Dr. A ♥ O

Nine killed as car crashes into crowd in Egypt

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I just read this in the portal and my heart raced because my Husband just moved to Hurghada. He got a job as a Doctor there. I think he's ok because I got a message from him early this morning but this is so scary if you know what I mean.

Nine killed as car crashes into crowd in Egypt

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:44am EST

(Corrects location in first paragraph)

CAIRO (Reuters) - Nine Egyptians were killed and seven injured on Monday when a car crashed into a group of people celebrating a religious festival on Egypt's Red Sea coast, security sources said.

The car ploughed into a crowd of hundreds in the town of Hurghada celebrating a local saint. Its brakes had failed, the sources said, adding police were investigating the incident.

The injured were taken to two hospitals in Hurghada, a popular tourist destination on the Red Sea coast.

Reckless driving, lax traffic rules and poor road conditions cause many road crashes in Egypt. A series of road and rail accidents in the past few years triggered a public outcry over the government's handling of road and transport safety.

(Writing by Will Rasmussen; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/i...735854920071217

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Accidents are fairly common there (in Egypt that is). If I were you, I'd stay away from watching the news for accidents, you'll just worry yourself too much.

Hopefully your husband is fine.

Edited by melly

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

whoa.

that's scary..yeah driving is insane there...no one believes in a seatbelt--they exist, but they're just completely ignored...haha...its sick..

::There’s a laugh in my eyes::

There’s a waltz in my walk

And it’s been such a long time

Since there was hope in my talk

If you never knew

What it is that’s new.. it’s you

‘Cause when your hands are in mine

You set a fire that everyone can see

And it’s burning away

Every bad memory

To tell you the truth

If it’s something new.. baby it’s you

It’s you in the morning

It’s you in the night

A beautiful angel came down

To light up my life

The world’s a different place

Where nothing’s too hard to say

And nothing’s too hard to do

Never too much to go through

To tell you the truth

Everything that’s new.. baby it’s you

It’s you in the morning

It’s you in the night

A beautiful angel came down

To light up my life

My life, my life

Ohh

So if I get to grow old (oh if I get to grow old)

With many years behind me (many years behind me)

There’s only one thing I want (aahh)

One thing I need beside me

For all that you are

For everything you do

For all that you’ve done

Just for showing me the truth

::It’s you...It’s you...Baby it’s you::

--Westlife

...alhamdullah...rabbina ya khallena le ba3d fil donya wa fil akhra...ameen...

Timeline

I just found this video of Hurghada and their main strip you drive down. I don't know the people in it but it's a good example of Hurghada. It looks like the video was made just 3 months after I left.

The part where the microbuses are is the Y in the road where they start driving down the main strip until they take a left and then they're off it. I went inside nearly everyone of those shops and even bought my ring there. (Silly me).

Great shopping! Lots of fun!

Edited by OlivianWaleed

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I definitely agree with Melly. Unfortunately people risk their lives all the time there just by crossing the street. You WILL make yourself crazy if you read all the news there. I stopped a while ago but every so often I catch a glimpse of something and I have to call and find out if he's ok.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know there are seatbelts in the front seats but I didn't once see any in any of the backseats that I was in when we took taxis, and we took *alot* of taxis in five weeks.

I'm sure the newer cars probably have seatbelts in the backseat but I just didn't see any.

I find it crazy that only the driver is fined if not wearing a seatbelt. Do none of the other people in the car matter???!!!

And the whole families riding around on scooters without helmets and a baby in front on the drivers lap. Crazy scary.

Before going I thought I would never attempt to drive there. Even after being there for a bit I didn't think I would. By the end of the trip though I could imagine at some point driving there. :D

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Timeline

I don't remember seat belts either.

Here is something really pretty that I found though. It's a 30 sec video of Hurghada strip by night.

Edited by OlivianWaleed

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.