Jump to content
Amanjot Singh

affidavit of support

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,
My fiancé's tax return for 2016 is less than poverty level. If we don't want to have cosponsor, is it possible to go with savings or it is risky? How the savings should look like? If there is a big deposit will it look suspicious? and if not can i  put my biological mothers husband as my co sponsor will it look good. he owns good assets but due to disabilities he don`t file tax returns. guys plz helps us out we need ur help... 

looking forward for your all replies 

thank you 

Edited by Amanjot Singh
mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amount of savings (assets) you need depends on the difference between your fiance's income and 125% of the poverty line.  What is his income amount?

 

Why would there be a big deposit?  Be careful here, if you are talking about having someone else deposit money into an account temporarily for immigration purposes and then withdrawing it later on, you might run into legal ramifications.

 

If you have a cosponsor, your cosponsor needs to prove they have income that meets or exceeds 125% of the poverty line.  Cosponsors cannot use assets to qualify.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jayjayj said:

The amount of savings (assets) you need depends on the difference between your fiance's income and 125% of the poverty line.  What is his income amount?

 

Why would there be a big deposit?  Be careful here, if you are talking about having someone else deposit money into an account temporarily for immigration purposes and then withdrawing it later on, you might run into legal ramifications.

 

If you have a cosponsor, your cosponsor needs to prove they have income that meets or exceeds 125% of the poverty line.  Cosponsors cannot use assets to qualify.  

as per her last income tax she filed $14911 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correction - You need to show income or assets or a combination of the two at a 100% level of the poverty line for a K-1 visa - not 125%.  If you use assets, they need to be five times the poverty line or five times the difference in income and the poverty line.  

 

In 2017, the poverty line for a household with 2 people is $16,240.  So, you would need approximately $6,645 in assets - ($1,329 x 5).

 

However, you will need to meet the 125% requirement only a few months later when you file for the green card, after getting married.

 

This explains it fairly well -

 

http://www.k1approved.com/k1-visa-tips/fiance-visa-income-requirements/

Edited by jayjayj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jayjayj said:

Correction - You need to show income or assets or a combination of the two at a 100% level of the poverty line for a K-1 visa - not 125%.  If you use assets, they need to be five times the poverty line or five times the difference in income and the poverty line.  

 

In 2017, the poverty line for a household with 2 people is $16,240.  So, you would need approximately $6,645 in assets - ($1,329 x 5).

 

However, you will need to meet the 125% requirement only a few months later when you file for the green card, after getting married.

 

This explains it fairly well -

 

http://www.k1approved.com/k1-visa-tips/fiance-visa-income-requirements/

i have one more query that she is adopting her sisters son which is in process and  who is dependent on her but we didn't mentioned him before on any other form if we mention him on i-134 will it be ok ??? and she is getting income from foster care too can we take it as income but no taxes are deducted from it can we add it too to count income requirements..???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amanjot Singh said:

Hi everyone,
1) My fiancé's tax return for 2016 is less than poverty level. If we don't want to have cosponsor, is it possible to go with savings or it is risky? How the savings should look like? If there is a big deposit will it look suspicious?

2) if not can i  put my biological mothers husband as my co sponsor will it look good. he owns good assets but due to disabilities he don`t file tax returns.

3) i have one more query that she is adopting her sisters son which is in process and  who is dependent on her but we didn't mentioned him before on any other form if we mention him on i-134 will it be ok ??? and she is getting income from state as foster care too can we take it as income but no taxes are deducted from it can we add it too to count income requirements..???

guys plz helps us out we need ur help... 

looking forward for your all replies 

thank you 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×