rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

Hey all!

Nice to see all the Kiwi/American couples posting! When I joined this site last year there weren't many around so I didn't really get into posting.

I moved to Auckland in June of 2006 so we could live together for a while before applying for a fiancee visa for my partner Chris. But after thinking about it we decided to just get married here and do DCF since there was no huge reason we needed to get married in the States. Of course, after getting new passports sorted out (we both changed our names) the Consulates were not accepting DCF due to the Adam Walsh Law. So we dealt with NZ immigration to try and extend my visitor's permit in hopes that the Consulates would be accepting DCF relatively soon. Well, they did, but because I was on a visitor's permit they decided that wasn't enough, so we had to file with USCIS instead. :angry:

Trying to handle all that paperwork while not actually being present in the US has been an adventure, dealing with NZ immigration on top of that has been even more fun! But, it doesn't matter really because we've been able to stay together here. We really feel for all of you that are processing while living apart. (L) We met online and so spent time apart until I was able to move here, but I'll never forget the feeling of being separated like that.

We just got notification of our interview date, August 19th! :dance: A friend of ours in the States is handling Chris' side of things but she didn't receive any medical forms and we probably won't see my set of forms from NVC for another 3 weeks. I'm debating on whether we need to contact the Consulate for the information on the medical check since we don't have any of those forms and mail between here and the NVC has been anywhere from 3-5 weeks for some odd reason. I've heard some Consulate horror stories but from the reviews I've read of the Auckland one the people there seem to be pretty efficient and helpful for the most part. I hope that's our experience too! *crosses fingers*

Hope everyone is staying warm, or cool, depending on which side of the equator you're reading this from! :P

Cheers!

Tiara

"Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground." - Rumi

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Michelle, your best bet is to write those answers in. There is no way to reformat the form it just adds the + sign. They should really fix that.

Hi Tiara, good to meet you. Congratulations on your interview. Our dealings with the Consulate have been very positive.

It is very hard being apart. I'm sure I don't have to explain to you the euphoria we will feel when we are finally together for good. We should be close now... approval in a week or two and hopefuly an interview within a month. Some have had luck trying to expedite the interview. After 10 months apart we're hoping we're able to move it along as fast as we can.

timeline.jpg

Michelle- We filled them out by hand after I ended up yelling at the program for a bit. :whistle: We ended up filling them out several times until everything fit nicely and legibly, sent them the originals, and kept a photocopied set for ourselves.

Kim- Good to meet you too! I can only imagine what you must be feeling. I hope your approval comes fast and you guys can push up the interview date. It's amazing how much trouble people have to go through to be with the ones they love. No one I know had any clue what all goes into trying to be together when you've fallen in love with someone half a world away. They all assumed as soon as we got married we'd be on the next flight to the US. *snort*

I'm glad I've gotten the chance to live here though (even if we live in constant limbo). NZ is a beautiful country and I think that experiencing leaving everything to come here has made me more aware of just how much Chris will go through moving to the US. I've already found sources in the US for Kiwi food. LOL We'll move back here at some point, just not to Auckland (it reminds me of LA).

I noticed you're an east coast girl, so am I! Although not Boston (really want to visit up there though), I'm from Maryland. My dad was in the military though so I moved like every 3 years. Still want to be back on the east coast, but right now I'll take anywhere Chris finds a good job (since I'll be going to school), so odds are it'll be more like Seattle or San Fransisco area (all the IT jobs).

-Tiara

"Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground." - Rumi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

thanks again guys

and welcome yankiwi, finding this website for me was a godsend, you'll find lots of help here :)

695090abmqwhjcu2.gif

K-1 Timeline

08-05-2008 Sent I-129F

08-14-2008 Arrived at Vermont

08-18-2008 Cheque cashed

08-21-2008 NOA1 received

12-10-2008 NOA2 received

12-17-2008 Package sent to Auckland Consulate

12-30-2008 Packet 3 received

01-27-2009 Packet 3 returned

02-03-2009 Packet 4 received

02-10-2009 Intervew - visa approved

03-14-2009 POE Los Angeles

03-25-2009 Married :)

07/22/2009 Work Permit received

ROC

11/18/2011 I-751 packet sent to Vermont

11/25/2011 I-751 packet received at USCIS Vermont

Our interview for me is August 19th as well.

8.30am for me.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant!

9 am for us! We're sure to run into each other since I hear sometimes the process can take a few hours (or at least their notice said so). Since I'm here in NZ we'll both be at the interview. How exciting! I'm biting my nails already... :P

You did DCF, right? I'm assuming you went in person to file, how was the Consulate? Does getting through security take very long?

Cheers!

Tiara

Timeline

I'm born and raised in Leominster, MA. It's about an hour (40 miles) north west of Boston. I own the home my mom grew up in and my family all live within miles. We spend a lot of time together ...which is why Russell is moving here. Of course, we've known each other for 10 years and Russell has always been aware that I wouldn't want to leave here... right now anyway. I do agree tho, NZ is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Especially where he is... (opotiki)... his parents own some seaside maori land in whangarua bay as well. We'll be back as often as possible. Just a shame it's so far away. I'm actually in the IT field too but I work for myself. Small world.

How neat you guys will meet up. Gee if we're approved this week perhaps we can get that Aug 19th date too! Let them know we're coming! :lol:

timeline.jpg

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Our interview for me is August 19th as well.

8.30am for me.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant!

9 am for us! We're sure to run into each other since I hear sometimes the process can take a few hours (or at least their notice said so). Since I'm here in NZ we'll both be at the interview. How exciting! I'm biting my nails already... :P

You did DCF, right? I'm assuming you went in person to file, how was the Consulate? Does getting through security take very long?

Cheers!

Tiara

Hi Tiara

Cool - we will run into each other definately. You can listen to all my interview answers at the Consulate (the interviews don't appear to be the most private thing in the world). My wife (the USC) may not be there, as we have a young baby (Clay), and it may be easier if we do not bring him (less stress and all that). Although we are umm'ing and ahh'ing whether she comes. The lady in the Consulate said there was no need for her to be there if it was easier for her to stay home and look after Clay.

Yes - we went the DCF route. We are pretty experienced with the Consulate now, as we have been there a few times to register our two kids as US Citizens, get them passports etc. We filed in person for my immigration Visa (just showed up with the paperwork, and the Consulate staff were brilliant).

Security is easy and quick. They just make sure you are there for legitimate reasons, xray your bags etc, take your keys and cellphones off you, and let you in. There is sometimes a queue, but you won't wait longer than a few minutes even then. 9 am is probably the busiest time, so you may want to get there 15 minutes early.

Cheers

Grant

Hey everyone! Wow, lots of news and updates for everyone.

Kim and Russ, I hope you guys hear soon. Kel, how'd everything go for you with the house? For those about to be interviewed, GOOD LUCK! We are very lucky in NZ. Our Consulate people are awesome! :)

For my part, I'm wandering around my house trying to figure out how to fit everything in 2 suitcases. I have to figure it out quick, cos we're flying out August 10th! I don't know who's more excited ... me, Jeremy or the kids! LOL. :dance:

Timeline

Wow Tracey, how exciting for your family!!! Good luck trying to fit everything! I'll never forget moving Russell here with all his things in 2006... we had already been in AUS for a couple months and were on our way to NZ for a while. We had the kids with us as well and about 10 suitcases/duffle bags just full of stuff. A few bags were over in weight and we had one too many so we were in the middle of the airport re-arranging everything and weighing each one right up to the ounce. :lol: Happened to us again on our way out of NZ ...we decided to just pay all the extra fees that time! :lol:

timeline.jpg

August 10th! That's not far away at all, congrats, it's finally happening for you. Good luck for the trip and don't forget to post after you've arrived.

On my last visit over I took a suitcase filled with clothes I knew I wouldn't be needing, I'm thinking that I'm going to have too much for two suitcases still though. Erk. Kim - do you have any info on the extra baggage charges? I'd read somewhere they charged per suitcase, do you know if that's true?

I'll second that about the consulate, I think we're very lucky in NZ compared to a lot of other countries. I wasn't even asked to show any of the evidence that I brought in and the interview was pretty painless as I stood at the counter. They really are there to help us through the process.

My update - house still under conditional contract, 5 more working days till it's uncondiitional (dependant on a builders report).

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi all,

Just thought I would touch base to let you know that I went and had my biometrics taken a couple of days ago. All went well. Now just waiting for my Work Authorization to come through and for the AOS process to roll on.

Hope all your journeys are going along fine.

Cheers,

Mark

18 September 2007: I-129F Sent to CSC

26 September 2007: I-129F NOA1

20 February 2008: Touch

21 February 2008: Touch

5 March 2008: I-129F NOA2

15 March 2008: NVC received

18 March 2008: NVC forwarded to Auckland

26 March 2008: Packet 3 Received

14 April 2008: Packet 3 Sent

18 April 2008: Packet 4 Received

29 April 2008: Interview Date

3 May 2008: Visa Received

28 May 2008: US Entry

28 June 2008: Wedding Day!!!!

30 June 2008: AOS/EAD documents sent to Chicago Lock Box

7 July 2008: NOA1 for AOS & EAD documents

15 July 2008: Biometrics Appointment

3 September 2008: EAD Approved and Card Production Ordered

15 September 2008: EAD Card Received

16 September 2008: AOS Approved and Green Card Production Ordered

26 September 2008: Green Card received

Timeline

Kel.. I think they charge you over the first 2 allowed at a certain kg. Each airline is different. Here's some links Russell got for me last night...

Qantas

Air NZ

Mark, nice to see you checking in. :) Congratulations on getting the AOS going. Do keep us posted.

timeline.jpg

Hi Tiara

Cool - we will run into each other definately. You can listen to all my interview answers at the Consulate (the interviews don't appear to be the most private thing in the world). My wife (the USC) may not be there, as we have a young baby (Clay), and it may be easier if we do not bring him (less stress and all that). Although we are umm'ing and ahh'ing whether she comes. The lady in the Consulate said there was no need for her to be there if it was easier for her to stay home and look after Clay.

Yes - we went the DCF route. We are pretty experienced with the Consulate now, as we have been there a few times to register our two kids as US Citizens, get them passports etc. We filed in person for my immigration Visa (just showed up with the paperwork, and the Consulate staff were brilliant).

Security is easy and quick. They just make sure you are there for legitimate reasons, xray your bags etc, take your keys and cellphones off you, and let you in. There is sometimes a queue, but you won't wait longer than a few minutes even then. 9 am is probably the busiest time, so you may want to get there 15 minutes early.

Cheers

Grant

Hey Grant,

Ah yes, I've read that interviews are just done at a window, so that should be interesting. Thankfully in NZ we don't have to deal with some of the problems I've read about at other Consulates in regards to styles of questions that are asked.

If we had a baby I'd be inclined to stay home as well, but would probably feel torn about it. I'm sure you'll both make the right decision when the day comes, sometimes these things are best decided in the spur of the moment!

I'm glad to hear security isn't too much hassle. We live over on the North Shore so we'll have to head across the bridge before morning traffic (6:30-7am...meh) so we'll find a cafe to chill at for a bit and then head to the Consulate. Plus, I'm all too familiar with the odd things that tend to spring up when you've got an important appointment to make, so we'll be there early. LOL

Cheers,

Tiara

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.