rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

Ivanna, i'm so sorry but please stand strong... this is when you need to be! ;) Firstly, what is the primary reason for the denial? Did you not send the divorce decree??? In MA we have a 120 wait after a divorce is finalized and before you can receive your decree of absolute. Is it something like this? Or, were the past convictions not mentioned on the initial forms so you're dealing with misrepresentation or IMBRA issues??? Is this checklist exactly what the slip of paper he got says??? Is there a specific reason for inadmissabiity???

Here is the link for the waiver.

Give them everything they are asking for as soon as possible. Try not to let them send your case back to uscis... it will just get lost in a black hole if that happens! If you can afford to hire an attorney familiar with AUK then do so. Take a deep breath... you'll get through this! ;) I-601's are actually very common and there is tons of information about them online. I'm just curious why you couldn't just supply them with the right divorce paperwork ...perhaps the convictions??? Please keep us posted. I'll be happy to help any way that I can.

Justine, just do not leave the Country until you have AP (advanced parole) or your temp green card! They wont let you back in. ;)

i sent the divorce papers the court sent me..guess they weren't certified..as for his convictions they were over 15 yrs ago and he hasnt been in trouble since..ithink its all because of that personally..having to do the I601 , and it being sent to babgkok ..is whats getting us.. as for writing a hrdship letter, i have no idea what that is or how to ask for an extentin of our fiance visa..i email them and they asked me to call "her" pesonally so we'll see...i'm tying to strong but i feel like my body is here and the rest of me is lost... gone... i seriously thinking of going to nz till this is over.. i cant take it we've been apart to long...ty kim any help would be great

Check out the forum here on VJ Ivannna, from the main page, headed waivers:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=113

There is a lot of info in there on what they are and how to do them..and Kim gave you a link that seems quite good to, so be sure you have a look.

I am sure you are pretty upset right now...but you have our support and you are not alone with this ..sending hugs and positive thoughts (F)

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Ivanna, i'm so sorry but please stand strong... this is when you need to be! ;) Firstly, what is the primary reason for the denial? Did you not send the divorce decree??? In MA we have a 120 wait after a divorce is finalized and before you can receive your decree of absolute. Is it something like this? Or, were the past convictions not mentioned on the initial forms so you're dealing with misrepresentation or IMBRA issues??? Is this checklist exactly what the slip of paper he got says??? Is there a specific reason for inadmissabiity???

Give them everything they are asking for as soon as possible. Try not to let them send your case back to uscis... it will just get lost in a black hole if that happens! If you can afford to hire an attorney familiar with AUK then do so. Take a deep breath... you'll get through this! ;) I-601's are actually very common and there is tons of information about them online. I'm just curious why you couldn't just supply them with the right divorce paperwork ...perhaps the convictions??? Please keep us posted. I'll be happy to help any way that I can.

Justine, just do not leave the Country until you have AP (advanced parole) or your temp green card! They wont let you back in. ;)

i sent the divorce papers the court sent me..guess they weren't certified..as for his convictions they were over 15 yrs ago and he hasnt been in trouble since..ithink its all because of that personally..having to do the I601 , and it being sent to babgkok ..is whats getting us.. as for writing a hrdship letter, i have no idea what that is or how to ask for an extentin of our fiance visa..i email them and they asked me to call "her" pesonally so we'll see...i'm tying to strong but i feel like my body is here and the rest of me is lost... gone... i seriously thinking of going to nz till this is over.. i cant take it we've been apart to long...ty kim any help would be great

There is a lot of info in there on what they are and how to do them..and Kim gave you a link that seems quite good to, so be sure you have a look.

I am sure you are pretty upset right now...but you have our support and you are not alone with this ..sending hugs and positive thoughts (F)

thank you so much for this.. this has been a great help!!!! so all this was really a DENIAL... I CANT BELIEVE IT..THIS CANT BE THE END?

thank you so much for this.. this has been a great help!!!! so all this was really a DENIAL... I CANT BELIEVE IT..THIS CANT BE THE END?

Did you call the person at the consulate?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

yes, no damn answer , been calling 20 times i think..lol

yes, no damn answer , been calling 20 times i think..lol

*ack*...keep at her...she has to pick up sometime!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Awww Congratulations LisaandTim! Have a wonderful celebration!

Ivanna, it does sound like the convictions could be the problem. You need to disclose any convictions...no matter how long ago they were. :(

A certified copy of the divorce decree (or decree of absolute) can be ordered through the County in which the divorce was granted. Usually less than $20.

Bangkok has juristiction over NZ for these matters so being sent there is normal. Here is a link explaining more. https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...r.statecode=abk

Be glad it's NZ you are dealing with as i'm sure they will be as helpful as they can. ;)

Here is a VJ link describing the issues when you have an alien fiance with a criminal record.

Also Immigrate2us.net is probably the best resource on the web with regards to the I-601 waiver. You will find by scrolling down that they are very common and, more importantly, very often overcome!!! ;)

The hardship letters are just to explain why you need to be together in the US. Just explain your relationship, how having him here in the US and being married will effect your lives. Do you have family here? A good job here? Things like that. There are some examples of it here but I think you'll find them pertaining to spousal visa's more than fiance visas. I'll see if I can't find some examples for you later today.

Now, about you... if you can afford to go to NZ as you await this i'm sure it will be a lot easier for you emotionally. I know it would be for me...been there, done that! ;) I know it's not easy but... it's life. Life's always going to dump on you.... what comes of it now is up to you! This is a bump... sure, it's a big and tragic one... but it's still just a bump.

Some perspective, if I may..... Russell and I knew each other more than 10 years before we filed. We were a couple for over 3 before I was able to file. We were separated for a long, long time because of other issues ...because he was denied entry, he couldn't even visit....it was not easy. Did I make mistakes? Sure. Do I have regrets? Sure. He's been here almost 5 months now and it's as if we were never apart. It's made us stronger, it's made us happier. It's taught us to treasure every moment we have together.

I know it's tough.... but fight back and you will get through this. You are suffering because you love this man THAT much! You have found the person you want to share your life with! Not everybody has that. ;)

Fill out the waiver and provide all the other documents they've asked for asap! Be proactive on your on behalf and fight for your man!

Oh and about the flights over the US for you folks.... don't forget to triple check your departure dates and times!!!! You may remember my darling hubby had to buy another $2000+ one-way ticket because, in his delirium :lol: , he booked the wrong day and didn't know it until he got to the airport! D'OH!

timeline.jpg

:D Now Kim....you made me look...March 3rd..Tuesday coming....right?

Depart TUE 03 MAR 2009

AUCKLAND

Arrive TUE 03 MAR 2009

SAN FRANCISCO

NZ8

DURATION: 12 hours 15 mins

Not valid before 03MAR

Not valid after 03MAR

2 pieces

per person

7:30

PM

10:45

AM

Depart TUE 03 MAR 2009 1:00pm

SAN FRANCISCO

Arrive TUE 03 MAR 2009 9:01pm

WASHINGTON, DULLES

NZ9566

Operated by UNITED AIRLINES

(UA0873)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Depart TUE 03 MAR 2009

AUCKLAND

Arrive TUE 03 MAR 2009

SAN FRANCISCO

NZ8

Not valid before 03MAR

Not valid after 03MAR

2 pieces

per person

PM

AM

SAN FRANCISCO

WASHINGTON, DULLES

NZ9566

(UA0873)

Don't forget the carry on luggage....you can fit alot in that. I took onboard my handbag, and I made it a big one, my laptop, with as much crammed in the case as possible, and a small suitcase on wheels, filled with lighter things and anything fragile i had with me, but still keeping within the kg limit, not that anyone weighed it....lol

Not long to go now....so exciting....... :thumbs:

Our Timeline

AOS

February 23rd 2009 AOS sent in

March 7th 2009 NOA1 Received for EAD & AP

March 9th 2009 NOA1 Received for I-485 & Biometric Apt

March 17th 2009 RFE for Tax & Employment evidence

March 20th 2009 Biometric Apt

March 27th 2009 Sent back RFE

May 7th 2009 Called to give them a rev up!!

June 8th 2009 Still nothing!!!! - put in a service request for EAP & AP

June 10th 2009 Case status finally avaiable online for EAD & AP

June 10th 2009 EAD card production ordered

June 10th 2009 AP approval notice sent

FUNNY WHAT A PHONE CALL WILL DO.......

June 16th 2009 AP Received In mail!!!

June 17th 2009 EAD card production status changed to 17th June

June 19th 2009 EAD Mailed out

June 22nd 2009 EAD Received in mail!!!

July 14th 2009 I-485 finally online and transfered to California!!!!!

July 22nd 2009 Touch

July 31st 2009 Touch

August 3rd 2009 Touch

August 13th 2009 GC Card Production Ordered

August 17th 2009 Received "Welcome to the U.S." letter

August 22nd 2009 Received Green Card in the mail

June 6th 2011 ROC package sent off to VSC

June 13th 2011 NOA1 Letter

July 28th 2011 Biometrics

February 28th 2012 10yr GC Approval Letter

Depart TUE 03 MAR 2009

AUCKLAND

Arrive TUE 03 MAR 2009

SAN FRANCISCO

NZ8

Not valid before 03MAR

Not valid after 03MAR

2 pieces

per person

PM

AM

SAN FRANCISCO

WASHINGTON, DULLES

NZ9566

(UA0873)

Don't forget the carry on luggage....you can fit alot in that. I took onboard my handbag, and I made it a big one, my laptop, with as much crammed in the case as possible, and a small suitcase on wheels, filled with lighter things and anything fragile i had with me, but still keeping within the kg limit, not that anyone weighed it....lol

Not long to go now....so exciting....... :thumbs:

Oh my poor carry on ..lol... would you believe the flatmate has given me, and a wedding present, a set of cups and saucers and sideplates. They were her mothers, and a wedding present in her day. She is just about to turn 102, so they are very old and fragile. I am going to bubble wrap the heck out of them and put them in the carry on. It's a pretty set..called Pastella, all in pastel colours, and each one of the six matches itself an not the other. No pattern, just pale pink, and blue, and green...that will teach me to admire something. ;)

That and the mysterious brown envelope!

They weigh your carry on now, 7kg is the max, I had something like 12kg of carry on and I had to take things out, I wore my extra sweater, stuffed things in my handbag and pockets, got it to like... 9kgs then she waved me through (probably something to do with the tears in my eyes when she asked what I could leave as it was all my jewellery, some ornaments that belonged to my grandmothers and mother).

Anyway, once I got around the corner I just stuff it all back in.

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Timeline

cdneh... :lol: @ you! I know it seems like common sense but Russell and I usually have an over abundance of that and we still messed up. :wacko: It's just such an emotional time. We just don't want to see anyone making the same costly mistake! :lol:

Tuesday! Oh my goodness, you must be sooooo excited!!!

On one of Russell's trips home there were four of us and we max'd out on all of our suitcases and carry-on's... we even had to throw a couple of bags away and paid a substantial amount for extras. We made such a spectacle of ourselves at the airports in AUS and NZ. When he was denied entry he was travelling with only a backpack so he didn't have too much when he finally got home for good. It's surely a much bigger deal moving so far. I don't envy those of you having to do that right now.

ivanna... I know I got you in PM but I think I speak for all of us here when I say that we're all on your side and we'll be routing for you guys until he is home with you. ;)

timeline.jpg

Timeline
does the AP often arrive before the temp green card?

Justine, AP and EAD is your temp work permit and permission to travel before you get your GC. They are free with the cost of AOS ($1010) because they often come before your GC.

You must also take into consideration that once you apply for AOS your status changes from J1 to "pending adjustmet" and so does your 'legal' permission to work in the US and/or travel until you have those documents.

See this link for more info...

timeline.jpg

cdneh... :lol: @ you! I know it seems like common sense but Russell and I usually have an over abundance of that and we still messed up. :wacko: It's just such an emotional time. We just don't want to see anyone making the same costly mistake! :lol:

Tuesday! Oh my goodness, you must be sooooo excited!!!

On one of Russell's trips home there were four of us and we max'd out on all of our suitcases and carry-on's... we even had to throw a couple of bags away and paid a substantial amount for extras. We made such a spectacle of ourselves at the airports in AUS and NZ. When he was denied entry he was travelling with only a backpack so he didn't have too much when he finally got home for good. It's surely a much bigger deal moving so far. I don't envy those of you having to do that right now.

ivanna... I know I got you in PM but I think I speak for all of us here when I say that we're all on your side and we'll be routing for you guys until he is home with you. ;)

Never hurts to double check :lol: I'm getting excited, finally, but a bit tempered by still having stuff to do..not for me, but for the flatmate. She will be on her own here, and some things she has a hard time doing, so trying to get through a long list.

And I agree...Ivannna you have us all behind you :thumbs:

Never hurts to double check :lol: I'm getting excited, finally, but a bit tempered by still having stuff to do..not for me, but for the flatmate. She will be on her own here, and some things she has a hard time doing, so trying to get through a long list.

And I agree...Ivannna you have us all behind you :thumbs:

woo hoo!! only two days to go for you!! :thumbs::star:

Finally, i feel like i am making progress. Inside the house echos when i talk, so that is a good sign eh? :)

I haven't got that excited feeling yet, (too busy sorting out everything) but I am sure by wednesday it will well and truly be

here! ;)

And just a question about when you hand the package over at POE. Is there anything that they are suppose to give back to you when they go through the package? I'm pretty sure there isn't but just want to double check. And also, we don't have to ask where they are sending the contents of the package to anymore as it all gets sent to chicago or somewhere? Is that right?

Michelle: hope all goes well and you can get away around 14th March

Ivanna: As Kim and cdneh said: we are all here for you!! *hugs* (L)

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Welll I haven't got a whole house, I flat, but I dropped a book in there last night and practically deafened myself ;)

I don't think they give you anything back, and I think I am going to ask where it goes, if they don't say. Someone who has done this will surely let us know!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.