paustin

Getting married in Cambodia

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

it's fast to get the permission. You walk in, and you walk out with it. Just go there, ask you want to marry. And, voila! Your notarized permission slip for you take her to the zoo. Don't bother wasting your money on a third pary. The whole process is one week to get ther cert.

Wow, that's very nice information you give there. I didn't expect that Cambodians cannot leave the country during 2012. Sounds like the CR1 is the route then - But Niels, you still have not replied to me how long would it take for me to get permission to get marry her as far as the government concerns from the date that I visit the embassy to get instruction to a point that I can "officially" marry her and come back to the US?

Is there a 3rd party in Cambodia that can help me speed up the "permission" process?

Edited by Niels Bohr

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

it's fast to get the permission. You walk in, and you walk out with it. Just go there, ask you want to marry. And, voila! Your notarized permission slip for you take her to the zoo. Don't bother wasting your money on a third pary. The whole process is one week to get ther cert.

LOL Zoo?

DO you happen to know what documents they need for that permission application? Because if I fly to Cambodia, I am stuck if they need something that is in fact in the US!

Also, is that permission = marriage cert.? Or After we're married, then go where to get marriage cert.? That's the evidence they need to file for the I-130 for CR1, correct? Does cambodian consular office processes CR1 category?

Timeline

I forgot where the marriage cert was issued. You'll find out in Cambodia. All you need is your finger, and a US passport. Make sure every document you get from government are both in English, and translated to Cambodian. Never loose it. Regardless if you come back to the US. Don't ever loose it! You'll need it when you adjust status.

Also, the consulate process all visas. This includes CR-1. Another thing is don't have your wife apply for a visitor visa while you're filing the paperwork in the US once you are back.

I forgot where the marriage cert was issued. You'll find out in Cambodia. All you need is your finger, and a US passport. Make sure every document you get from government are both in English, and translated to Cambodian. Never loose it. Regardless if you come back to the US. Don't ever loose it! You'll need it when you adjust status.

Also, the consulate process all visas. This includes CR-1. Another thing is don't have your wife apply for a visitor visa while you're filing the paperwork in the US once you are back.

Man, I just found out that I cannot marry her because my monthly income is not $25,000. Will have to go with engagement but does that rule apply to engagement as well?

Timeline

You might want to try here for advice. They are great people.

My link

Man, I just found out that I cannot marry her because my monthly income is not $25,000. Will have to go with engagement but does that rule apply to engagement as well?

You might want to try here for advice. They are great people.

My link

Hey Niels, I found out from my fiance that for engagement no need to go to district office or even consular office to get the "permission" only marriage requires that. Where did you get that information from? It's so confusing...

Timeline

Permission to marry is direct from the US Embassy. You need permission from the US Embassy. They dictate if you can marry or engage a local (Cambodian) legally. Without that, you cannot have the K1, K3, or even the CR1 Visa.

You can marry or engage without permission, but, when you file your petition in the states. You will encounter problems. It's best to be safe. Rules may have changed. But, always consult with the US Embassy first! Or it may affect you when you file the petition.

Hey Niels, I found out from my fiance that for engagement no need to go to district office or even consular office to get the "permission" only marriage requires that. Where did you get that information from? It's so confusing...

Edited by Niels Bohr

Permission to marry is direct from the US Embassy. You need permission from the US Embassy. They dictate if you can marry or engage a local (Cambodian) legally. Without that, you cannot have the K1, K3, or even the CR1 Visa.

You can marry or engage without permission, but, when you file your petition in the states. You will encounter problems.

I meant to say that for engagement (k1), my fiance said no need for permission, but for the marriage, I will need the permission to marry her in Cambodia legally.

You can certainly try. Never done a fiancee visa before. I might be wrong on this. Trying to help you out as much as possible.

Thank you Niels. Did you do K3/CR1 before? I saw your country is Cambodia, are you from there or your wife is from there? It has been real helpful info you have provided so far, thank you really much!

Timeline

Yes, I did the K3 a few years back. My wife is from there. I didn't know my wife until my first time in Cambodia. Didn't even know I was going to marry. The moment I discovered her history, the more regretful I would be to leave her when I left that month.

Her parents died when she was five years old. She only have 3 half-siblings (different father) who kinda look after her. You know how Cambodians are, if you are the last sibling and a half-blood, you don't get any respect. My wife barely had respect from 2 of her siblings. If you never been to Cambodia before, you'll find out shortly that it is a culture shock to you even if you are Cambodians. You learn that the rich never respect the poor. That even if Cambodian is one of the poorest country in the world, you'll ask why everyone is driving a Lexus (40,000-60,000 USD). No financing, but, purchased outright. Anyway, regarding my wife, she has been poor most of her life. With her status being this way, she is never selfish, never robbed anyone, or ripped off anyone. She once worked in a Thai restaurant nearly 24 hours a day. Her nails were literally destroyed. This shows me what type of person she is. A kindhearted person. There's more, but, don't have time to write.

I just like to share that most Cambodians will do everything to get a greencard to the US. Once they get it, they'll run away. I know how my wife thinks. She will never runaway.

Thank you Niels. Did you do K3/CR1 before? I saw your country is Cambodia, are you from there or your wife is from there? It has been real helpful info you have provided so far, thank you really much!

Yes, I did the K3 a few years back. My wife is from there. I didn't know my wife until my first time in Cambodia. Didn't even know I was going to marry. The moment I discovered her history, the more regretful I would be to leave her when I left that month.

Her parents died when she was five years old. She only have 3 half-siblings (different father) who kinda look after her. You know how Cambodians are, if you are the last sibling and a half-blood, you don't get any respect. My wife barely had respect from 2 of her siblings. If you never been to Cambodia before, you'll find out shortly that it is a culture shock to you even if you are Cambodians. You learn that the rich never respect the poor. That even if Cambodian is one of the poorest country in the world, you'll ask why everyone is driving a Lexus (40,000-60,000 USD). No financing, but, purchased outright. Anyway, regarding my wife, she has been poor most of her life. With her status being this way, she is never selfish, never robbed anyone, or ripped off anyone. She once worked in a Thai restaurant nearly 24 hours a day. Her nails were literally destroyed. This shows me what type of person she is. A kindhearted person. There's more, but, don't have time to write.

I just like to share that most Cambodians will do everything to get a greencard to the US. Once they get it, they'll run away. I know how my wife thinks. She will never runaway.

Are you a lawyer? Seems like you have very good knowledge about this whole process - I have been to Cambodia once and met her and her family, and I do understand what you are saying about the whole rich, poor, half blood stuff - when she met you did she speak very good english and whether or not they conduct the interview in English?

I also have a shaddy past history with criminal history only once back 1997, since then I never do anything stupid like that agian, do you think that would cause any issues for her K1 visa? She's aware of my past.

Edited by paustin

Timeline

Shady past. It's not like you are getting a security clearance to work for the federal government. Usually, when it happened long ago and not habitual or repeated, it's not important to the adjudicator who is overseeing your case. I wouldn't worry.

Just to let you know, during the interview, you can opt for English or in Khmer. The interviewer can be of European descent who speaks very fluently Cambodian, and can read and write as well. My wife doesn't speak English when she arrived. But, in her visa interview, a white american woman interviewed her in Khmer.

I'm not a lawyer, but, I was once like you. Worried about the process. There are people who you know personally in your life who says things about the interview, the entire process, etc... to scare you. They will make you scare away by saying how difficult things are. What I'm telling you is do your research, follow instructions, and fill the forms completely. There's nothing to be scared about. Ignore what others say around you because you know exactly what is going on in the process. Most likely, people who been through the process have hired lawyers to file the paperwork for them and they got not a clue as to what is going on. They will say crazy stuff that seems unreal. That is usually the case. It's fiction story that they would tell.

You'll do fine. Have confidence.

Are you a lawyer? Seems like you have very good knowledge about this whole process - I have been to Cambodia once and met her and her family, and I do understand what you are saying about the whole rich, poor, half blood stuff - when she met you did she speak very good english and whether or not they conduct the interview in English?

I also have a shaddy past history with criminal history only once back 1997, since then I never do anything stupid like that agian, do you think that would cause any issues for her K1 visa? She's aware of my past.

Hey Niel, can you PM me I have some personal questions to ask you.

Shady past. It's not like you are getting a security clearance to work for the federal government. Usually, when it happened long ago and not habitual or repeated, it's not important to the adjudicator who is overseeing your case. I wouldn't worry.

Just to let you know, during the interview, you can opt for English or in Khmer. The interviewer can be of European descent who speaks very fluently Cambodian, and can read and write as well. My wife doesn't speak English when she arrived. But, in her visa interview, a white american woman interviewed her in Khmer.

I'm not a lawyer, but, I was once like you. Worried about the process. There are people who you know personally in your life who says things about the interview, the entire process, etc... to scare you. They will make you scare away by saying how difficult things are. What I'm telling you is do your research, follow instructions, and fill the forms completely. There's nothing to be scared about. Ignore what others say around you because you know exactly what is going on in the process. Most likely, people who been through the process have hired lawyers to file the paperwork for them and they got not a clue as to what is going on. They will say crazy stuff that seems unreal. That is usually the case. It's fiction story that they would tell.

You'll do fine. Have confidence.

• 3 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.