roseTX

Korean insults Filipino Accents

22 posts in this topic

Whatever her motive was, that doesn't really matter now. There are many Filipinos in the Philippines who can speak English well (fluently and accurately) and they make fun of those who can't construct good English sentences. It's pure baloney to find that actress (or whatever she has said) contemptuous.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm a pale American. I think the video is offensive as well, because I have respect for Filipinos - most of whom speak 3 languages (local language like Cebuano/Bisaya or Ilocano, etc, plus Tagalog and English), and almost all the rest speak 2 (Tagalog and English).

Try to notice the overall attitude of this presentation. They said "ooh" "aah" about her American and British accents. Then their facial expressions and body language change when they bring up the Filipino English teacher accent. The actress makes her face look like a dimwit, and she obviously makes every attempt to butcher the accent, exaggerating every minor difference. Also take note of the graphics appearing on the screen and the sound effects for each accent. For the Westerners, there's a positive audio bit with a simple "perfect" on the screen. For the Filipino accent, there's goofy sounds and goofy exclamation points on the screen as soon as she starts talking.

It should be noted that she has apologized (read the description) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObKBUpoh320

However, she seems to be lying in her apology, if that's actually her apology. And, it seems to not be an actual apology, but that she's trying to pretend like she did nothing wrong. In the original video, I can hear the host (or whoever it is) saying "Pilipin", and the user-added subtitles show the phonetic spelling of the Korean words he's saying which translate into asking about a Filipino English teacher. This means that she did in fact know that it was about the Philippines, contrary to her claims in the so-called apology.

It's very possible that she has no ill-thoughts about Filipinos, but she did insult them with her actions. Then she did what most celebrity types do and pretended to apologize by essentially saying "that's not really what I did, you misunderstood me", rather than own up to her actions and genuinely repent. It's considered especially insulting because of it being a "Filipino English Teacher" mockery, when so many Koreans learn English from Filipinos. It gives an impression that her (and perhaps Korea's) attitude is very condescending toward Filipinos.

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my previous post, the youtube video was supposed to be a link. The description contained on that video's page is what I am referring to. Just clarifying in case my post was confusing

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I saw a much longer cut of this video over on pinoyexchange.com.

That woman forgot to mention that the average Korean can't speak English worth a damn, :bonk:...and all the Koreans go to 'Pinas to take English lessons from Pinoys! :lol:

Mabuhay ang 'Pinas! :thumbs:

True, Toni was an ESL teacher to a bunch of young koreans a few years ago. She said that they knew almost no english at all, one guy was so bad that when he talked to her, he had to get out a dictionary and point the words out that he wanted to say. I know it's sort of wrong, but I laugh hard when she does their accents.

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

i see this hoopla has reached VJ already. my opinion...i do have to agree with Adam &Thet on this one. i think all my kababayans who got their undies in a bunch need to take a chill pill. its sad that filipinos will complain about everything they heard that they did not like that has "filipino" attached to it in a comedy show or any show with a lighthearted conversation in it. i dont want to say it...but its sooo hypocritical. we forget that we have our very own celebreties who makes skits making fun of other nationalities at times. i wish filipinos would stop acting like spoiled brats and stop over reacting about everything! the whole world knows that filipinos are smart and literate. so a comment about how a filipino sounds like will not sink the country into deep bad publicity...because we elect people to do that type of demolition job.

so lets lighten up and just roll with the punches. we're smart enough people to know which fight get heated on...and we all know these types of silly childish comments ain't one of them. again....filipinos have done their own share of insults, lets be sports about it when its our turn to be given the same medicine. like my buddy says...don't dish it out if you cant handle the heat.

I-130 for wife and kids

---------------------------------------------

02/11/2010: I-130 as an LPR mailed certified

02/25/2010: Recvd letters-I-130s was recvd

06/17/2010: Oathtaking - Became a US Citizen

06/21/2010: Called USCIS to let them know to update my I-130 from an LPR petition to a USC petition.

06/25/2010: Case for both sons Touched

06/28/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Oldest son)

06/30/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Wife & youngest son)

07/19/2010: G-325A returned. Incomplete.

07/30/2010: Completed G-325A mailed back via certified mail

08/04/2010: Certified mail delivered at Laguna Niguel

08/07/2010: Touched - UCSIC received reply to RFE

08/13/2010: I-130 APPROVED!!! (recvd email update)

NVC JOURNEY

08/20/2010: NVC recvd I-130 and case number assigned

09/01/2010: Recvd AOS fee bill & DS-3032 via email

09/02/2010: Paid AOS fee & DS-3032 sent back via email

09/13/2010: AOS packet mailed via UPS

09/15/2010: AOS signed for by NVC. IV fee for wife & kids ready.

10/07/2010: Per AVR/NVC - Need to correct I864W for kids

10/11/2010: DS-230 packet & corrected I-864W sent to NVC via UPS

10/15/2010: Recvd and signed for by NVC

11/02/2010: NVC online fee payment portal SIF. NVC adviced that final stages of review.

11/03/2010: AVR - APPLICATION COMPLETED!!

11/10/2010: Medical...1st day at St. Luke's

11/12/2010: Pick up results for Medical - PASSED!

11/16/2010: USEM interview scheduled on 12/14/10

12/14/2010: VISAS APPROVED!!!!

12/20/2010: Visas received

02/22/2011: Cali bound

i see this hoopla has reached VJ already. my opinion...i do have to agree with Adam &Thet on this one. i think all my kababayans who got their undies in a bunch need to take a chill pill. its sad that filipinos will complain about everything they heard that they did not like that has "filipino" attached to it in a comedy show or any show with a lighthearted conversation in it. i dont want to say it...but its sooo hypocritical. we forget that we have our very own celebreties who makes skits making fun of other nationalities at times. i wish filipinos would stop acting like spoiled brats and stop over reacting about everything! the whole world knows that filipinos are smart and literate. so a comment about how a filipino sounds like will not sink the country into deep bad publicity...because we elect people to do that type of demolition job.

so lets lighten up and just roll with the punches. we're smart enough people to know which fight get heated on...and we all know these types of silly childish comments ain't one of them. again....filipinos have done their own share of insults, lets be sports about it when its our turn to be given the same medicine. like my buddy says...don't dish it out if you cant handle the heat.

honestly, if shes a comedian maybe I will laugh at her making fun of our accent but really shes not. Its not even funny the way she said it. I like this actress before but now that I saw this video I felt like shes too stuck up and also the man next too her is irritating "over pluto" man. hehehe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.