Jump to content

Procedure after getting married

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiance and i are thinking to get married in 5 days and i came here in a B2 (turist visa) we have being together for almost 3 years ( distance relationship) when i enter i never though that we would be gettig married, we basically don't want to travel back and forth, we wanna be together,  my visa stamp expired in 10 days, that would be an issue Such a short time between our marriagr down in the city hall and the day i should depart? 


Can i stay and make an adjustment of status aftee we get married?


Many thanks for ur answers

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mean to say your visa will expire in 10 days, but you plan to get married in 5 days? 


You can stay and do adjustment of status from your B2 to permanent resident, but are you ready for that? Cost is one thing to consider, but what about your life back in your home country? This process could take 6 months to a year generally speaking. Do you not have any business to wrap up? A job to quit? Documents to secure/grab? You cannot return to your home country without at least obtaining an Advanced Parole document, which may take at least 3 months, if not more depending on your case. You cannot work here without an EAD, which will take generally 3 months. Can your future spouse support you until then and then some? What evidence of bona fide marriage would you have if you kept coming and visiting on a visitor's visa? Are you confident that between now and the interview date you'd be able to arrange all of this? 


It's not impossible, but it's not a light decision to make. Why not take a look at the I-130/I-485/I-131/I-766/I-864 documents you have to submit on the USCIS.gov website first? Read through the required evidence and supporting documents that need to be submitted with your application so you know what you are planning to get yourself into. 

Edited by Cadence

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much Cadence,


I know its not a light decision, i left everything ready at home bc i came for college hunting too, and by the moment i'm not working, we were even thinking in the fiance visa at first but then we though why not just go to the city hall andget married and leave the big ceremony for later on, like in a few mothns


And yeah we are planning to go the City hall in the next week and my Admision Stamp expired on the 20th of January, so that is why i was wondering if i could do the Adjustment Status!


Many thanks for ur help and sure i'll be checking those forms, i think i got a lot of those documents already!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant I-765, not I-766. Slip of the finger!


I also came on a B2 visa then switched to an F-2. Been in the U.S. ever since until I got married and adjusted status recently. If you have questions, hit me up. I can try to share what I can of my own process and experiences. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.