DiVen

Tracking Visa AFTER Interview and before VFS / "BACKGROUND CHECK"

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My fiance had her K1 Fiance Visa interview last week and was approved by the CO. She has been visiting VFS to check if they have received the Passport yet for her to pick up.

However, today (3rd business day, 5th day since interview), the lady at VFS told her something new that has essentially got us both very confused and down.

She said that her system says that they are "performing a background check on her paperwork" and told her to come back next week. My fiance asked her if this meant it was under AP, and what they were missing. The VFS lady told her she is not sure if it is AP, and they will email her when they find out.

The VFS Passport tracker still says "Under Process at the US Consulate." We know we have nothing to worry about since our application is 100% true and accurate and we are not hiding anything - however, after a wait of 8 months, we are anxious to be with each other and every single day is painful to go through. And, with VFS's record for emailing us, we know we are probably never going to hear back from them either.

CAN ANYONE HELP US FIGURE OUT WHAT IT GOING ON? Can DOS help here? Who do we call to find out what is going on. What do we do?

I wouldn't be freaking out if it was just a delay of processing to send the passport to her, but now, with this new "background checking," I'm worried that our application has gone into AP, and we don't even know why. Our wedding is 45 days away, and I have spent over $15,000 in deposits and payments to book all the vendors, venue, band, DJ, caterer, flowers etc. - ALL of which is non-refundable.

Edited by DiVen

Timeline

I know what youre going thru. Our case was put into AP and was finally cleared and my fiance submitted his passport on the 8th but we still haven't gotten any word back from them. When I called the DOS the day my fiance got the phone call and they told me that they wanted him to submit the passport but when I called this morning I was told that our case was still under AP so I have no idea what to think...

Timeline

I called DOS last week and was told to call back in a couple days.

I called again today, and they told us that our case is under administrative processing. She said there is no requirement for any documents and that the consular officer is reviewing the case before granting the visa. She told me to call back again in a couple days.

Our journey has been so difficult every step along the way. Now we have this. Our wedding is around 40 days away in Texas and if she cant be here by then, we will loose a ton of money too.

Every single day being apart is very painful and we both hurt a lot for each other.

PLEASE HELP! We feel completely helpless because there is nothing we can even do about it. PLEASE!!!

Timeline

After doing some research on VJ, I read that I can contact my Congressperson about this to see if they can help. I just called my Congressman's office and explained my situation. They grabbed all our details and told me that they will have a case worker contact me later today or tomorrow to get information, have a privacy statement signed, and put in a Congressional Inquiry since I am one of their tax-paying constituents. They said that Congressional Inquiries can take up to 30 days.

Anything else I can do? Please help!! We are both very distraught and feel completely helpless.

Timeline

My Congressman's Case worker contacted me this afternoon and requested a Privacy Release and an explanation of the inquiry and copies of any receipts we have for the wedding venue and vendors. They said they will get sending the Congressional Inquiry out ASAP, but it may take as long as 30 days to get a response.

Thanks for your support and please let us know if you think of anything else. Hopefully this nightmarish bureaucratic process comes to an end for us soon and we can finally be together stateside and start our new lives together.

Timeline

I flew back to Bombay on Friday to be with my fiance. Called the DOS on Friday afternoon right before I left to the airport, and I was told that the visa was issued on Friday and we should have it soon. I couldn't believe my ears and thought to wait till it was confirmed when we had the passport back in hand. My fiance got a text today that the passport was ready for pickup at VFS. We drove over there , and sure enough, the passport was ready, with the Visa in it!!

I also received an email from my Congressman's office today that said the same thing. Their congressional inquiry was received by the consulate on the 29th and the Visa Cheif's office replied that they were glad to notify them that the visa had been issued on the 31st. The expedited administrative processing of the visa may or may not have anything to do with the inquiry, but needless to say, I'll be voting for my congressman's party and donating generously to his next campaign when the time comes!!

We are extremely happy and we fly to Texas together this weekend to start our new lives together. Also, our wedding is still on schedule in Texas and we haven't had to cancel any of the vendors.

Thanks to all of you guys for your guidance and support!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I flew back to Bombay on Friday to be with my fiance. Called the DOS on Friday afternoon right before I left to the airport, and I was told that the visa was issued on Friday and we should have it soon. I couldn't believe my ears and thought to wait till it was confirmed when we had the passport back in hand. My fiance got a text today that the passport was ready for pickup at VFS. We drove over there , and sure enough, the passport was ready, with the Visa in it!!

I also received an email from my Congressman's office today that said the same thing. Their congressional inquiry was received by the consulate on the 29th and the Visa Cheif's office replied that they were glad to notify them that the visa had been issued on the 31st. The expedited administrative processing of the visa may or may not have anything to do with the inquiry, but needless to say, I'll be voting for my congressman's party and donating generously to his next campaign when the time comes!!

We are extremely happy and we fly to Texas together this weekend to start our new lives together. Also, our wedding is still on schedule in Texas and we haven't had to cancel any of the vendors.

Thanks to all of you guys for your guidance and support!

Happy to hear that! Congratulations! :) May God bless you both!

XrVRp5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.