catfrances

Passport and detail changes if British and in the USA

6 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hey All,

I see many people change their names in their passport in the USA once they are married, but, will i be allowed to travel with my old name in my passport or is it vital I change it before travel outside the USA.

I don't want to get stuck and not allowed back in the USA.

Has anyone seen any threads on changing all your details if a British female and married in America to an American?

Thanks all. x

Dates as follow, (not legal advise)....

Met my partner - Jan 22nd 05
Got engaged - May 6th 06

Sent I-129F to Nebreska - Feb 21st -07
NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Applied for my police record - June 4th -07
Pack 3 arrived!!! - June 21st -07
Police record(37 days)! - July 11th -07
Posted pack 3 back via signed for, next day delivery - July 25th -07
Medical - August 2nd -07
Apparently pack 3 was today signed for after going into a PO Box! - Aug 3rd -07 (9 days late)

So far 21 weeks

Pack 4 turned up! Interview end of August! - August 9th 07

Interview - 31st Aug 07 -Approved!!
27 weeks and 3 days from start to interview

As long as your passport matches the name you used to complete your AOS/AP forms. So if you do not want to change your passport yet, apply for AOS in your maiden name and you could change all your documents later. Or if you change your passport right after you marry or while your AOS is in process, use your new name.

Others may have experienced they had no problems if passport was in maiden and AOS/AP was in married name since they brought their marriage certificate with them, but I'm sure it is much easier and you avoid hassle if everything is in the same name.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

So being in the US and changing your passport to your married name would involve you sending the passport back to the UK - do you need it for AOS at all or can you just file in your married name and send your passport off at the same time? I mean you can't go anywhere anyway until you have AP so... :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

You could continue to use your passport in your maiden name as long as you book any flight tickets in your maiden name and take your marriage certificate with you when you fly. You can use your married name on your AOS forms that is not a problem.

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

So being in the US and changing your passport to your married name would involve you sending the passport back to the UK - do you need it for AOS at all or can you just file in your married name and send your passport off at the same time? I mean you can't go anywhere anyway until you have AP so... :D

No you can send it to the embassy in Washington. You only need a copy for AOS, you don't actually send it in with your application - though you will need it for biometrics. Exactly, you can't go anywhere anyways - so to me it is the perfect opportunity to get it done.

Once you do get married, get a few extra certified copies of the marriage certificate. We ended up with 5 (really we wanted 3). But it made it so much easier - we sent one of for my passport, USC, one with AOS and then we have one we can show - like for DMV, etc. This way you aren't stressing to receive a copy back.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: Timeline

I changed my passport just after we got married.... they return your old passport with the new one so you can take both to your AOS interview... it is much better to have your passport in the same name as your other ID/Greencard... It only took 2 weeks to get the new passport from the Washington Consulate and I filed for AOS in my married name as advised by the local USCIS office.... if you file in your maiden name and want it amended after you have been approved for AOS then you have to file form I-90 and pay $$$ to get a new greencard in your married name, so file from the start in the name you want to use....

Kez

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.