rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have had a hard time fitting in like I have? It'll be 3 years in March since I've lived here and I absolutely hate it. I went back home in September for a few weeks and even though it's incredibly expensive, I miss the laid back attitude and the culture. Americans are too brash and rude for me and take everything so seriously. I want to move back as soon as I can but we're having money problems and there are legal issues that might take a while to get through. It's literally one thing after another and I've just about had enough, I miss my family and friends in NZ. This was a very eye-opening experience but I wish I would have moved back home sooner.

I see you're living in WA - which is where I am going to be but only for 6 weeks. When I visited my (then boyfriend) in May I felt out of place there. Conversely, when I visited him when he was sent to the East Coast, I felt much more 'at home'. This is despite WA and Christchurch having pretty similar climates and landscapes!

We're a year apart in age. I don't know if it's weird or not, but when I'm there for 6 weeks (we'll be moving on to San Fran and then to Germany for 4 years) would you like to catch up maybe for a coffee or something? Sometimes all it takes is to hear our accent to feel a little happier again. I even get that here in Aussie!

See my timeline for my expedited I-130 application due to military pcs

n-400

Expedited naturalization (under s 319(b) INA) due to military pcs

n-400 sent: 2013-02-02

NOA1: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date rec: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date: 2013-03-07 (EB walk in 2013-02-20)

Second biometrics: 2013-03-19 (First set unclassifiable)

Inline for interview: 2013-03-21

Testing/interview date: 2013-03-27

Oath ceremony: 2013-03-27

Moving to Germany! 2013-04-13

I'm A United States Citizen

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see you're living in WA - which is where I am going to be but only for 6 weeks. When I visited my (then boyfriend) in May I felt out of place there. Conversely, when I visited him when he was sent to the East Coast, I felt much more 'at home'. This is despite WA and Christchurch having pretty similar climates and landscapes!

We're a year apart in age. I don't know if it's weird or not, but when I'm there for 6 weeks (we'll be moving on to San Fran and then to Germany for 4 years) would you like to catch up maybe for a coffee or something? Sometimes all it takes is to hear our accent to feel a little happier again. I even get that here in Aussie!

Yes! That would be so nice, thank you :) I haven't met another Kiwi here in the time that I've lived here, and obviously the ones back home have no idea what it's like. I love my American friends and they try so hard to help me fit in, but they too don't really understand. All the immigrants I've met are either a lot older than I am, and/or they've been here 20+ years. I really enjoy living here from a superficial and materialistic standpoint - unlimited broadband & smartphone data, cheap food, cheaper alcohol, affordable clothes, makeup and shoes. I would never be able to afford a brand new car in NZ. But when it comes to feeling like you really belong, and having people "get" your sense of humor, NZ wins hands down. I don't feel so judged and pressured over there.

Whereabouts in WA will you be? Are you looking forward to moving to Germany?

Yes! That would be so nice, thank you :) I haven't met another Kiwi here in the time that I've lived here, and obviously the ones back home have no idea what it's like. I love my American friends and they try so hard to help me fit in, but they too don't really understand. All the immigrants I've met are either a lot older than I am, and/or they've been here 20+ years. I really enjoy living here from a superficial and materialistic standpoint - unlimited broadband & smartphone data, cheap food, cheaper alcohol, affordable clothes, makeup and shoes. I would never be able to afford a brand new car in NZ. But when it comes to feeling like you really belong, and having people "get" your sense of humor, NZ wins hands down. I don't feel so judged and pressured over there.

Whereabouts in WA will you be? Are you looking forward to moving to Germany?

I understand. I found that a lot of them really don't understand our peacefulness - like I'm strongly against guns, and the whole violence thing in the USA scares the hell out of me. I guess a lot of people who are emigrating from their home countries don't have the same stance as the USA is more of a safe haven for them.

Have you tried finding just expats in general? I've found here in Perth that I clung to expats for a long time, until I got into a good group of Australian friends, but the expat network has been excellent. What are you doing for a living there? Or are you staying at home?

My husband works at Lewis-McChord but has been away for the past few months with the USAF. He's getting an apartment for us in Puyallup for the time that we are there, he should be moving in within the next couple of weeks. I'd love to meet up with you when I get there- I'll PM you my facebook or email address if you like? Excited about having a kiwi over there!

I'm a little nervous about moving to Germany. It will be even more isolated and further from home. The odds of finding a kiwi are slim to none, too. I know another kiwi in Seattle so maybe I should get you guys in touch too. It seems kiwis like spreading their wings to the USA - just a matter of finding them! And Aussies and South Africans understand us equally as well when they're overseas!

See my timeline for my expedited I-130 application due to military pcs

n-400

Expedited naturalization (under s 319(b) INA) due to military pcs

n-400 sent: 2013-02-02

NOA1: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date rec: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date: 2013-03-07 (EB walk in 2013-02-20)

Second biometrics: 2013-03-19 (First set unclassifiable)

Inline for interview: 2013-03-21

Testing/interview date: 2013-03-27

Oath ceremony: 2013-03-27

Moving to Germany! 2013-04-13

I'm A United States Citizen

Mixxer from these forums is a kiwi and is in Seattle :-) (at least I think she is.)

The entire 3 years living in Reno I only met 1 kiwi and she was extremly rude, met loads of kiwis in San francisco at the monthly kiwi meetings though; lovely people.

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have had a hard time fitting in like I have? It'll be 3 years in March since I've lived here and I absolutely hate it. I went back home in September for a few weeks and even though it's incredibly expensive, I miss the laid back attitude and the culture. Americans are too brash and rude for me and take everything so seriously. I want to move back as soon as I can but we're having money problems and there are legal issues that might take a while to get through. It's literally one thing after another and I've just about had enough, I miss my family and friends in NZ. This was a very eye-opening experience but I wish I would have moved back home sooner.

2008 after living in the US for 3 years we decided to call it quits also; we were having major money issues; had a house foreclosed on us, lost jobs etc so I sold a website I owned and we moved back to New Zealand..... WORST MISTAKE EVER!!!!!!

We have spent the last 4 years clawing our way out of New Zealand; in hindsight we should have moved to a different state and stuck it out instead of screwing ourselves moving to New Zealand.

When we got back to NZ it was ahh so relaxing but then reality kicked into gear and the rose tinted glasses fell off our faces; New Zealand just wasn't all that anymore; shockingly damp cold houses, rip off food markets, crappy healthcare, I didnt fit in anymore as I was too Americanized, plus loads more depressing factors.

America has its many faults BUT America is just awesome and it took us moving back to 'Godszone' to realize that.

I think if New Zealand was the same now as it was when I was growing up then it would be hard to move back to America but then again when I was growing up in NZ life in America was even better I would imagine.

If you don't like WA, move to a different state; America is huge. I suggest the Bay Area in Ca if you want to be around other Expats; the kiwi club in San Fran is pretty sweet. http://www.sfkiwis.com/

Thanks for your input guys :) Sometimes I think we should have moved to a bigger city (Seattle would be the closest), but all of my husband's family and friends are in this little isolated desert town so here we are! I am super liberal so I feel really out of place in a conservative, religious, gun-totin', deer-huntin', truck-drivin', country-music-lovin' area. I've honestly just about had as much as I can take. It's hard to stay positive when it's been nothing but struggles since day one. I think once I get a lot of these loose ends tied up I'll consider moving back home or at least to a bigger city in a different area. The hard part will be convincing my husband to come with me!

San Fran is the number 1 liberal city in the USA; Seattle is pretty well up there to though.

http://dailycaller.c...endly-counties/

I would love to live in San Fran! Maybe not IN the city though, I think my perfect area would be a smaller center near a bigger city, kind of like how Bellevue is close to Seattle but is still a small city on its own. It would be weird not having any friends or (his) relatives close by though, but if I could meet more Kiwis that would be a consolation.

On another note, can anyone tell me how long it was after they filed for removal of conditions that they had an interview? Thanks!

Edited by Zeddess

• 5 months later...

*bump*

just wanted to bump this so any kiwis going through the visa process can see this star_smile.gif

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi there, I'm kinda new here but happy to have found a kiwi thread. I am finding the whole process a little daunting and really stressful. I live in Whitianga and am currently getting all my docs together to send to Embassy for my interview date. My 13 year old daughter is also on my visa application and its a process and a half. Be nice to connect with some fellow kiwis doing the same.

We had our medical last week and now all I need is a letter from her Dad (I use that term loosely) saying he allows her to go. very frustrating that I need that given he has had very little to do with her up until now but its required so we are battling through that with the help of a lawyer. Once I have that I send the last of the documentation off and get our interview date.

Anyone else here had the same problem...?

• 1 month later...

I've been lurking here all here but I haven't posted, we filed in February and I'm now at the stage where I'm waiting for my interview - how long did it generally take for people to be contacted? I hear you on finding the process a little daunting!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I've been lurking here all here but I haven't posted, we filed in February and I'm now at the stage where I'm waiting for my interview - how long did it generally take for people to be contacted? I hear you on finding the process a little daunting!

Hi there,

You haven't completed your timeline... so have you already received your approval from USCIS (your NOA2)?... and documents sent to the NZ embassy?

Its easier to track and make comments if you complete your timeline..

Cheers,

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

It's great to find this thread for NZers smile.png

We're going through the K1 process and just received our NOA2 last week, so waiting for Packet 3 to arrive next..

Meanwhile we're gathering more evidence of our relationship between NOA1 and NOA2, and had a peek through the forms that I am to fill out come Packet 3.

Just a question: is it recommended to track down our case number when it arrives at NVC so that I can book my medical ASAP? I'm not sure what the waiting times are like here for booking the medical checkups in Auckland. My fiance and I just thought that it should be OK to wait for packet 3 to arrive and I can just book at that time.

AOS from K1

Feb 24 2014 - Mailed off AOS packet (i-485 & i-765)

Feb 28 2014 - AOS Packet received in Chicago

Mar 04 2014 - NOA1 notification via text message and email

Mar 07 2014 - Received hardcopy NOA1 via mail

Mar 12 2014 - Received letter for Biometrics appointment set for March 28, 2014

Mar 28 2014 - Biometrics appointment - In and out in 15 minutes!

May 01 2014 - Case status change - Interview set to be on June 4th

May 03 2014 - Received letter for Interview date and time

May 06 2014 - EAD case status changed - card/document production! :D

May 09 2014 - Received tracking number for EAD card

May 12 2014 - EAD card received!

Jun 04 2014 - AOS Interview

Jun 23 2014 - EAD case status changed - card/document production! Also received tracking number for GC! :D

ROC

Mar 28 2016 - Mailed off ROC packet (i-751)

Mar 29 2016 - ROC packet received at CSC

Apr 01 2016 - Received hardcopy of NOA1 via mail

Apr 22 2016 - Walk-in early Biometrics

Oct 28 2016 - Case Status changed to "New Card is Being Produced" :D

Nov 5 2016 - Received new GC in mail!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

So I was browsing through the forum and found this, nice to see a thread for Kiwis some days I feel like the only one going through this process which for myself and fiancé has been a long one. Hopefully it comes to an end soon VSC have had our RFE since FEB and he finally got a letter a few weeks ago to say they will have a decision for us August 18th cannot figure that out as its a Sunday there but oh well fingers crossed. Good luck to all who are going through the process, the things we do for true love heart.gif

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.