rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

Hello cdneh. :) When do you plan on filing?

Next week! I've been waiting on divorce paperwork...but I've got that now :)

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi GnomeGrrrl sorry to hear that your medical was so expensive!

Wondering if you and emma can let us know which doctors you went to etc. That way I can make sure to go to the cheaper one! :D

Sounds like you're nearly all done though, that must be a relief.

We went to CityMed in Auckland. The medical itself was $180, $31 for bloods and $80 for the X-ray.

We had our interview the day after the medical, so we expected a delay - just not as long as it has been! The doctor was excessively thorough. As well as the usual heart lungs, blood pressure etc, we had our eyes checked and she pretty much looked at every crevice. I had a breast exam and all three of us had to drop our pants so she could look at our bits. With me, she even looked for scars so she could satisfy herself that I'd had the operations I'd said I had, as if I'd lie about that! We had to have quite a chunk of jabs despite the fact that I'd provided evidence that we were current with all but tetanus. I honestly think the doctor has you by the proverbial short and curlys. If they say you need to have the vaccinations, you can't exactly argue the point. You also can't really argue with the fact that the doctor gets the nurse to give them to you and you're charged an extra $20 (each) for the nurses injection fee. :blink:

The ultimate hold up was that my youngest (my sons are 16 and 17) had had mental health problems in the past, so they insisted on getting a letter from Invercargill, which was fine. Except for the fact that it took CityMed 2 weeks to send the request (which was actually for his entire medical file) and over a week to look at it once they had it. We talked to her last on Thursday and she said she was signing off on it that day. I'll be calling on Monday to make sure she has, but I'm not really liking the odds after the experience so far.

The good news is that my interview was a dream and I have nothing but good things to say about that experience - well, except for finding the fact that the actual interview was conducted in the main area at one of the little windows more than a little bizarre. LOL.

That part lasted a grand total of 10 minutes and most of that was the signing of papers and getting fingerprints that hadn't come out clearly at the first window. I was asked 2 questions (how long had hubby lived in NZ and did I intend to work in the US) and that was that. I offered and started pulling out the evidence I'd brought along and he didn't want to know. Apparently if you can put up with someone for 9 years, it's proof enough that you're not in it for the green card. :whistle:

FYI: We filed last March and because I've put up with him so long, it's straight to IR-1.

Ooooh you're in the boat with me! :lol:

Mine is final on April 14th. We file on the 15! :)

Are you filing with Vermont?

We are! Once I box up this stack of paper and post it Monday, and it gets to him in about 8-10 days time...we could be filing on the same day!

Great to have company in the boat! :)

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Wow. Looks like things are really happening for all the Kiwi's and families!

Justine - great news about your interview, July isn't far away at all. Congrats.

Not long now for you either Kim, hopefully yours and cdneh's applications will fly through processing.

And Gnomegrrl, thanks so much for the information. It's great to read other peoples experiences when you're going to be heading down that same track.

As for me, still waiting for NVC, hopefully I'm nearly at the halfway point there, praying for an August interview. But the good news is that at the end of the month I get to fly out to the US for three weeks. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that they let me through the POE!

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Hi GnomeGrrrl sorry to hear that your medical was so expensive!

Wondering if you and emma can let us know which doctors you went to etc. That way I can make sure to go to the cheaper one! :D

Sounds like you're nearly all done though, that must be a relief.

We went to CityMed in Auckland. The medical itself was $180, $31 for bloods and $80 for the X-ray.

We had our interview the day after the medical, so we expected a delay - just not as long as it has been! The doctor was excessively thorough. As well as the usual heart lungs, blood pressure etc, we had our eyes checked and she pretty much looked at every crevice. I had a breast exam and all three of us had to drop our pants so she could look at our bits. With me, she even looked for scars so she could satisfy herself that I'd had the operations I'd said I had, as if I'd lie about that! We had to have quite a chunk of jabs despite the fact that I'd provided evidence that we were current with all but tetanus. I honestly think the doctor has you by the proverbial short and curlys. If they say you need to have the vaccinations, you can't exactly argue the point. You also can't really argue with the fact that the doctor gets the nurse to give them to you and you're charged an extra $20 (each) for the nurses injection fee. :blink:

The ultimate hold up was that my youngest (my sons are 16 and 17) had had mental health problems in the past, so they insisted on getting a letter from Invercargill, which was fine. Except for the fact that it took CityMed 2 weeks to send the request (which was actually for his entire medical file) and over a week to look at it once they had it. We talked to her last on Thursday and she said she was signing off on it that day. I'll be calling on Monday to make sure she has, but I'm not really liking the odds after the experience so far.

The good news is that my interview was a dream and I have nothing but good things to say about that experience - well, except for finding the fact that the actual interview was conducted in the main area at one of the little windows more than a little bizarre. LOL.

That part lasted a grand total of 10 minutes and most of that was the signing of papers and getting fingerprints that hadn't come out clearly at the first window. I was asked 2 questions (how long had hubby lived in NZ and did I intend to work in the US) and that was that. I offered and started pulling out the evidence I'd brought along and he didn't want to know. Apparently if you can put up with someone for 9 years, it's proof enough that you're not in it for the green card. :whistle:

FYI: We filed last March and because I've put up with him so long, it's straight to IR-1.

WOW sounds like you had it rough with the medical, Actually I was thinking of going to CityMed, but ended up going to Dr Marcus Stone in Remuera instead, he was really nice & so was the nurse. He didn't check my eyes, breasts or to see that I definately was a girl.... but i'm glad that you had a good experience at the interview, mine is on the 17th so i'm getting a little nervous!

And sure enough ... our medicals still haven't gone to the Consulate.

:(

That's terrible. Very sorry to hear that. I don't understand what's taking them so long, surely it shouldn't take much to get your results across to the Consulate.

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Emma, no need to be nervous! I'm sure you're well prepared! :thumbs:

Gnomegrrl... so sorry they're taking so long! :( I guess we know who not to see for medicals! :angry:

One week and counting over here! Guess I better get this packet together! :o

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Gnomegirl... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How exciting for you! Hope your house sells quick!

cdneh... are your papers here in the US yet?

Mark, are you home in NZ yet??

How are you other folks doing?

K, so I have a couple questions for you guys...

1.) what does the NZ consulate ask for in regards to the affidavit of support? I'm self employed (build, design, maintain websites, fix computers, tech support...etc). I'm always busy but I work for a lot of different people and my income varies greatly from week to week...and ummm I only claim what I have to...and therein lies my issue. ;) I do have a couple company's I work for daily who pay me with company checks (no paystubs..but I can get copies of my cashed checks from that employers bank if I need to). This is only about 10-20,000 a year but it's money I have to claim, therefore it's on my tax returns the last three years. I know that is not enough for a family of 4 but I also receive child support that was ordered by the court last December. That, in itself, is about $10,000 more than what is needed for a family of 4 so I know i'm set as long as I include that. But i'm wondering if they have specific policies regarding the affidavit of support and what is needed.

I'm thinking i'll make copies of my checks each week or maybe wait till they're cashed and get them from the employers bank(?), include at least one employer letter proving about 15,000 of my annual income, my court papers ordering child support...bank statements showing the money is going into the account bi-weekly... tax returns from 2 or 3 years? Anything else?

2.) i'd like to know if your visa's are available for pick up two days after you are approved as has been the case with most (here anyway) that have gone through Auckland?

Still waiting on a call back from the registrar of deeds to confirm that I can pick up my divorce decree on Tuesday as he previously stated. I will not be happy if we are made to wait any longer due to even mnore bureaucracy!!!

timeline.jpg

Gnomegirl... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How exciting for you! Hope your house sells quick!

cdneh... are your papers here in the US yet?

Mark, are you home in NZ yet??

How are you other folks doing?

K, so I have a couple questions for you guys...

1.) what does the NZ consulate ask for in regards to the affidavit of support? I'm self employed (build, design, maintain websites, fix computers, tech support...etc). I'm always busy but I work for a lot of different people and my income varies greatly from week to week...and ummm I only claim what I have to...and therein lies my issue. ;) I do have a couple company's I work for daily who pay me with company checks (no paystubs..but I can get copies of my cashed checks from that employers bank if I need to). This is only about 10-20,000 a year but it's money I have to claim, therefore it's on my tax returns the last three years. I know that is not enough for a family of 4 but I also receive child support that was ordered by the court last December. That, in itself, is about $10,000 more than what is needed for a family of 4 so I know i'm set as long as I include that. But i'm wondering if they have specific policies regarding the affidavit of support and what is needed.

I'm thinking i'll make copies of my checks each week or maybe wait till they're cashed and get them from the employers bank(?), include at least one employer letter proving about 15,000 of my annual income, my court papers ordering child support...bank statements showing the money is going into the account bi-weekly... tax returns from 2 or 3 years? Anything else?

2.) i'd like to know if your visa's are available for pick up two days after you are approved as has been the case with most (here anyway) that have gone through Auckland?

Still waiting on a call back from the registrar of deeds to confirm that I can pick up my divorce decree on Tuesday as he previously stated. I will not be happy if we are made to wait any longer due to even mnore bureaucracy!!!

Thanks Kim! I hope so too!

As for your questions, you'll have to file the Affidavit in the US, so the standard rules apply. The only thing I was asked for in regards to that was to take one of hubby's recent pay slip to the Consulate interview.

I'm not sure on the pick up thing. We weren't given the option, but perhaps that was because of the fact that our medicals weren't back and we lived so far away from Auckland.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

hi everyone!

good to hear things are moving along for all here.

had my interview a little while back, for the work USA program - all went well. they needed an exact date of arrival in the US before they could proceed with the visa paperwork, so over about two days i figured out when i could go... so now the ticket is booked! paid for! i'm arriving in the states on july 10!

feels so great to have a concrete date to work towards; it's been hard not knowing when i'd be going over. so the paperwork is just beginning but i'm not anticipating any problems. the hardest part will be getting rid of all my stuff.

mum and dad came through with air points to pay for all my domestic flights, so the trip back to new plymouth, the interview at the consulate and the connecting flight to auckland before i fly out, are all taken care of (saving me quite a bit of money). finances are looking good, barring any disaster happening.

sadly, i'm arriving at the worst time of the year - it's jordan's busiest time at work, and just a few weeks after i get there he has to leave for week for work :( so he won't be able to take much time off work, probably only a couple of days, but i'm at the point where i don't care - i'll just be happy that i'll at least be waiting for him when he gets home each day (OMG IN HIS HOUSE, HIS ACTUAL HOUSE, NOT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF A COMPUTER SCREEN!).

07-10-2008 entered US on J-1 visa

01-01-2009 officially engaged

04-06-2009 married

04-25-2009 filed AOS

05-22-2009 biometrics appointment

06-05-2009 EAD received

06-17-2009 NOA2 received

07-30-2009 interview- recommended for approval! GC expected in 1-2 months

10-21-2009 received NOA for the I-130: "your petition is approved but... the applicant for whom you are petitioning is not eligible to file for an adjustment of status at this time". still no GC :(

11-18-2009 welcome letter received!

12-01-2009 green card received!

september 2011 filed for removal of conditions

october 2011 biometrics appointment

december 2011 RFE received

january 2011 sent in RFE packet

february 2011 conditions lifted, 10 year green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.