incanada1234

Got the Visa!!!!!!!!!!!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone, we're back! Here's our little story.

We left Tuesday afternoon and stayed in Cornwall, Ontario (didn't want to stay in Montreal since we had heard bad things). I slept 2.5 hours that night because I was totally nauseous with nerves. Cornwall's about an hour from the US consulate in Montreal so we were up at 5AM and on our way by 5:45. We didn't have breakfast because quite honestly, there was no way we could have held anything down.

Anyway, the traffic was really almost non-existent even in downtown Montreal (maybe because it was only 7AM by then). We found the consulate almost right away (ALMOST. we actually passed the street and had to turn around but it only set us back about 5 minutes). There were about 4 people standing outside waiting for the doors to open. No one was really in any sort of line so we just went right up to the front and waited by a guy standing against the door. When the security officer unlocked and opened the door at 7:30ish, we actually were the first ones inside because the guy in front of us didn't have his interview letter or passport ready and we did (nyah nyah! lol).

Hubby and I made sure we brought almost NOTHING into the consulate. We brought our wallets, car keys, and a grocery bag full of papers, that's it. Security is quite strict and tense, they check EVERYTHING. I was surprised they didn't slap a latex glove on and start feeling us up :P They used a metal detector on my hubby but not me, I guess I look so innocent. :innocent: hee.

We were told to wait downstairs until about 8AM. We sat in the first row of chairs closest to the elevator and sure enough, we were the first people in line for the elevator once the officer came down to take us upstairs. The elevator was PACKED, it sucked. You could tell everyone was nervous and I whispered to my husband, "Not tense at ALL in here." He smirked and couldn't look at me for the rest of the way up because he was going to burst into laughter. As soon as the elevator opened, I immediately turned left and made a U-turn to window 14 (they tell you which window to go to, so don't worry if you can't remember on your way to the interview). Once again we were the first in line waiting for the window open. At that point we had been first in line for everything, so I turned to my husband and said quietly, "I love visa journey!" :D He just laughed and agreed. The window opened and the lady gave us our number, C1, and told us to have a seat.

Pretty much ALL the "A" numbers (fiancee visas, I'm guessing) were called before ours, even though were first in line. Oh well, I have to admit they were pretty quick.

Finally after about 30 minutes of waiting, C1 popped up on the electronic sign! Good thing we hadn't eaten breakfast because at that moment I would have definitely been seeing it in regurgitated form on the floor of the US consulate. ;) We went to the window and the guy started asking us questions; he talked quite fast and you can't hear all that well since they're behind a glass window. Almost right away he asked, "When were you married?" And I triumphantly declared "August 12, 2002!" My husband said, "Uh, no. OCTOBER 12, 2002." I felt so BLOODY stupid, hahahahaha! I was running on so little sleep, NO food, and I was nervous as hell, so I think the guy understood. He replied, "Gee, I ask you one question and you can't even get it right, Marissa!" hahahahahah crikey, it was an embarassing moment. :blush: He was pretty nice though; he had a deadpan humor so it was sometimes hard to tell if he was joking. He took hubby's medical stuff, his passport photos, passport, my mom's 2005 tax info, and my 2005 tax info and then told us to wait again (yay :rolleyes: ).

More waiting, this time hubby feeling like he wanted to vomit, more counting the tiles on the floor. 15-20 minutes later we were called into room 8 (small room with a door) and had our official interview.

Ok, here's where it gets easy, guys. The interviewer was sooooooooooooo SO goshdarn nice. He immediately put us at ease. I really wanted to hug the man. He asked the basic questions (how did you meet? what do you do for a living? what will you do when you get to the U.S.?) and then, seriously, we all just started talking about stuff as if we were friends. We asked where the Americans that worked there lived (since it's so close to New York) and he said Montreal. Said they all get restationed every two years. Told us he was from Wyoming and that he loves Utah. It was like we were sitting at a diner having lunch and a nice conversation, LOL. He was totally great. He took hubby's fingerprints and that was it. We were like, "No seriously, that's it? You'll just mail the Visa then?" He replied, "Yep. You guys don't seem like criminals, you're fine."

It was the greatest experience! All that worrying and nausea and lost sleep for nothing! We didn't even meet any rude Montrealers! ;) Seriously, all in all we had an easy time. Not stress-free - but easy. Best part of the entire immigration process, ironically enough.

Good luck to everyone on their upcoming interviews!

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:dance:Congratulations! :dance:

:dance::dance::dance::luv::dance::dance::dance:

I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing. I know I will be really nervous the day of our interview.

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Timeline

WTG !!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!

It's great to hear good news every now and then :)

Angela

***I751***

01/06/2009 - Mailed I-751 with Fee (Day 1)

01/09/2009 - Check Cashed (Day 3)

01/15/2009 - NOA received (Day 9)

02/05/2009 - Biometrics Appointment (Day 30)

06/10/2009 - Approval!

Congrats, Marissa! :thumbs:

You didn't meet any rude Montrealers because they aren't all like me. :D

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Congrats, Marissa! :thumbs:

You didn't meet any rude Montrealers because they aren't all like me. :D

Haha ;) Then again, we only met TWO Montrealers at a cafe afterwards. They seemed nice.

For those of you with interviews coming up, I know you're most likely going to be nervous but honestly, it was quick and painless. The worst part of course is the waiting. THAT'S when your nerves kick in. Otherwise, unless you're a big criminal or something, you'll do just fine. :yes:

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Congrats and thanks for posting your experience! :thumbs:

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline
Congrats! I wasn't able to get a good night's sleep the entire time I was in Montréal too. :D

are you glad all over cos its OVER :thumbs:

sorry you missed my fave canuck city , I have had lovely times

in montreal since coming to canada in 1976.

my destiny has been intertwined with montreal and barcelona.

never thought hogtown was for me, and soon I will depart for southern climes.

hopefully "bound for glory"

have no nerves at all except that medical results are not known till envelope is open.

but dr at seidens reckoned all was a ok.

just heard from montreal that it is required to bring x-ray

and a portfolio is permitted

laters red :devil:

thxs for your story ,it was a good one.

Nope, no fees for CR1/IR1. I mistakenly thought there was a $100 fee but apparently it's just for fiancee visas. It was nice to learn that we "saved" $100 :D

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.