danae

dual citizenship

3 posts in this topic

OK, so Im wondering.....when my child is born, will it have dual citizenship of the USA AND the UK?? Or as it will be born in the states, will I have to apply for a visa for it for the UK should we ever decide to move there??

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I believe it would get UK citizenship through you, but after you register the birth/request a passport at the UK consulate/embassy of your area. I am from a European country (not the UK) as well and that's all I had to do.

I just googled this:

Registering a birth in the US

Consular Section, 3 March 2005

Please read the noted before downloading the application form

Notice to British-born parents applying to register the birth of a child

Although we welcome applications to register the births of children born in the USA to British-born parents, you should be aware that this is not obligatory.

A Registration certificate is a useful document to help establish a child's British nationality, but it is perfectly acceptable to apply directly for a British passport, without first registering the birth with us.

Nevertheless, we recommend that British parents born outside of the UK, and those people currently working in the USA on UK Government service, should register their child's birth using the forms on this website.

You can find the form and everything here .

Edited by churipu

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

OK, so Im wondering.....when my child is born, will it have dual citizenship of the USA AND the UK?? Or as it will be born in the states, will I have to apply for a visa for it for the UK should we ever decide to move there??

Go to the following URL from the British Embassy.

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/article...016&a=25315

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.