Jmaster911

SSN

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have applied for my SSN on my DS-230 and am traveling to the US on the 29th. I'm interested to know what people think on which is quicker.

a. Applying for your SSN on your DS-230

b. Apply in person once your in the country

I am keen to get mine as quick as possible to enable me to get some joint credit for a car (I have a large down payment and just wanted one of those small loans and pay it all back in six months to kick start my credit history)

Also if I have applied on my DS-230 and walking in is quicker, can I cancel the application made on the DS-230 when I enter at the POE or could I just apply in person and the DS-230 application would be cancelled as there is two applications in the system??

Edited by Jmaster911

Our DCF Timeline

============

12/8/07 - Applied for Police Certs

14/8/07 - Police confirmed receipt

20/8/07 - Posted I-130 to London

25/8/07 - I-130 Returned asking for copy of Andrea's student visa and more proof that we live in the UK !!!

25/8/07 - Posted I-130 Back to Embassy In London (1st class recorded delivery) with copy of Student Visa and copy of Council Tax Bill

29/8/07 - Received E-mail (assume it is NOA1) confirming filing date of 29th Aug 2007 - YAY :)

30/8/07 - Money debited from our Credit Card

01/09/07 - The waiting begins :)

14/9/07 - Police Records Returned

1/11/07 - A company that interviewed me has offered the services of an immigration lawyer

7/11/07 - Immigration lawyer files my DS-230 and Notice of Readiness

8/11/07 - Embassy requests further information proving a viable marriage (if anybody hasn't yet filed their I-130, I would advise that you send the following with the I-130.

1) A affidavit from the petitioner detailing their relationship, how it started, developed, etc, etc

2) An affidavit from three people who know you both

3) Past emails, flight bookings, Pics, Dinner receipts, phone bills, etc, etc

12/11/07 - Send all the above back to Lawyer in London

26/11/07 - Lawyer got a case number and I have booked my Medical, I-130 STILL Not Approved

26/11/07 - Got the official offer letter from the US based company - YAY

27/11/07 - It official, the idiots at the USCIS have lost the RFE parcel - grrrrrrr

28/11/07 - RFE resubmitted

3/12/07 - I-130 APPROVED (NOA2)

4/12/07 - Medical

13/12/07 - Interview - APPROVED :)

29/12/07 - Arrived in Philli

I have applied for my SSN on my DS-230 and am traveling to the US on the 29th. I'm interested to know what people think on which is quicker.

a. Applying for your SSN on your DS-230

b. Apply in person once your in the country

I am keen to get mine as quick as possible to enable me to get some joint credit for a car (I have a large down payment and just wanted one of those small loans and pay it all back in six months to kick start my credit history)

Also if I have applied on my DS-230 and walking in is quicker, can I cancel the application made on the DS-230 when I enter at the POE or could I just apply in person and the DS-230 application would be cancelled as there is two applications in the system??

In theory, it should be quicker by applying on the DS-230. That said, going on other posts around here, only about half of the people who apply for the SSN on their DS-230 end up receiving it at the moment. I, for instance, didn't receive my SSN through the post as I should have, so I ended up having to go in person. There's quite a few threads about that and also the wait for the Green Card (that's taking about 7 weeks at the moment) so you might want to check those out.

As for going in person. You'll only be able do that if you are 'Saved' in the system. In basic terms, it means you're best giving the SSA a week or two before you'd be recognised on their computers.

If I were you, I'd leave it as it is. I don't think you'd be able to cancel the DS-230 on POE and even if you could I don't think it's advisable getting an immigration officer to mess about with your immigration pack instead just let them process the MBE and not worry their pretty little heads about anything else.

If you do receive the SSA in the post (and unfortunately that remains an if) it should come two to three weeks after POE. If you don't have by then I would go down to your local SSA and apply (it should arrive a week later) and that'll be an interesting experience for you. ;)

DCF London

24 May 2007: Married

28 June 2007: I-130 Sent

3 July 2007: Embassy takes payment

4 September 2007: Still received no NOA1, Embassy in email confirms that I-130 was filed on 3 July

14 September 2007: NOA2

24 September 2007: Received Packet 3

26 September 2007: Sent off DS-230 (part I) and checklist

9 October 2007: Medical

24 October 2007: Interview - APPROVED

9 November 2007: POE - JFK

15 January 2008: Green Card received in the post

Removing Conditions

19 August 2009: Posted 1-751

21 August 2009: 1-751 Receipt Notice

25 September 2009: Biometrics Appointment

14 October 2008: Email from USCIS saying 10 year GC ordered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.