AC SQRD

Montreal Interview Confusion

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everybody, ive been following and learning as much as i can by doing hours of searching and reading but my head is spinning with all the info! I still have a couple of questions i was hoping somebody out there could clarify for me. Our interview is scheduled in Montreal on June16, ill post what i know and then ask what im confused about.

Ok, so here we go...

1. I know I-864 originals+copies are needed from me and my joint sponsor. Im confused if originals means signed in ink by joint sponsor. Do they have to mail the actual paper version to me since they are located in the US and im living abroad with my wife in Canada?

2. I know the Interview letter requests items specific to our case, original birth cert, mariage cert, police cert, passpot ect. What i dont know is that it also asks for eligibility document but passport and birth cert has been listed separately so what could it be?!?

3. I know that 2014 tax transcripts are needed at interview since we are past the April15 deadline but i am living abroad and and that automatically allows a 2 month extention correct? On top of that, i have also just mailed IRS tax extention form 4868 in the hopes that it will be received and recorded online that i have asked for an extention. What i dont know is will my wife be ok to bring in tax transcript to interview showing extention in the case that it reflects online before June16? Or in the case that it doesnt reflect the extention what other option do i have?

4. i know i have 2 options when i get around to filing my 2014 taxes, MFJ or MFS. My plan is to file MFS so that i dont have to list worldwide income due to lack of time and mail paper copy to IRS with spouse SSN listed as NRA and then amend return once my wife gets actual SSN (God Willing). What i don't know is will that work?

AAAAAAAAAGH! Like i said my head is spinning and i feel like im stubling to the finish line. Somebody please point me in the right direction!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

1. I know I-864 originals+copies are needed from me and my joint sponsor. Im confused if originals means signed in ink by joint sponsor. Do they have to mail the actual paper version to me since they are located in the US and im living abroad with my wife in Canada?

You do need the actual original of the I-864, signed and all. You have plenty of time to get those mailed to you, but to be on the safe side, you could ask them to send it to you through express or something. But yes, you do need to signed version and a copy.

2. I know the Interview letter requests items specific to our case, original birth cert, mariage cert, police cert, passpot ect. What i dont know is that it also asks for eligibility document but passport and birth cert has been listed separately so what could it be?!?

That is likely exactly what it is. My bet is that you filed electronically, and therefore only sent scans of official documents so far. They just want to see the originals of each document previously sent.

3. I know that 2014 tax transcripts are needed at interview since we are past the April15 deadline but i am living abroad and and that automatically allows a 2 month extention correct? On top of that, i have also just mailed IRS tax extention form 4868 in the hopes that it will be received and recorded online that i have asked for an extention. What i dont know is will my wife be ok to bring in tax transcript to interview showing extention in the case that it reflects online before June16? Or in the case that it doesnt reflect the extention what other option do i have?

I think you should be ok with the extension form, but I don't know for sure about that bit, so I will let other pitch in...

4. i know i have 2 options when i get around to filing my 2014 taxes, MFJ or MFS. My plan is to file MFS so that i dont have to list worldwide income due to lack of time and mail paper copy to IRS with spouse SSN listed as NRA and then amend return once my wife gets actual SSN (God Willing). What i don't know is will that work?

We followed the misguided advice of my husband's accountant and filed SINGLE! I was worried it would cause problem at the interview (we are, after all, trying to prove we are a real deal couple, with the plan of comingling financial ressources in a very near future)! The good people of VJ were right though: it was no problem at all at the interview. The CO just glanced at the I-184, and just looked at the total amount on the 1040 and that was that. No questions asked about the "single" field, no eyebrow raised, just a smile, a nod, and a "Welcome to the USA" letter! So since either MFJ or MFS are both valid, legal options (compared to our terribly stupid "Single"), you'll be just fine! :)

“Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires.”

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Meeting Online / Fall 2010

Met in Person / January 2011

Engaged / November 2012

WEDDING DAY! / March 8th 2014

I-130 sent / May 5th 2014

NOA1 Received / May 15th 2014

NOA2 Received / October 6th 2014

DS-260 + I-864 sent / January 19th 2015

Case Completed / March 30th 2015!!!

Montreal Embassy Interview / May 19th 2015 APPROVED!

Visa in hand / May 25th 2015

POE / June 27th 2015

Home in SD / July 2nd 2015

SSN Received / July 8th 2015

Green Card in hand / July 26th 2015

AOS / ... 2017

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Marie-Eve you are a blessing, i can finally get some sleep! Cant thank you enough for the guidance and direct answers. My wife and I owe you guys a drink!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Marie-Eve you are a blessing, i can finally get some sleep! Cant thank you enough for the guidance and direct answers. My wife and I owe you guys a drink!

You are VERY welcome! If only you knew how many times the good folks of VJ helped us during this process, it is really countless times we got our peace of mind back thanks to some members of these forums! So keep the questions coming, as the answers provided (by me and everyone else here) will not only help you but also the many others who will be freaked out by the immigration process in the future! Because hey, if it was simple it would not be fun! ;)

“Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires.”

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Meeting Online / Fall 2010

Met in Person / January 2011

Engaged / November 2012

WEDDING DAY! / March 8th 2014

I-130 sent / May 5th 2014

NOA1 Received / May 15th 2014

NOA2 Received / October 6th 2014

DS-260 + I-864 sent / January 19th 2015

Case Completed / March 30th 2015!!!

Montreal Embassy Interview / May 19th 2015 APPROVED!

Visa in hand / May 25th 2015

POE / June 27th 2015

Home in SD / July 2nd 2015

SSN Received / July 8th 2015

Green Card in hand / July 26th 2015

AOS / ... 2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.