chuckandkim

Visa Waiver for Vietnamese Americans

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My travel agent is applying the Visa Waiver for me. I think it costs the same as applying for a Visa.

Not sure, just saw the site...

Visa Waiver Application for Vietnamese American

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Timeline
Read some articles on this, you could potientally void your US citizenship

Any credible and official proof? or just hear-say?

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Timeline

It didn't state how much it cost? cheaper than visa?

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-11-02

NVC Received : N/A

NVC Left : 2007-12-17

Consulate Received : N/A

HCMC Sent Packet 3 : 2008-01-08

Packet 3 Received : 2008-02-18

HMC reveiced Packet 3: 2008-02-22

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2008-05-12

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Also...

If you are a foreigner married to a Vietnamese person (post 75') then the foreigner can apply for a 5 year multiple entry visa for only $20. As per Vietnamese Embassy in DC, check their web site.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Too bad Viet Nam's so difficult to enter and leave. I do like the idea of having a 5 year multiple entry visa though.

K-1

Service Center :California Service Center

I-129F Sent :2006-06-23

I-129F NOA1 :2006-07-11

I-129F NOA2 :2006-10-11

NVC Left :2006-10-26

Consulate Received :2006-11-02

Packet 3 Received :2006-11-14

Packet 3 Sent :2006-11-15

Packet 4 Received :2007-01-22

Interview Date :2007-02-13 Submit Review

Visa Received :2007-02-14

US Entry :2007-02-20

Your interview took 235 days from filing.

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office :Seattle WA

Date Filed :2007-04-02

BioMetrics: 2007-05-03

Touched: 2007-05-04

Interview: 2007-07-19 PASSED!!!

Employment Authorization Document

Touched: 2007-05-04

Approved: 2007-6-18

Card Recieved: 2007-6-25

Removing Conditions

I-715 Sent California: 2009-4-23

I-715 recieved: 2009-4-24

I-797C NOA recieved 2009-5-16

Biometrics letter recieved: 2009-06-22

Biometrics: 2009-07-10

Approved: 2009-08-13

10 Year Card Arrived: 2009-08-18

Filed: Timeline

ok, slightly off topic, does anyone know how much it cost to apply for visa? i looked everywhere on their website and i didnt see anything about the fee. Also, you have to send in your original passport in order to get the visa? Thanks

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-11-02

NVC Received : N/A

NVC Left : 2007-12-17

Consulate Received : N/A

HCMC Sent Packet 3 : 2008-01-08

Packet 3 Received : 2008-02-18

HMC reveiced Packet 3: 2008-02-22

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2008-05-12

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Timeline
ok, slightly off topic, does anyone know how much it cost to apply for visa? i looked everywhere on their website and i didnt see anything about the fee. Also, you have to send in your original passport in order to get the visa? Thanks

A single entry toursit visa good for 30 days thru the San Francisco Vietnam Consulte is $45. You can call them, (415)922-1707 ext 1 or 2 or 7, but don't be surprised if no one answers or returns your call if you leave a message. Each time I got my visa I had to call several times and leaving a message didn't get a response.

I also checked with the Washington DC Embassy, the fee thru them is $65 for regular processing. They also want two money orders. One for $25 marked Visa Fee and one for $40 marked regualr processing fee. Express processing added another $20 to the procesing money order. Their email didn't say what express processing was compared to regular processing.

I sent my passport and the USPS money order to San Francisco via USPS Express mail with a return USPS Express enevelope. It took about 4 business days to get the visa. They wanted only one money order.

There's a PDF form to download and fill out on the site. Here's the link http://www.vietnamconsulate-ca.org/consularsection.asp

Peter

Timeline
Here's an article about the topic in Vietnamese:

www.nguoi-viet.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asps?a=65295z=85

According to the author, who is the CEO of CIS in Houston, Texas, it's foolish to apply for visa waiver...

Vietnam nowadays has a very weak law system (the forest law: "lua^.t ru*`ng"), the corruption is normal there. Besides, we went out of VN, it means we are no longer the Vietnamese but "Viet kieu", who can has some money to bribe :unsure: . When we come back to VN, it means we are the strangers and we have to follow all the rules of the owners (Nha^.p gia tu`y tu.c).

If they want to arrest anyone, they can do it any time. This new change of visa regulation is no meaning to the matter they will keep you there or let you leave VN. As I told you that's such forest law (luat rung), they can do what they want, it doesn't matter the law regulated or not, only the money can protect you there under the corruption system of government. So, your discussion about the new visa regulation only wastes your time and bother your mind. It's Vietnam, not USA.

Hien

Timeline

This is not where we start an anti-communist war. Anyone who wants one, should have stayed in Vietnam and faught it out.

However, I believe you all just like the rest of those big mouth in Bolsa and Northern Virginia who fear the wrath of VC so much that fled the country and held parades each year on 4/30 to bash VC and re-live the golden days of VNCH.

Here is the news flash, USA has normalized its relationship with VC awhile back. It will take times and no matter what they do, you won't like it, but you won't have a choice. As David Hien said: Jungle Law is what runs the country. Well, you can choose to apply for the visa waiver, or continue your old way to apply for the $30 Visa. I am informing others who actually read and hold the government of VC accountable for what they claim about the new Visa Waiver. SURE, there will be errors and mistakes for this is a new program they implementing, the goal is to benefit both VC and VK. If you think you can just walk in VN and claim: let me in, I am vietnamese, then you're pretty out of your right mind. Even an American born and raised here wouldn't get the luxury if he shows up at JFK International POE and ask to let him in, they won't let him in just because he claims "I am an american". So, when VC asking for your proof of origin, and if you want to obtain the waiver, get in line and who the proper documentation.

I've read a few articles on nguoi viet dot com, quite interesting how these anti-communist-paper-tigers are NOT reporting and giving the vietnamese in the US the whole picture. They themselves also have an agenda. Question from Reader

Moreover, I understand there are fears of losing your US Citizenship if you apply for the Visa Waiver, please someone, find where you have good intelligent official proof that if you apply for the Visa Waiver, you will lose it! You understand in this great country US of A, there is a thing call due-process, even if you have the Visa Waiver, I do not believe Michael Chertoff will stop by and ask for your Citizenship Certificate back.

Bottom line is, from reading what they have on the Ministry of Foreign Affair website (in vietnamese) here is what I understand, and we may discuss to help each other to better understanding new policy. It may or may not work for EVERYONE. Let's read (edits are welcome for my English is not 100% agreed with my Vietnamese) :thumbs:

Điều 1. Đối tượng miễn thị thực

Part I: Who can apply for Visa Waiver

A Vietnam national who reside in a foreign country and the spouse of a Vietnam citizen or Vietnamese whose residency is of a foreign country are permitted to apply for a visa waiver if the individual meets all required conditions:

Người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài và người nước ngoài là vợ, chồng, con của công dân Việt Nam hoặc người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài được miễn thị thực nhập cảnh nếu có đủ các điều kiện:

1. Hộ chiếu nước ngoài hoặc giấy tờ thay hộ chiếu nước ngoài (dưới đây gọi tắt là hộ chiếu) còn giá trị ít nhất 6 tháng kể từ ngày nhập cảnh. Trường hợp người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài không có hộ chiếu thì phải có giấy tờ thường trú do nước ngoài cấp còn giá trị ít nhất 6 tháng kể từ ngày nhập cảnh.

A Foreign Passport, or document in place of a passport (from here to be referred as “Passport”) which is valid no less than 6 months from the day of entry through Vietnam Immigration Checkpoint. For Vietnamese who do not have a foreign passport, they may use “Permanent Residence” document issued by the foreign country which is valid no less than 6 months from the day of entry through Vietnam Immigration Checkpoint.

2. Giấy miễn thị thực do cơ quan có thẩm quyền của Việt Nam cấp.

A Visa Waiver issued by the Vietnam Government Authority

Điều 2. Đối tượng không được miễn thị thực

Who will not be issued a Visa Waiver

1. Không đủ điều kiện nêu tại Điều 1.

Do not meet the requirement in Part 1

2. Thuộc diện "chưa được nhập cảnh Việt Nam" theo quy định tại khoản 1 Điều 8 Pháp lệnh Nhập cảnh, xuất cảnh, cư trú của người nước ngoài tại Việt Nam, cụ thể:

People who are considered “ineligible to enter Vietnam” under the governor of section 1 part 8 of Immigration Law for foreign in Vietnam:

a) Giả mạo giấy tờ, cố ý khai sai sự thật khi làm thủ tục xin nhập cảnh;

forge document, intentionally making false statement when apply for immigration permit

B) Vì lý do phòng, chống dịch bệnh;

epidemic disease prevention

c) Vi phạm nghiêm trọng pháp luật Việt Nam trong lần nhập cảnh trước;

Committed serious crime against Vietnam laws and regulation at the last entry

d) Vì lý do bảo vệ an ninh quốc gia, lý do đặc biệt khác theo quy định của Bộ trưởng Bộ Công an.

To protect National Security , other special reason under the guidelines of the Chief of Police Department

Điều 3. Giấy miễn thị thực

Part 3. Visa Waiver Certificate

1. Cơ quan có thẩm quyền cấp Giấy miễn thị thực gồm:

- Cơ quan đại diện Việt Nam ở nước ngoài;

- Cục Quản lý xuất nhập cảnh thuộc Bộ Công an.

The follow offices can issue Visa Waiver

Vietnam Representative Offices in foreign country

Immigration office of the National Police Department

2. Giấy miễn thị thực có giá trị đến 5 năm và ngắn hơn thời hạn còn giá trị của hộ chiếu hoặc giấy tờ thường trú do nước ngoài cấp ít nhất 6 tháng.

Visa Waiver is valid up to 5 years, and less than the expiration date of the foreign country issued passport or permanent residence document

3. Giấy miễn thị thực được cấp cho từng người. Trẻ em dưới 14 tuổi đi cùng hộ chiếu với cha hoặc mẹ, thì Giấy miễn thị thực được cấp cùng với hộ chiếu của cha hoặc mẹ.

Visa Waiver is issued individually. Children under 14 yrs of age travel with a father or a mother will be issued a Visa Waiver under their parent’s passport.

4. Cơ quan có thẩm quyền cấp Giấy miễn thị thực trong thời hạn 07 ngày làm việc, kể từ ngày nhận hồ sơ hợp lệ.

Visa Waiver will be issued by the authority official within 7 business days when the eligible application is accepted

5. Người được cấp Giấy miễn thị thực phải nộp phí xử lý hồ sơ theo quy định của Bộ Tài chính.

Applicants must submit the required Visa Waiver fees according to guideline of the Finance Department

Điều 4. Hồ sơ đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực:

Part 4. Visa Waiver required documents

1. Hộ chiếu nước ngoài hoặc người chưa được cấp hộ chiếu nước ngoài thì phải có giấy tờ thường trú do nước ngoài cấp (kèm theo bản sao để cơ quan có thẩm quyền lưu hồ sơ).

Foreign Passport or Permanent Residence document issued by foreign country (must include a photocopy for record keeping by the authority)

2. Một trong những giấy tờ, tài liệu chứng minh là người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài theo quy định của pháp luật Việt Nam hoặc điều ước quốc tế mà Việt Nam là thành viên hoặc các giấy tờ được cấp trước đây dùng để suy đoán về Quốc tịch gốc hoặc gốc Việt Nam. Trường hợp không có giấy tờ chứng minh là người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài, thì đương sự có thể xuất trình giấy bảo lãnh của Hội đoàn của người Việt Nam ở nước đương sự cư trú hoặc công dân Việt Nam bảo đảm đương sự là người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài.

Document to proof the applicant is a Vietnamese who lives in a foreign country according to Vietnam laws, or international laws which Vietnam is abided by and a member of that governed agreement, or the previously issued legal document to trace the origin of nationality or Vietnam national. If applicants can not prove they are Vietnam nationals living in a foreign country, they can provide an affidavit of sponsorship by a Vietnamese organization or a Vietnamese Citizen in the foreign country where the applicants live.

Người nước ngoài là vợ, chồng, con của người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài hoặc công dân Việt Nam thì phải có giấy tờ chứng minh quan hệ vợ, chồng, con với người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài hoặc công dân Việt Nam (giấy đăng ký kết hôn; giấy khai sinh; giấy xác nhận quan hệ cha, mẹ, con và các giấy tờ có giá trị khác theo quy định của pháp luật Việt Nam).

Children and spouse of the Vietnam nationals or Vietnamese citizens who live in a foreign country must show proof of relationship (wife, husband, child) with a Vietnam nationals who live in foreign country, or Vietnamese citizen (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certificate of legal father, mother, child and other documents under the governor of Vietnam laws)

3. Trường hợp không có các giấy tờ quy định tại khoản 2 Điều này, đương sự có thể xuất trình giấy tờ do cơ quan có thẩm quyền của nước ngoài cấp nếu trong đó có ghi đương sự là người có quốc tịch gốc hoặc gốc Việt Nam để cơ quan có thẩm quyền của Việt Nam xem xét cấp Giấy miễn thị thực.

If applicants do not have any document required in part 2, applicants may submit document issued by the government of the foreign country where they live to show proof of origin or Vietnam origin for the Vietnamese authority to review to issue Visa Waiver.

4. Tờ khai đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực (theo mẫu).

Form Application of Visa Waiver (see form)

Điều 5. Hủy Giấy miễn thị thực

Part 5 Withdrawal of Visa Waiver Certificate

1. Người được cấp Giấy miễn thị thực sau đó nếu phát hiện những vấn đề không đủ điều kiện theo quy định tại Điều 2 Quy chế này sẽ bị hủy Giấy miễn thị thực.

The authority will withdraw Visa Waiver Certificate if they find the Visa Waiver holders are ineligible or met the requirement in Part 2

2. Cơ quan đại diện Việt Nam ở nước ngoài thực hiện việc hủy Giấy miễn thị thực đối với người được cấp đang ở nước ngoài. Cơ quan quản lý xuất nhập cảnh thuộc Bộ Công an; lực lượng kiểm soát xuất nhập cảnh thuộc Bộ Quốc phòng (Bộ đội Biên phòng) tại cửa khẩu thực hiện việc hủy Giấy miễn thị thực đối với người được cấp đang tạm trú ở Việt Nam hoặc đang ở cửa khẩu Việt Nam.

Vietnam Representative Office in foreign country that issues the Visa Waiver to applicant has the authority to withdraw the Visa Waiver. Immigration Office of the National Police Department, Immigration Inspection Office of the Defense Department (Border Protection Army) at Point Of Entry, has the authority to withdraw Visa Waiver certificate issued to an individual who temporarily stay in VN or at the POE.

3. Trường hợp bị hủy Giấy miễn thị thực không được hoàn trả phí xử lý hồ sơ.

Application fee will NOT be refund when Visa Waiver Certificate is withdrawn

Điều 6. Thời hạn tạm trú tại Việt Nam

Part 6. Length of Temporary Stay in VN

Người nhập cảnh Việt Nam bằng Giấy miễn thị thực, được tạm trú tại Việt Nam không quá 90 ngày cho mỗi lần nhập cảnh. Người tạm trú quá 90 ngày phải làm thủ tục xin cấp thị thực theo quy định hiện hành trước hoặc sau khi nhập cảnh Việt Nam.

Visa Waiver Holders who enter VN may temporary stay no more than 90 days for each entry. Individuals who temporarily stay more than 90 days must apply for Visa as the current immigration policy before and after entering VN.

Điều 7. Tổ chức thực hiện

Administer Authorities

1. Bộ Công an chủ trì phối hợp với Bộ Ngoại giao và Bộ Quốc phòng triển khai thực hiện Quy chế này. Bộ Công an ban hành mẫu Giấy miễn thị thực, mẫu Tờ khai đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực và mẫu Giấy bảo lãnh, sau khi trao đổi thống nhất với Bộ Ngoại giao. Ministry of Police oversees and cooperate with the Ministry of Foreign Affair and the Defense Department to implement and administer the Visa Waiver policy. Ministry of Police issues Visa Waiver Form, Application Form, Affidavit of Sponsorship Form after review with the Ministry of Foreign Affair.

2. Bộ Ngoại giao thông báo cho các cơ quan đại diện nước ngoài tại Việt Nam và phối hợp với Bộ Giao thông vận tải thông báo cho các hãng hàng không quốc tế biết, tạo điều kiện thuận lợi cho người mang Giấy miễn thị thực đến Việt Nam.

Ministry of Foreign Affair to communicate with all foreign representative in Vietnam and cooperate with the Department of Transportation to inform all international airlines, to conveniently assist Visa Waiver holders.

3. Bộ Tài chính hướng dẫn chế độ thu, nộp và sử dụng phí xử lý hồ sơ cấp Giấy miễn thị thực.

Ministry of Finance provides guidelines in collecting and spending application fees for Visa Waiver Certificate

MORE.............

II. Hồ sơ đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực

Application of Visa Waiver Package

1. Đối với người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài, hồ sơ gồm:

Vietnam national who permanently reside in foreign country includes:

a. 01 Tờ khai đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực (theo mẫu);

01 Application of Visa Waiver

b. 02 tấm ảnh màu mới chụp cỡ 4x6 cm, phông nền trắng, mặt nhìn thẳng, đầu để trần, không đeo kính màu (01 tấm ảnh dán vào Tờ khai, 01 tấm ảnh để rời);

02 color photos size 4x6 cm, white background, face forward, no headdress, no sunglasses (affixed one photo in the application, leave one for other use)

c. Hộ chiếu nước ngoài hoặc giấy tờ có giá trị thay thế hộ chiếu của nước ngoài còn giá trị ít nhất 6 tháng kể từ ngày nhập cảnh. Nếu không có hộ chiếu thì phải có giấy tờ thường trú do nước ngoài cấp còn giá trị ít nhất 6 tháng kể từ ngày nhập cảnh. (kèm theo bản chụp để cơ quan có thẩm quyền cấp Giấy miễn thị thực lưu hồ sơ);

A foreign passport or document in place of a foreign passport still valid no less than 6 months from the date of entry. If applicants do not have a passport, must provide a permanent residence document still valid no less than 6 months from the date of entry (including photocopies for record keeping by the issuance authority)

d. Một trong những giấy tờ sau (kèm theo bản chụp để cơ quan có thẩm quyền lưu hồ sơ) nếu có:

- Giấy chứng nhận có quốc tịch Việt Nam; (Certificate of Vietnamese Citizen)

- Bản sao hoặc bản trích lục Quyết định cho trở lại quốc tịch Việt Nam; (Copied Certificate of Re-Naturalization to Vietnam Citizen)

- Bản sao hoặc bản trích lục Quyết định cho thôi quốc tịch Việt Nam; (Copied Certificate of Stop Claiming Vietnam Citizenship)

- Giấy xác nhận mất quốc tịch Việt Nam; (Certificate of Loss of Vietnam Citizenship)

- Hộ chiếu Việt Nam (còn hoặc đã hết giá trị); (Vietnam Passport, valid or expired)

- Giấy chứng minh nhân dân (còn hoặc đã hết giá trị); (Vietnam Citizen ID, valid or expired)

- Giấy khai sinh (kể cả bản sao); (birth certificate, copied is ok)

- Thẻ cử tri mới nhất; (Voter Registration Card, latest)

- Sổ hộ khẩu; (Family Book)

- Sổ thông hành cấp trước 1975; (Passport issued before 1975)

- Thẻ căn cước cấp trước 1975 (Vietnam Citizen ID Card issued before 1975)

- Tờ trích lục Bộ giấy khai sanh cấp trước 1975; (Birth Cerfiicate issued before 1975)

- Giấy tờ do cơ quan có thẩm quyền của nước ngoài cấp nếu trong đó có ghi người được cấp giấy tờ đó có quốc tịch gốc hoặc gốc Việt Nam. (Document issued by the foreign country authority states the individual who carries this document has an original VN passport or VN origin.

e. Trường hợp không có các giấy tờ tại khoản (d) thì nộp một trong những giấy tờ sau:

e. if applicants can not provide the required documents in section (d), please submit one of the following forms:

- Giấy bảo lãnh của Hội đoàn của người Việt Nam ở nước ngoài ở nước đương sự cư trú (theo mẫu quy định); Certificate of Sponsorship by a Vietnamese organization in a foreign country where applicants currently live (see form)

- Giấy bảo lãnh của công dân Việt Nam (theo mẫu quy định). Certificate of sponsorship by a vietnam citizen (see form)

Hai loại Giấy bảo lãnh nói trên không cần phải có thủ tục xác nhận hoặc chứng thực thêm.

These two certificate of sponsorship do not need to be certified

2. Đối với người nước ngoài mang hộ chiếu nước ngoài là vợ, chồng, con của công dân Việt Nam hoặc người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài, hồ sơ gồm:

Foreign national whose spouse or children are Vietnam Citizen or Vietnamese who live in foreign country need to include:

a. 01 Tờ khai đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực (theo mẫu); One application of Visa Waiver (see form)

b. 02 tấm ảnh màu mới chụp cỡ 4x6 cm, phông nền trắng, mặt nhìn thẳng, đầu để trần, không đeo kính màu (01 tấm ảnh dán vào Tờ khai, 01 tấm ảnh để rời); 02 color photos size 4x6 cm, white background, face forward, no headdress, no sunglasses (affixed one photo in the application, leave one for other use)

c. Hộ chiếu nước ngoài còn giá trị ít nhất 6 tháng kể từ ngày nhập cảnh (kèm theo bản chụp để cơ quan có thẩm quyền lưu hồ sơ); A foreign still valid no less than 6 months from the date of entry. (including photocopies for record keeping by the issuance authority)

d. Một trong những giấy tờ chứng minh quan hệ vợ, chồng, con với người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài sau đây (kèm theo bản chụp để cơ quan có thẩm quyền lưu hồ sơ):

Submit one of the follow document as proof of spousal relationship with Vietnamese who live in foreign country (including photocopies for record keeping by the issuance authority)

- Giấy đăng ký kết hôn; (Application of Marriage License, Certified Copy of Marriage License)

- Giấy khai sinh;(Birth Certificate)

- Giấy xác nhận quan hệ cha, mẹ, con; (Certificate of Relation for father, mother, child)

- Các giấy tờ khác có giá trị theo quy định của pháp luật Việt Nam; (other document as required by VN Laws)

- Quyết định nuôi con nuôi.(Certificate of Adoption)

3. Việc cấp lại, cấp từ lần 2 Giấy miễn thị thực:

Re-issue Visa Waiver

Trường hợp xin cấp lại Giấy miễn thị thực (do mất Giấy miễn thị thực, Giấy miễn thị thực hết giá trị hoặc được cấp hộ chiếu mới) tại cơ quan cấp lần đầu, người đề nghị chỉ cần làm 1 Tờ khai, không cần xuất trình giấy tờ chứng minh là người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài.

Re-apply for Visa-Waiver (re: lost, expired, or applicants have new passport) at the office where applicants initially apply for Visa Waiver. Applicants only need to fill out the Application form and will not not to re-submit all other required documents as proof of VN origin.

Trường hợp xin cấp lại Giấy miễn thị thực (do mất Giấy miễn thị thực hoặc Giấy miễn thị thực hết giá trị) tại cơ quan khác với cơ quan cấp lần đầu thì người đề nghị nộp hồ sơ và thủ tục giải quyết như cấp lần đầu.

Re-apply Visa Waiver due to lost or expired at another office other than the initial one, applicants must follow all requirement as if applying for visa waiver the first time.

III. Thủ tục đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực

Methods to request a Visa Waiver

Người đề nghị cấp Giấy miễn thị thực có thể trực tiếp hoặc gửi qua đường bưu điện Tờ khai, hộ chiếu/giấy tờ thường trú bản chính và các giấy tờ chứng minh có nguồn gốc Việt Nam hoặc quan hệ vợ, chồng, con với công dân Việt Nam hoặc người Việt Nam định cư ở nước ngoài (bản chính kèm bản chụp)

Visa Waiver Applicants can apply in person or via postal service the Original application, passport/permanent-resident card and all proof of VN origin documents or marriage, parents/child relationship with a VN citizen or VN who live in a foreign country (including photocopies for record keeping by the issuance authority)

IV. Thời hạn cấp Giấy miễn thị thực (Timetable for issuing Visa Waiver)

07 ngày làm việc kể từ ngày nhận đủ hồ sơ hợp lệ.

07 business days from the receiving date of the complete application.

Edited by chuckandkim

Timeline

Chuck,

Is this now also required for Vietnamese Citizens living overseas that hold a US Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)?

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

STL_HCMC,

No, if you have a green card, that means you don't have US citizenship - you are still a Vietnamese citizen. You can enter Vietnam with your valid, unexpired Vietnamese passport, and return to the US with your green card. My sister has done just that, without any problems. If your Vietnamese passport expires, then you would renew it at VN embassy in Washington DC (although it could take a while), I think.

sealedkiss

Chuck,

Is this now also required for Vietnamese Citizens living overseas that hold a US Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)?

STL_HCMC

2006-11-08...I-129F sent to TSC

2006-11-14...I-129F received

2006-11-20...NOA1

2006-11-22...Check cashed

2006-11-27...Touched

2007-02-12...Touched...approved

2007-02-13...Touched

2007-02-20...NOA2 letter arrives in the mail

2007-04-05...Packet 3 received in HCMC

2007-04-12...Packet 3 returned to consulate

2007-05-25...Packet 4 received

2007-06-27...Interview...passed

2007-06-28...Visa received

2008.........2-year green card

2010.........10-year green card

2012-04-03...N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox

2012-04-05...N-400 delivered.

2012-04-06...NOA

2012-05-03...Biometrics

2012-05-07...Placed in line for interview scheduling

2012-06-18...Interview letter received

2012-07-23...Interview date (Newark, NJ)

2012-07-23...Oath

Timeline

Thanks, sealedkiss!

STL_HCMC

STL_HCMC,

No, if you have a green card, that means you don't have US citizenship - you are still a Vietnamese citizen. You can enter Vietnam with your valid, unexpired Vietnamese passport, and return to the US with your green card. My sister has done just that, without any problems. If your Vietnamese passport expires, then you would renew it at VN embassy in Washington DC (although it could take a while), I think.

sealedkiss

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.