ManamiDogFan

How to Get Married in Japan?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My fiancé is an US citizen coming from the US but are we supposed to go to the local city hall first to get married in Japan? And then after that we go to us embassy? My immigration lawyer said we can do extreme hardship waiver but my fiancé and I want to know the steps for marriage in Japan.

we went here but still a bit confused. He only has 3 days to stay in Japan 

Edited by ManamiDogFan

Filed: Other Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Wow, it's been 16 years since my Japanese wife and I got married, and I was living and working in Japan at the time.

As far as I remember, the American will need to go to the closest embassy or consulate and swear he is sane. The marriage will need to be registered at your local yakuba or shiyakusho. BUT, when I did that, I was living in Japan, not just on a tourist visa like it sounds in your situation. 

NOT EASY TO DO because you will get lots of recorded messages, but I would try and call the closest American embassy or consulate and ask them. In Fukuoka it wasn't hard to get a live person, Tokyo was much more difficult.

ガンバレ!おめでとうございます!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.