1 post in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Greetings everyone,

I want to give a little background about myself to those interested. I am a DACA recipient who came to the US as a child and my mother petitioned for me under category F2A when she became a resident a few years ago (she is now a US Citizen). Although my visa has been available for years it is only until now that I can begin the consular process because my I-601A waiver was just recently approved and the NVC has already been notified. 

Now, I was putting together the supporting documents when to my endless despair I discovered the following bombshell in the NVC reciprocity schedule for Colombia:

"Military Records:  Unavailable. Colombian citizens over 18 years of age should have their Military    Carnets (Libreta Militar), First Class for those who have served with the armed  forces and Second Class  for those who have obtained an exception."

I immediately contacted the NVC and, after speaking with two agents, this is the best answer I got: while the NVC might not require this document in light of the fact that I grew up in the states and never served in the Colombian military there is no guarantee that the consular officer in Bogota won't ask me for it. 

I have since spent hours online trying to determine if there is a way for me to get this document from abroad and there isn't any. I can apparently get a provisional card (tarjeta miliar provisional) through the official recruitment site but, according to endless comments on many forums, it is a slow and sometimes outright pointless process, i.e. many people end up having to report in person even if they submit the information online. 

I e-mailed the Embassy in Bogota but have not received a response yet.

I know that many, perhaps most, Colombian men who go through consular processing have their Libreta militar and they may have included it as part of their consular package just to be safe, but was it asked of them at the interview? And, more to the point, does anyone know from first hand experience if this document will in fact be requested of me at the interview? I am almost certain that the NVC won't mind if I don't submit it based on my conversation with the agents, but I wonder if the officer at the Embassy will.

Thank you in advance for any insight. 

Edited by Immigrant2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.