rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

hehe i'm thinking of those small goals, 3-4 weeks to the NOA1, then maybe 4 months to the NOA2, then another 2-3 months for it all to be sent back here to the consulate, then what another month or two before the interview?

for me, cutting it down to those smaller steps makes it a little easier to bear :P

well, at least that's what i'm telling myself :blush:

695090abmqwhjcu2.gif

K-1 Timeline

08-05-2008 Sent I-129F

08-14-2008 Arrived at Vermont

08-18-2008 Cheque cashed

08-21-2008 NOA1 received

12-10-2008 NOA2 received

12-17-2008 Package sent to Auckland Consulate

12-30-2008 Packet 3 received

01-27-2009 Packet 3 returned

02-03-2009 Packet 4 received

02-10-2009 Intervew - visa approved

03-14-2009 POE Los Angeles

03-25-2009 Married :)

07/22/2009 Work Permit received

ROC

11/18/2011 I-751 packet sent to Vermont

11/25/2011 I-751 packet received at USCIS Vermont

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Yeah, it does help but it's those months between NOA1 and NOA2 that can make you... :wacko: While we were waiting to file it was taking 6+ months because of the influx ...then in January, Vermont was taking less than a month!!! Slowly, the time increased...and now we're going on 4 months of waiting...and this after 3 years of waiting just to file! So yeah... getting a bit much at this point.

The good news is that hopefully with the new staff, new director and perhaps new procedures set up, Vermont will start speeding up again for you folks! I hope so!

timeline.jpg

The good news is that hopefully with the new staff, new director and perhaps new procedures set up, Vermont will start speeding up again for you folks! I hope so!

Are they doing all that??? I hadn't heard! Been out to lunch with the flu..

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Right before the fee increase last year they moved all I-129f's to the two centers (Vermont & California) only. Because they are funded by our petitions, after the influx, they hired and trained many new staff. There is also a new director and we know because of IMBRA and the Adam Walsh Act, there are new database checks. We can only really speculate on how the process will change from here but it seems to be evening out the time it takes at both centers at the very least.

timeline.jpg

I think the wait between NOA1 and NOA2 is the worst part. You can't get any information, you're just stuck waiting in no mans land.

The new CR1 process for NVC is great though, you can be in and out of there in a month since it's all done online. Looking forward to that for my sons application.

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Right before the fee increase last year they moved all I-129f's to the two centers (Vermont & California) only. Because they are funded by our petitions, after the influx, they hired and trained many new staff. There is also a new director and we know because of IMBRA and the Adam Walsh Act, there are new database checks. We can only really speculate on how the process will change from here but it seems to be evening out the time it takes at both centers at the very least.

Aha..I thought (hoped even) it was something they'd just done ;)

I've just come back from our local MedLab. The Canadian government hasn't got records about immunization for anyone my age, they only hang on to those for 25 years. *cough* Well over the time limit to find anything out.

So I went to my Doc, who ordered up a list for the titer test based on the requirements and sent me off. It isn't covered, but all the same I was a bit shocked to find out the cost for that test was 284.00. :blink:

I had it done, I mean really what else can I do. Now I'm wondering how many of those will come back to reflect low or no immunity, and how many of those on the list I'll need again :huh:

Nic and I are on our way to Auckland tomorrow. His interview is on Weds and I am ready to have the interview done with so we know when we can go home. The process sounds like it is a little less overwhelming in NZ and that the ladies are looking to help you. So we are just hoping we have all the info we need as they are processing our I-864 at the same time. Will let you know how it goes.

There are a few people with interviews next week aren't there?

Grant- Chris is in the same mode at the moment re: putting out feelers and figuring out which companies to apply to. Once the visa is in hand, then the real applications start! The best looking job offer (as far as which one will suit Chris best) in a place we can see ourselves living for a few years is the biggest factor in where we will go! Scary and exciting at the same time...

Amaciar- Good luck to you and your partner at the Consulate on Wednesday!! Hopefully the medical certificate will get through quickly so you won't be held up much! Let us know how it goes! We interview next week on the 19th (same day as Grant) and I'm entirely too nervous for my own good. I keep reminding myself we have one of the best Consulates here and things usually go swell, but somehow the cynical side of my brain is not listening! :bonk:

Kim- Oh yes, we will be selling everything possible! Too bad no one here is settling in NZ and looking for things... :whistle: Thankfully, most of our furniture is borrowed from family and such so they'll be getting it all back! Anything else will be sold, lists will be made, books will be packed and stored in Chris' parents house, and anything that doesn't fit in the suitcases will be mailed, because that's cheaper than using a "shipping" company, even if I have to use a ton of tiny packages! And as for VSC, well, with all the "hurry up" brainwaves we're sending their way, you're bound to see something soon!

Michelle- Yay for getting it all sent out!! Here's wishing you a fast, problem free processing time!

Kiwiana- So sorry you had to leave your SO, but I hope things process quickly for you so you'll be back in the US in no time! And yes, the doctor in Remuera, very helpful!

Cdneh- Eh, vaccinations. If Canada is anything like the US I'd assume that they had requirements for certain ones to start school, so you'd have had to have the basic ones automatically. I think for people from places like New Zealand, Canada, UK, etc... should really only have to have the "time limited" ones (like tetanus) given and no antibody tests required because those countries have had rigorous vaccination programs for quite a long time. Sure would make the medical check a little less costly!

"Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground." - Rumi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

cdneh I have the flu as well >_<

A close friend of mine has just received a letter in the mail for hers. She filed in Feburary this year and is finally up to the interview stage. She has about 6 forms to fill out. She needs to get police reports for all the houses she's lived in for over a year O_o And the entire process from her side is going to cost around $1000! That's a lot more than I thought.

Edited by Kelvan

Kelly & Evan

K-1

07-30-08 Sent I-129F

08-01-08 Arrived at CSC

08-08-08 Check cashed

08-12-08 NOA1 sent

08-13-08 Touched!

08-18-08 NOA hard copy

12-17-08 NOA2 sent

01-19-09 Packet 3 sent

01-22-09 Medical

03-19-09 Interview! (both of us attended)

03-19-09 Approved!!!

08-07-09 POE LAX

09-18-09 Married!!!

AOS

10-14-09 Filed AOS

10-22-09 NOA hard copies

10-27-09 Touch

11-17-09 Touch

11-17-09 Transfer notice to CSC

11-23-09 Biometrics appointment

11-24-09 Touch

11-27-09 Touch

12-01-09 Touch

12-03-09 Touch

12-07-09 Work Permit approved!!!

12-21-09 Biometrics fingerprints AGAIN

12-30-09 RFE due to fingerprints being unreadable

01-04-09 Touch

01-26-09 Sent RFE back

02-12-09 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

cdneh: Wow! $284!!! What is the list of vaccines required? Records of my vaccines have long gathered moss and are lying next to dinosaur bones somewhere!! :lol: So i will no doubt have to get all the vaccines that are required by USCIS.

Grant, Yankiwi and Amaciar: What happened when you had your medicals. Was it very long? Did the doctor examine you etc? And what vaccines did you have? Good luck and best wishes to you all for your interviews!! Hope you will let us know how the interview goes and how long it took etc...

Kelvan and Michelle: It's great that your packages have been sent. Hope you receive your NOA1's real FAST!! :yes:

Kim: I think you must be the most patient person on earth!! I take my hat off to you! :thumbs: You have waited for what seems like an eternity!! I know you will get it soon!!! Before you know it, you will be in each others arms again!! :star:

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Grant, Yankiwi and Amaciar: What happened when you had your medicals. Was it very long? Did the doctor examine you etc? And what vaccines did you have? Good luck and best wishes to you all for your interviews!! Hope you will let us know how the interview goes and how long it took etc...

Hi

The medical seemed all too easy. I handed in the forms to the receptionist, and she filled them all in while I went and grabbed a coffee. I then went to see the nurse who talked through the whole process with me. She took my height, weight, lung capacity (using a peak flow metre), blood pressure, gave me a Tetanus booster (for good measure - I couldn't remember having one since I was about 12...so some time ago). She also filled in the blood test forms (for the relevant tests to check for antibodies for my age).

I then went to see the doctor. He ran through the items on the checklist (basically a list of possible illnesses/hospital visits/mental state/drug and alcohol abuse questions). All I had to tick yes to was asthma (when I was a kid). He then drilled me about any "mental" or drug/alcohol issues (of which I have none) - apparently this is a big deal for US immigration, so they have to really pay attention to it.

He then checked my eyesight, and hearing and then checked me for hernias.

I then went off for blood tests (for me this was mumps, chicken pox, measles, rubella, syphillis and HIV) - got the results a couple of days later, and all were as expected.

I then went for a chest x-ray. Got the results and xray back straight away (I then handed them to the doctor). Again all clear with this.

I got a copy of the report in the mail about a week later (the same report sent to the consulate).

All up the costs were as follows (I am now aware that I din't go the the cheapest Dr.):

- Dr. (including tetanus shot, and courier to Consulate) $225

- Blood tests (6 in total) $103

- Chest x-ray $80

Hope this is useful,

Cheers

Grant

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Grant- Chris is in the same mode at the moment re: putting out feelers and figuring out which companies to apply to. Once the visa is in hand, then the real applications start! The best looking job offer (as far as which one will suit Chris best) in a place we can see ourselves living for a few years is the biggest factor in where we will go! Scary and exciting at the same time...

What does Chris do?

Cheers

Grant

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.