been through with this sittuation. As of now Im still waiting for my appointment date. In addition to Tintin question if ever we got approved on our Visa( praying) will the USEM will allow the beneficiary to travel? or we have to wait for baby's birth and file for CRBA?

Thanks!!!

"I know what I am planning for you....'I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you.I will give you hope and a good future."[/color][/size][/font][/i]

09/17/07----I29F package sent to CSC

09/28/07----NOA1 received

02/08/08----petition approved online

02/14/08----NOA2 hardcopy received

02/22/08----NVC received/ MNL200855....

05/13/08----gave birth to a baby boy!

06/23 &25/08----medical passed

07/01/08----interview approved but they returned my passport

crba

07/01/08----picked up forms for crba

07/02/08----request for advance endorsement of bc

07/28/08----got BC from NSO

08/25/08----got papers from fiance

08/26/08----CRBA interview( request for DNA test)

09/12/08----DNA test @ SLEC

Depending on how far you are in your pregnancy, SLEC might do an xray. But definitely an xray is contraindicated during the first 3 months or the first trimester. Because it is teratogenic or is harmful to the babies. Same with the immunizations. SLEC gives out 2 vaccines, varicella and MMR which is also contraindicated for pregnant women regardless of how far they are in their pregnancy.

With these info, I hope someone from VJ will post her experience whether the medical lasted for one day only. Logic wise, it should only take a day :)

sorry i wasn't of much help :(

Sent N400: Oct 27, 2011

NOA: Nov 1, 2011

Biometrics: Nov 16, 2011

Yellow letter date: 12/14/2011

Yellow letter received: 12/19/2011

Timeline
Depending on how far you are in your pregnancy, SLEC might do an xray. But definitely an xray is contraindicated during the first 3 months or the first trimester. Because it is teratogenic or is harmful to the babies. Same with the immunizations. SLEC gives out 2 vaccines, varicella and MMR which is also contraindicated for pregnant women regardless of how far they are in their pregnancy.

With these info, I hope someone from VJ will post her experience whether the medical lasted for one day only. Logic wise, it should only take a day :)

sorry i wasn't of much help :(

thank you, it's a great help..i really appreciate it. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! Tin Tin can you update you SLEC experience here pls.......

"I know what I am planning for you....'I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you.I will give you hope and a good future."[/color][/size][/font][/i]

09/17/07----I29F package sent to CSC

09/28/07----NOA1 received

02/08/08----petition approved online

02/14/08----NOA2 hardcopy received

02/22/08----NVC received/ MNL200855....

05/13/08----gave birth to a baby boy!

06/23 &25/08----medical passed

07/01/08----interview approved but they returned my passport

crba

07/01/08----picked up forms for crba

07/02/08----request for advance endorsement of bc

07/28/08----got BC from NSO

08/25/08----got papers from fiance

08/26/08----CRBA interview( request for DNA test)

09/12/08----DNA test @ SLEC

Timeline
Hi! Tin Tin can you update you SLEC experience here pls.......

Hi to all.

Well, we are going to early medical at SLEC next Tuesday, 18 March 2008. Embassy interview is 4 April 2008.

Unfortunately, no one in our situation has posted their personal experiences at SLEC. Here is what I have learned 3rd hand via reading documents, etc:

1. SLEC really tries to get the beneficairy to take the xray. They quote some BS from the US Health Department that "Xrays have not been found harmful to the fetus". Yeah...sure, that's why everyone I know, including TinTin's doctor says, Well of course not..no xrays when you are pregnant... There used to be some actual text on the Manila Embassy web site that said "An exception is available for pregnany women". However, the site has been updated in the past week or so and that text does not seem to be there anymore. I don't know if that is on purpose or not. One thing that is not clear to me is how will SLEC be able to do a TB screen without an Xray. Skin tests on adults in the Philippines is pretty much worthless due to the type of immunications that were common historically here.

So this point is not clear to me. If you decline the xray, does that mean they can't do a TB screen? And if they can't do a TB screen, does that mean you can't pass the medical and are therefore ineligible for a Visa??? How I wish someone here from VJ that has been through this before would assist us with their personal experience....

2. Vaccinations: Even though the USA lists a bunch of vaccinations, it appears that only 2 are performed here in Manila. Both of these two vaccinations are specifically listed in the US/CDC vaccination instructions as contraindicated during pregnancy. It is well known that vaccines are not TECHNICALLY REQUIRED before entry into the USA for a K1 beneficiary, so no vaccines will be given at SLEC and if you are in need of some, you will have to do them later in the US after the baby's birth.

3. I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not SLEC will release documents on Day 1, instead of waiting until Day 2, since (if) no other Day 2 activities are needed (ie Xray, vaccinations).

Anyone else get any other/different info on this subject??

Warm Regards,

TinTin and Samby

Edited by TinTin and Samby

TinTin and Samby

Timeline
I believe MMR is only contraindicated for pregnant women in the first trimester.

Not True. MMR is one of the contraindicated vaccines for pregnaant women, per the CDC Immunization Guidelines:

Here is the link: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules...lt-schedule.pdf

Best Regards,

Samby

TinTin and Samby

you're right, TB skin test (PPD) for adults are not reliable and seldom done. But there is another way to screen TB, which is through AFB Smear which is done by collecting the sputum or saliva for 3 consecutive days.

I have a suggestion, why don't you call SLEC and ask how they go about for pregnant patients? Maybe you'll be enlightened :)

If they tell you that you will have to do the xray, and you're on your 5th month or more, that is considered "safe" by medical standard :)

Sent N400: Oct 27, 2011

NOA: Nov 1, 2011

Biometrics: Nov 16, 2011

Yellow letter date: 12/14/2011

Yellow letter received: 12/19/2011

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

TinTin had her Medical Exam at SLEC this week and here are the answers to the questions that we were trying to find out before her exam. See answers in BOLD below:

Warm Regards,

Samby

Hi all.

I have 3 questions regarding my TinTin's upcoming SLEC Medical Exam next week for her K1 visa.

#1) As I understand it, the SLEC (and USE) tries to tell the pregnant woman that the XRay is perfectly safe for the fetus with the apron shield in place. However, I also understand that if the woman insists on not taking the xray, an exception is available and granted. Can anyone confirm this?

The X Ray waiver for pregnant beneficiaries was discontinued in October 2007. The waiver is no longer available. All beneficiaries regardless of how early or late they are in their pregnancies are required to have a chest Xray. No Xray, no Embassy Interview. No Embassy Interview, no Visa. Of course you can choose to postpone the xray until after the (local) birth of the baby. If that will be within 6 months of the medical exam, then you can return for the xray only and its results, as well as the previous medical records, will then be forwarded to the US Embassy. If it will be longer than 6 months, then the other parts of the medical exam will expire and the entire medical exam will have to be redone - including another full SLEC Medical Payment.

#2) What about vaccinations? Are all vaccinations skipped due to pregnancy (to be done in US after baby's birth, but before AOS)?

Yes, for the philippines, all available vaccinations are granted a deferral until after the baby is born in the states. Note, however, that there are some vaccines that are not contra indicated during pregnancy. However, none of those are currently available in the phillippines.

#3) If the Xray is not taken and the Vaccinations are not done, does that mean that an SLEC exam for a pregnant woman is only 1 day? 2nd day not required because no xray to pick up or vaccinations to take? Can anyone comment on this? If you were pregnant, did they finish everything, including all paperwork on day 1 so no need to return for day 2?

If you arrive and start early enough in the morning, there is a small possibility that all results will be complete and ready for release on the first day. However, most likely, you will still need to return on day 2 to pick up the release papers.

Thanks much!

Warm Regards,

Samby

Edited by TinTin and Samby

TinTin and Samby

Timeline
TinTin had her Medical Exam at SLEC this week and here are the answers to the questions that we were trying to find out before her exam. See answers in BOLD below:

Warm Regards,

Samby

Hi all.

The X Ray waiver for pregnant beneficiaries was discontinued in October 2007. The waiver is no longer available. All beneficiaries regardless of how early or late they are in their pregnancies are required to have a chest Xray. No Xray, no Embassy Interview. No Embassy Interview, no Visa. Of course you can choose to postpone the xray until after the (local) birth of the baby. If that will be within 6 months of the medical exam, then you can return for the xray only and its results, as well as the previous medical records, will then be forwarded to the US Embassy. If it will be longer than 6 months, then the other parts of the medical exam will expire and the entire medical exam will have to be redone - including another full SLEC Medical Payment.

Yes, for the philippines, all available vaccinations are granted a deferral until after the baby is born in the states. Note, however, that there are some vaccines that are not contra indicated during pregnancy. However, none of those are currently available in the phillippines.

If you arrive and start early enough in the morning, there is a small possibility that all results will be complete and ready for release on the first day. However, most likely, you will still need to return on day 2 to pick up the release papers.

Thanks much!

Warm Regards,

Samby

Hi fellow preggy beneficiaries...

I've read something about xray for pregnant..

Is it safe to have x-rays while pregnant?

X-rays are generally safe during pregnancy. In most x-ray tests, the dose of radiation to the fetus is quite small. The usual exposure limit of an unborn baby is 5 units of radiation. Most x-rays have much less radiation. Special techniques can be used to reduce fetal exposure even further. For example, a lead apron can be placed over your abdomen and pelvis to protect the fetus when the x-rays are taken. If you think you might be pregnant, tell your doctor so that an informed decision can be made.

I got it from this: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/...c/tp/tpxray.jsp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.