mrssmith

The journey begins.....

2 posts in this topic

So i have posted both I-130's (Mine and daughters) today to the US embassy in London... Now the waiting begins. Just spoke with Aunty in New jersey and told her our plans and she has been very supportive and made me even more excited!!!

We have decided to take not a great deal with us due to costing too much to ship so i look around me and not know where to go from here? Where do i start?

Anyone got any good removal companys to recommend, we are going from the Midlands to Portland Oregon?

i've sent off for Police clearance and given MIL affadavit of support to look through and start completing.

Got to make appointment at Docs to get immunisation records for me and DD.

Anyone else what else i should be doing now whilst waiting except going mad?

Sounds like you are pretty much covered... if you haven't had an MMR or Tetnus vaccination in a while, those are the ones you'll most likely need as an adult before the medical. I had those two done for free at my GP's a week before my medical, if you wait until the medical they charge you £20-30 for each one.

Waiting for the I-130 approval is the longest part, after you have the approval for that it can all be done pretty quickly, I got the medical appointment for one week after calling. Good job for getting the police certificate out of the way, I didn't do that (as we were planning to move in Sept this year) and now we're in more of a rush to move at the end of March so I have to wait for that to come back before I can get my final interview.

Good luck!

Edit:

Oh, and look around and only take things you can't bear to live without. Sadly, with most stuff it would cost more to ship than to buy it new again in the US. So we're only taking things that aren't replaceable, and stuff like UK DVD's that you can't get in the US. Everything else is being peared down to a minimum...I currently have bags and bags of clothes that will be going to charity (and lots more to do), a bunch of paper to recycle and everything else that isn't being sold or given away is going down the dump. We're taking no furniture with us. A quote we got from www.shipit.co.uk for 2 cubic metres was about £650 plus some fees. We've not got any other quotes yet, so I'm not sure how reasonable that is or not, but I think we can probably fit our shippable stuff into 2 cubic metres and everything else will go in the suitcases to go on the plane with us.

Edited by ladyynara

---------------------------------------

14/Jul/97 - Met Rick in UK

04/Nov/97 - Travelled to US on visitors visa

01/Jan/98 - Married in US

1998 - 2000 - Long process with Immigration obtaining Green Card #1.

20/May/2003 - Left US for UK

11/Feb/2004 - Child #1 born

14/Jul/2005 - Child #2 born

August 2007 - Decide we need to move back to USA. Kicking self for not getting citizenship.

24/Sep/2007 - I-130 sent

28/Sep/2007 - I-130 NOA1

12/Dec/2007 - I-130 Approved

11/Jan/2008 - Police Certificate applied for

11/Jan/2008 - DS-230 part 1 sent off

14/Jan/2008 - Medical booked for Jan 21st

21/Jan/2008 - Medical in London - all clear!

24/Jan/2008 - Statement of readiness sent to embassy

09/Feb/2008 - Police clearance arrived

14/Mar/2008 - Interview at 9am!! APPROVED!

18/Mar/2008 - Visa arrived!

22/Mar/2008 - Being made homeless!

23/Mar/2008 - Flight to USA!!

12/Apr/2008 - Greencard arrived!

Done with immigration until I can apply for citizenship in 2011.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.