Test90

Filed I-751, but living separate now

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am trying to keep my story as short as possible:

My wife and I (F1 Student at the time) married in 2013, filed for the AOS and I received my GreenCard. The whole process and interview went very smoothly just like our marriage. In July of 2016 we mailed the I-751 form in, along with evidence, I shortly after that went to my biometrics appointment. Now, for me our whole marriage was great, to me my wife is still as before the love of my life and I want to stay together with her and grow old together.

However, early November/late September, she opened up to me that she is very unhappy with our marriage and that she wants to separate for now. We still have great contact, but she is staying with her parents at the moment.

I don't want to go too deep into why she is/was unhappy with our marriage, but it mainly is about me distancing myself from her family, as her mother is (in my opinion) severely mentally ill, but her entire family ignores it. I had a very good relationship with my father in law, but after my mother in law left him without any notice and then came back as if nothing happened months later I didn't want to have any contact. It went as far as to my father in law accusing us of just taking his money, when the truth is that we supported him throughout this difficult time for him while going grocery shopping and draining our savings for him. (After my wife told me about how she felt, I reached out to him and talked through everything. We now see each other again on a weekly basis and have a good relationship)

After all this happened and my wife finally told me how she truly felt, we had long talks and she thought it would be best for her to move in with her parents. I deeply regret everything that happened in the past year and there is a lot that could have been handled better. I talked to her multiple times that I would be open for couple's counseling, but she does not want try this. Now the problem is, the I-751 is submitted and we expect to hear back from the USCIS around February, If we have an interview (which I guess is not very common for the I-751?), we would both go together, but we would explain the situation as soon as we would arrive. I still hope we reconcile and she has not mentioned anything about divorce to me.

Just to mention this again, we still have very good contact. We talk throughout the day daily, exchange gifts for Christmas, and I still care deeply for her. She tries to work through everything by herself and it seems as if she is unsure about how she feels about me going forward.

What should we/I do?

Is there a chance we might get denied?

Should we get some more evidence of us entering the marriage in good faith? (I.e. get some Affidavits from friends who know us together, which we haven't submitted with the I-751)

Is my plan the right way to go and just be upfront with the officer during the interview?

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by Test90

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from ROC to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.